Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reading text messages and emails

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

Any idea how I can set it up so that it does it?

I've looked everywhere!

I didn't do anything,. It just worked after pairing the phone. Just got to be careful if your mates send a text and your wife's in the car :whistling1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

My 2016 RC can read out texts but not emails. This is a limitation due to the phone not the car. You need to check your phone's compatibility with the car's system.

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Bluetooth/searchdedicated.aspx?lang=en

Thanks Peter. According to that it should work with texts but I don't know how to set it up!

9 minutes ago, stevet said:

I didn't do anything,. It just worked after pairing the phone. Just got to be careful if your mates send a text and your wife's in the car :whistling1:

I wish mine would!

5 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Thanks Peter. According to that it should work with texts but I don't know how to set it up!

On the Premium system one selects Menu-Setup-Telephone-Message settings, then set the desired options

Excuse my ignorance but isn't your phone reading out the messages and pumping the sound thru the cars speakers? So something triggers in the messaging app when BT is connected.

I have Tasker setup to read ALL messages when BT is connected. This is on Android using the Notification Listener plug in, which is the key to hooking into message notifications. It's a bit fiddly to setup tho.

If I have the Bluetooth tethering setup on the phone, so the car Nav system can connect to the internet and download traffic info, the text messaging readout doesn't work.

I have no setting to enable the phone to read out texts but clearly something happens when connected to the car system.

Mine doesn't have the messages setting either. I am not certain that this feature actually exists on the 'early' version of the navigation system (the one which doesn't have wi-fi and Street View).

The navigation manual for the 'early' version (OM30D64E) makes no mention of reading texts, whereas the manual for the 'later' version (OM30E40E) does. Maybe it was a feature added in the 'later' version?

2 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Mine doesn't have the messages setting either. I am not certain that this feature actually exists on the 'early' version of the navigation system (the one which doesn't have wi-fi and Street View).

The navigation manual for the 'early' version (OM30D64E) makes no mention of reading texts, whereas the manual for the 'later' version (OM30E40E) does. Maybe it was a feature added in the 'later' version?

That makes sense. Sadly!

3 hours ago, Farqui said:

Excuse my ignorance but isn't your phone reading out the messages and pumping the sound thru the cars speakers? So something triggers in the messaging app when BT is connected.

I have Tasker setup to read ALL messages when BT is connected. This is on Android using the Notification Listener plug in, which is the key to hooking into message notifications. It's a bit fiddly to setup tho.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a luddite. That's all Greek to me!

9 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I'd like to know the answer!

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that they changed the hardware as well when they introduced the wi-fi, which meant a software upgrade alone wasn't possible. I have no reference to support that though, so it may still be worth asking the dealer.

"Hey Siri, read me my texts" may work if you have an Iphone and it's powered on and connected to Bluetooth in the car. Farqui described an Android alternative which does the same thing automatically when texts arrive. Whatever phone you have, it might be easier (and a whole lot cheaper) to work out an on-phone solution rather than an in-car one.

Mine is an early 2013 premium system and reads out texts and I think emails too. I just paired my phone and dint set anything on either phone or car. I have a Sony Android handset. As your a 2014 car i would think yours should do it.

One obvious question - have you recieved messages that the car hasnt acknowledged - ie you know it definatly isnt working? For example I usually have my data off, so its very rare my phone picks up emails whilst Im in the car...

On 15/11/2017 at 12:46 PM, Ala Larj said:

Can my car do this?

I have a 2014 GS300H and yes it can & does read out emails & texts. I didn't do anything other than Bluetooth link my phone a galaxy S6 edge.

Works very well.

Podcasts with description etc appear on screen to. 

I actually don't want emails popping up & read out rather just have texts but seems you cant have one without the other:winkiss:  

Much depends on what phone you have. Some are compatible some are less so.

I also have Google search enabled. Install an android app called Blue DUN on your phone for it to work. (The GS uses a dial up connection protocol!!) Then you can search for eg. Tesco and it searches the local shops & sets the nav to the one you select. Basic but useful.

Evidently my assumption that it was only a feature on the later navigation systems was incorrect! 

It is definitely not present on my system when connected to an Iphone, but maybe that's the issue seeing as everyone so far who has said it works is using Android. The connected services won't work with an Iphone, so maybe this feature won't work either.

I just connected my LG flex2  android phone  by Bluetooth to the car and it worked. When navigating with Sat nav it will sometimes just say 'incoming mezsage' if making a turn and it will then display the message on screen after manoeuvre is complete. You then select the 'read' option and it reads the text out loud. 

My car is early 2015 just pre face-lift luxury spec.