Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do you allow your other half to drive your LS?.

Not if I can help it!. I have had to do a small job on her '05 Mercedes C320 oil burner today (again). I knew she would ask to borrow my LS to get to work, but I had pre-empted that one, telling her I needed it to go and get stuff for her car as hers was not safe to use until fixed. It meant having to give her a lift of course, but heyho. She is a wonderful, calm and patient woman - until she gets behind the wheel, then she grows horns. The road is hers, nobody else has the right to be there at the same time as her. Woe betide anyone who even thinks of overtaking her or burning her away at the lights. Don't bother, you won't win.  The language sometimes is quite shocking from someone who otherwise would say nothing worse than 'damn'. Having said that she has never had an accident in the 25 years I've known her (probably caused a lot though).  She was taught to drive by an ex Met. Police training geezer who apparently preferred his pupils to use the gearbox for slowing down, touching the brake pedal was a last resort and reserved for emergencies or 'pansies' only!. It took me years to get out of the habit of hovering my right foot over the imaginary brake pedal when I was a passenger and thinking 'I would have been braking by now'. 

She absolutely loves the LS, as do I, and admits that it is a far superior car to her Merc. though the LS is 8 years older. We have had no amount of older Mercs, W124's a W126 and a few 190e's all far better cars than more modern Mercs. They were great up until about '95, then took a nosedive. 

Must go, I've got to go and pick her up. Guess which car I shall be taking.

• Haha 1

More than happy to let my good lady take my old lady out for a spin, but she thinks it too much of a barge so rarely does it happen.  The fact that I do not have Bluetooth is also a factor in not liking it, so she has to make do with my choice of music if ever she takes it out.

Her motor is a 10 year old XJ type 2litre V6, nice car, but not a patch on the 400.  I only drive the jag to keep my use of manual gearbox skills up to scratch.

Never had that situation my other half has never held a driving licence!

She is also petrified of going in any car including the LS after she was in a car involved in a fatal accident and lost her Auntie.

Now got used to going on the train to the airports pulling at least 50kgs behind me, although we are driving down to our local airport next holiday.

No... 

my 1st ever LS was in my garage as i was changing a light bulb and had a jag on drive blocking the ls , mrs said to save you jumping in n out of jag to take ls out of garage she’d take LS out once i moved jag... unknown to her as LS engine so quiet, it was already running and as she hadn’t driven a auto before she started to shift the gear stick to get the feel of it,

it started to reverse back and she panicked and hit the accelerator ...zooming back towards jag she threw it into drive and shot forward thru the front of garage, bricks n tools went flying, she refused to get out of car as thought i was going to shout at her, i wasnt i was just wanting to make sure she was ok.... since that day she has never asked or attempted to drive any of my lexus,

even more so coz the size of the LS600hL, 

if i ever see her even looking at my keys i’ll Remind her of that day 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Never had that situation my other half has never held a driving licence!

She is also petrified of going in any car including the LS after she was in a car involved in a fatal accident and lost her Auntie.

Now got used to going on the train to the airports pulling at least 50kgs behind me, although we are driving down to our local airport next holiday.

That's really bad news.  Hopefully, as time marches on she might manage to overcome her fear.

Of course. I like being a back seat passenger :-) She's driven much larger machinery than the LS so it's pretty easy for her. Besides, having her on my insurance actually reduces the premiums. She's also pretty observant. Recently, I swapped out the rubber steering rack bushes for poly and she noticed straight away, commenting how much less slack there was in the steering and what I had done. She's also noticed the odd noise that my none-too-great hearing has missed.