Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only 5 on Autotrader right now

On 14/11/2017 at 10:49 AM, BUG4LIFE said:

Do you know if you can keep extending warranty, so if you've got a warranty on a 2008 ISF that runs out 2019 can you buy an additional 2 years as it's about to expire...does that make sense?!?!

Did anyone know the answer to this? Can you keep extending the warranty even though the car would be over 10 years?

...it does reach a point though when self insuring makes sense. My car is worth (08, 80k) £15grand.  Spending a grand on warranty a year seems a huge cost on top of the road tax.  

and indi fixed my misfire and fitted two new HID headlights for 800or so. Yes the warranty would have covered the misfire - dunno about the lights as I imagine bulbs are excluded - so I'm still quid's in.

what would really pee me off is having the warranty and them turning down a claim, as insurers do... 

I basically accept the risk of a large bill on what is a 9 year old car that cost 60k plus when new.  pays ya money takes ya choice... 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lotusdave said:

...it does reach a point though when self insuring makes sense. My car is worth (08, 80k) £15grand.  Spending a grand on warranty a year seems a huge cost on top of the road tax.  

and indi fixed my misfire and fitted two new HID headlights for 800or so. Yes the warranty would have covered the misfire - dunno about the lights as I imagine bulbs are excluded - so I'm still quid's in.

what would really pee me off is having the warranty and them turning down a claim, as insurers do... 

I basically accept the risk of a large bill on what is a 9 year old car that cost 60k plus when new.  pays ya money takes ya choice... 

This ^
Totally agree.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toothy said:

This ^
Totally agree.

Here here 👍........and out of interest was the misfire due to a rear plug issue??

to add the value, a friend of mine in the trade (maindealers) “cap’d” the car recently and they have been at £16500 for the last six months, so fellow F drives this could well be the bottom n the only way is up 😊

1 hour ago, lotusdave said:

£1k a year maybe too much but lexus extended warranty is only £895 for 2 years and inc full european breakdown cover which If worth a fair bit each year itself. To me its a no brainer and one of the main reasons i am going to keep the car and not upgrade to a newer model.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 9:53 PM, BUG4LIFE said:

Did anyone know the answer to this? Can you keep extending the warranty even though the car would be over 10 years?

Going back to my question...I've been chatting to a very helpful lady at a Lexus dealer today and asked about extending the warranty beyond 10 years if it's continuous. She went to find out, came back and said no you can't do this!

So, if I was to buy a 2008 ISF through a dealer today [which would have a normal 1 year warranty applied to it] and wanted to buy the £895 2 year warranty a year down the line, I wouldn't be aloud!!

Something for me to now think about.

My understanding is that you can purchase the warranty right up to the 10th year so in theory you could buy the two year one a day before the car is 10 and you will still be covered up to a day before its 12th birthday, obviously at that point you cannot extend it. On my first ISF I had the warranty, it covered a water pump but nothing else went wrong so didn't pay for itself although I think it helped when I sold the car. Currently on my 2nd ISF and no warranty and as others have said there is little that goes wrong. I do have a service booked in end of Jan and may take out the warranty as this will cover the car until age 12 but to be honest it would be put on to make a sale easier should I go down that route.

• Like 2

Yeah I could do that. I would just have to factor in spending £900 Before it turns 10. I do have faith in the reliability of the car (one of the things that attracts me to it) but as is being discussed on the ‘true cost’ thread, an ISF can of course be expensive should something go wrong.

I can try talking the dealer into extending the 1 year warranty into 2 though I guess, FOC?!

They have offered the 2 year warranty for £895 for ages. When they say "we're currently offering you 24 months for the price of 12" its just a marketing tactic to make you think you're special and getting a better deal.

8 hours ago, Dave400SE said:

They have offered the 2 year warranty for £895 for ages. When they say "we're currently offering you 24 months for the price of 12" its just a marketing tactic to make you think you're special and getting a better deal.

Yeah, that is a good price for 24 months on such a car.

But, I was wondering if a dealer would up their normal used car warranty, of 1 year, to 2 years to secure a sale...I can but ask I guess!!!

8 minutes ago, BUG4LIFE said:

Yeah, that is a good price for 24 months on such a car.

But, I was wondering if a dealer would up their normal used car warranty, of 1 year, to 2 years to secure a sale...I can but ask I guess!!!

Yes. When I bought my IS-F I got three years thrown in