Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reg change what happens to MOT

1 minute ago, jackcramerr said:

Looking at this car. It had a private plate now another plate. There is no MOT history online. The private plate reflects another new car. The new plate doesn't show up.

How can I dig anything out? Thanks

That would be correct i had a private plate on a car that was written off . When i put it on to a new vehicle, and sold to purchase the lexus dealer said it was written off.

I had to explain it was my previous car.

Can someone tell you the original reg plate detail?

I kept all my original plate detail (and the plates). Usually, the original number would be re-assigned back to the car it came from. At least that was what DVLA told me when i put my private plate on this car.

5 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Can someone tell you the original reg plate detail?

I kept all my original plate detail (and the plates). Usually, the original number would be re-assigned back to the car it came from. At least that was what DVLA told me when i put my private plate on this car.

You are correct in that the original plate is reassigned to the vehicle normski, in my case mine was written off with the private plate attached.

I agree you should be able to get a mot history of the original plate if one exists. Are you putting the correct reg number in jack.

hi,sounds a bit strange as you should be able to get the mot history off one or the other,if number plate has only been changed recently from private to original or vice versa it can take a few days.You can  to a certain extent even check the mot on cars that have been scrapped or written off

It is possible to check MOT on the car with all it's previous number plates, but not via online service. I assume that is what @jackcramerr is trying to do, online it would only show car MOT history with the number plate currently attached e.g. if it is original it would show only services before and after private plate was attached, it would show mot history of the car on which private number plate is now as well, but not historic MOT's of other cars that private plate was on. DVLA obviously holds the MOT history for all MOTs, but I guess the only way to find out is to request it from DVLA after you make purchase, optionally you can ask current owner to request it and provide it if you have questions, but I guess that would not go well with seller. 

On 17/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, jackcramerr said:

Sent reg to iwonder

Send me the private reg and the original reg too and I shall take a look as well. The more the merrier.

Usually, if a car has a private plate and then the private plate is taken off, the original plate would go back onto the car along with all the details. Although there is no lag time in DVLA databases for this, there could well be a lag time in the online search system. 

Right so original reg of that particular car is showing up as a range rover. 

It's also been under another plate reg M1YAN.

DVLA hasn't updated yet so the MOT history is still under M1YAN

Screenshot_2017-11-20-21-48-59.png

Screenshot_2017-11-20-21-49-07.png

Screenshot_2017-11-20-21-49-14.png