Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus falling behind with infotainment system?

Hi I keep reading when people review the Lexus range for the past few years on YouTube, that no one seems to like the infotainment system with the mouse or the touch control.

Also they give it bad marks because the apple and Google Play services are not included in the infotainment system, only Lexus’s own suite of apps are there on screen.

At present I am in RX 400 H and in its day ( in 2007) it was quite ahead of the game technologically I think. With backup cameras et cetera.

Do you think Lexus has lost the plot a bit by not been on the cutting edge of technology?

Just wondered what your thoughts are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont think a lot of people do like the current Lexus infotainment systems and i find it the weakest point of the car. My ( 2015 IS300h Fsport) satnav is just dreadful, the menus labyrinthal and the entire architecture is very user unfriendly. The entire set up looks and feels heavily outdated and one or 2 generations old.

Time has moved on and the VAG group and MB have  upped the game with their digital dashboards and huge screens. Even in the bottom end of the market things have changed. I rented a tiny little runabout and apple carplay with touchscreen was built in, just pair your Iphone and everybody can operate it. very very impressive.

it is a shame that the big Toyota corporation does not invest in this more. 

• Like 1

Tbh I find it fine. It's pretty simple to use.

The main problem is that it's different and in an era where everyone is using rotary controllers, it takes some getting used to and some reading of the manual is required. Additionally, the menus are OK as well for me. Once you use the car you get used to where everything is very quickly. 

I find the system less complicated than Mercs command which I find awkward sometimes. 

For me, the satnav has been fine unless in city centres where it gives some odd commands but other than that I'm fairly pleased with it.

Lexus were the first to offer wireless phone charging in a car and a huge 12" screen so I wouldn't say they're behind as such. Remember that these things come standard whereas Audi will charge £££ for a digital screen behind the steering wheel

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ISJason said:

Hi I keep reading when people review the Lexus range for the past few years on YouTube, that no one seems to like the infotainment system with the mouse or the touch control.

Also they give it bad marks because the Apple and Google Play services are not included in the infotainment system, only Lexus’s own suite of apps are there on screen.

At present I am in RX 400 H and in its day ( in 2007) it was quite ahead of the game technologically I think. With backup cameras et cetera.

Do you think Lexus has lost the plot a bit by not been on the cutting edge of technology?

Just wondered what your thoughts are?

You are right and Lexus are falling behind.  I have just changed from a RX 450h to an S-Max because I now need 7 Seats.

The Ford Sync 3 in car system is both Android and apple Car play ready, and both works and integrated seamlessly.  The whole experience is great and very painless indeed.  Even if you don't use either, the base system is better in literally every way.

I have driven a brand new GS and it's system cannot even come close to the Ford's.  I will say the sound quality is better in the Lexus, but the usability is lagging to Ford.

14 hours ago, T Sport 1978 said:

You are right and Lexus are falling behind.  I have just changed from a RX 450h to an S-Max because I now need 7 Seats.

The Ford Sync 3 in car system is both Android and Apple Car play ready, and both works and integrated seamlessly.  The whole experience is great and very painless indeed.  Even if you don't use either, the base system is better in literally every way.

I have driven a brand new GS and it's system cannot even come close to the Ford's.  I will say the sound quality is better in the Lexus, but the usability is lagging to Ford.

Problems with Ford is that they are generally an appliance for getting around so I would expect some aspect to be really good as the cars themselves are extremely dull, bar the Mustang ofc.

The Lexus system does get everything done that it needs to do and especially on the new models is very quick and snappy.

I can pretty much operate it without looking at the screen now.

Having 'upgraded' from a 12 plate Merc ML350 to an 11 plate RX450h I would tend to agree with you. However there are a few things that I wish the Lexus has that the Merc had. For instance the merc sat nav is better than Lexus ( more intuitive, faster and easier to use ) and the cruise control only having a minimum speed set rather than a min and max speed limiter. However I am very pleased that Lexus have far better reliability and build quality than Mercedes! So on balance as a good friend of mine says 'you pays your money and takes you're choice!!'

Bri

Personally i think every infotainment system is hard to use at first .. I had a BMW X5 for a while and even after having it considerable time I still had to look down at the controller to see what to press, also I believe the Lexus has sensitivity adjustments on the joystick so you can set it to snap to the next icon on the screen with ease. Something which I think a lot of reviewers overlook.

Compared to BMW or Mercedes Lexus is far superior, so any minor niggles seem insignificant.

21 hours ago, rayaans said:

Problems with Ford is that they are generally an appliance for getting around so I would expect some aspect to be really good as the cars themselves are extremely dull, bar the Mustang ofc.

The Lexus system does get everything done that it needs to do and especially on the new models is very quick and snappy.

I can pretty much operate it without looking at the screen now.

Let's face it, everything that most of us can afford to buy and own are appliances to a need.

The ONLY Lexus that I can truly call "exciting" is the LFA, and that is just about as unobtainable as the new Ford GT.

Comparing my 2010 RX450h SE-i to my 2016 S Max Titanium Sport with all the possible extras in the brochure, the Ford is much more advanced and drives like a low slung car.  The build quality between the cars is similar, in terms of fit and quality of feel.  The Lexus has plusher seats and leather, but the Ford is just as comfortable in daily use.

If I need to compare a newer Lexus to the Ford then the 2016 GS that I owned for a day felt similar in build, I would say both equally nice inside.

As with most manufacturers, Ford CAN make a car that feels premium if you go high enough up the range and willing to pay for the options.

Back to the point of the post about infotainment systems in cars and ease of use, I'm saying from experience the Ford Sync 3 trumps both older and newer Lexus systems simply because it's both apple Car Play and Android Auto ready, I'm controlling a lot of functions with my voice not even having to press a single button.  The base system is also completely easy to use.

I guess it depends on what you want a car system to do. What I want the Lexus system does well enough.

Music, Podcasts connected automatically via Bluetooth. Emails & texts read out & displayed on the screen.  I still like to play a CD & a DVD player is nice to!!

I use the satnav regularly and it has always got me there without issue.   For sure the digital cockpit system in the Audi is superb but as most are company cars very few if any will opt for it.

I also don't like the Audi tablet stuck on the dash look & prefer the built in way Lexus do it.   I use a mouse & trackpad on my PC so find the Lexus joystick more intuitive than a wheel. 

No experience of a Ford apart from hire cars & never overly impressed. Not a car I would spend my own money on.

I had a look at a £30k Vignale & it was desperately trying to be premium but it was just a Mondeo with horrid looking  quilted seats.  The ICE system wasn't great and just the same as a standard Mondeo.

Premium is more than toys to me it is more to do with doors that thunk and Fords dont.  

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 6:01 PM, capese21 said:

I guess it depends on what you want a car system to do. What I want the Lexus system does well enough.

Music, Podcasts connected automatically via bluetooth. Emails & texts read out & displayed on the screen.  I still like to play a CD & a DVD player is nice to!!

I use the satnav regularly and it has always got me there without issue.   For sure the digital cockpit system in the Audi is superb but as most are company cars very few if any will opt for it.

I also don't like the Audi tablet stuck on the dash look & prefer the built in way Lexus do it.   I use a mouse & trackpad on my PC so find the Lexus joystick more intuitive than a wheel. 

No experience of a Ford apart from hire cars & never overly impressed. Not a car I would spend my own money on.

I had a look at a £30k Vignale & it was desperately trying to be premium but it was just a Mondeo with horrid looking  quilted seats.  The ICE system wasn't great and just the same as a standard Mondeo.

Premium is more than toys to me it is more to do with doors that thunk and Fords dont.  

I suppose with a whole price bracket above a normal Ford, you would expect your doors to thunk.  

At the end of the day, there is no arguing that you will always get what you pay for, but from personal experience there is a rather fine line between the higher end of a new Ford to a premium brand, which I have to say took me by surprise.  

On 20/11/2017 at 6:01 PM, capese21 said:

I agree entirely. Had a Ford once and after about three years old it looked worn. My old IS was 10 years old when I sold it and it still looked new inside except for slightly crinkly fronts seats. Not bad seeing as they been sat on for 100k miles! Hope the GS feels the same in seven years time.