Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello All,

Turns out I brought an IS250 SE-L with a duff A/C! It seemed to have worked ok during 2016, however it plain old let me down this summer. I got it re-gassed, only for all the new gas escape within a week.  AC technician said it looked like it had never been re-gassed in 10/11 years, they then did an investigation to find the root cause. Only issue is they do not install or supply parts anymore.

I need the following:
Condenser
2 x O rings for the compressor
2 x O rings for the condenser

Does anyone else here have any experience with replacing this?
My main query relates around what brand of condenser to buy? Import a Denso (which I am guessing is OE) 477-0636 (original 8846053030 from the US (rockauto) for £70 (probably £90ish including customs here), or should pick a pattern part from the UK? https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/oen/8846053030
Any ideas on part number for the O rings, just buy two of each?
90099-14119    
90099-14120    
90099-14121

I've been quoted £150 for labour and a new re-gas?

Thanks in advance,

Len

4 minutes ago, LennyLexus said:

Hello All,

Turns out I brought an IS250 SE-L with a duff A/C! It seemed to have worked ok during 2016, however it plain old let me down this summer. I got it re-gassed, only for all the new gas escape within a week.  AC technician said it looked like it had never been re-gassed in 10/11 years, they then did an investigation to find the root cause. Only issue is they do not install or supply parts anymore.

I need the following:
Condenser

My main query relates around what brand of condenser to buy? Import a Denso (which I am guessing is OE) 477-0636 (original 8846053030 from the US (rockauto) for £70 (probably £90ish including customs here), or should pick a pattern part from the UK? https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/oen/8846053030
90099-14119    
90099-14120    
90099-14121

Thanks in advance,

Len

4 minutes ago, LennyLexus said:

Hello All,

I need the following:
Condenser

90099-14119    
90099-14120    
90099-14121

Thanks in advance,

Len

The o rings are rubber i assume? If so just buy a kit of different sizes. Can you not purchase this condenser from uk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Lexus-IS-MK2-250-Genuine-OE-Denso-A-C-Air-Con-Condenser/292236276881?hash=item440aa3b491:g:f00AAOSw6nNZqZla

Did they tell you the fault? as in condenser is leaking or joint to condensor is leaking? You might be able to get away with just the seals if it is just the joint, which is pretty common. Valeo would probably be easier to get a hold of if you want to pickup from a local parts shop.

7 hours ago, madasahatter said:

The o rings are rubber i assume? If so just buy a kit of different sizes. Can you not purchase this condenser from uk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Lexus-IS-MK2-250-Genuine-OE-Denso-A-C-Air-Con-Condenser/292236276881?hash=item440aa3b491:g:f00AAOSw6nNZqZla

Thanks MAAH. Any links to pack of o rings?

I'm not in any rush to get this done, so would rather save 50 to 70 quid and wait for it to arrive from the US. 

1 hour ago, iwonder said:

Did they tell you the fault? as in condenser is leaking or joint to condensor is leaking? You might be able to get away with just the seals if it is just the joint, which is pretty common. Valeo would probably be easier to get a hold of if you want to pickup from a local parts shop.

It's corroded! Thanks for the suggestion, do have personal experience with Valeo condensers and if so on what cars?

14 minutes ago, LennyLexus said:

It's corroded! Thanks for the suggestion, do have personal experience with Valeo condensers and if so on what cars?

No experience with their condensers but i have used their radiators. They are on par with denso for quality but easier to get, which means warranty is easier to handle if the worst case scenario happens

14 hours ago, LennyLexus said:

... but condenser if I am not mistaken is aluminum. How can it be corroded? Perished seals seems possible reason, second one would be damage to condenser, but corrosion is kind of unlikely...

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

... but condenser if I am not mistaken is aluminum. How can it be corroded? Perished seals seems possible reason, second one would be damage to condenser, but corrosion is kind of unlikely...

Damm.. it was a while ago it got it checked out (might have been damaged). Is it worth getting a second opinion around £40-50.

Damage from a low flying stone is the most typical reason for a condensor to fail, they're sitting down low in the front grill and as they are relatively delicate they are susceptible to taking a hit and leaking.  

Are they any dark patches that suggest a leak or two?  - check around seals and along the grill. As it's been recently regas'd then you should see damp patch(es) and with luck it was regas'd with a small amount of UV dye that will help you spot a leak (with a suitable lamp/goggles).  

If it's the original condensor since new, then it's done well to last this long and wouldn't surprise me if it's due for replacing.  Ensure you get a condensor with a new drier if you can, sometimes the drier's can be fitted remotely or integral to the grill.

Good luck getting it sorted and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1