Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H climate control questions

Hi all,

looking for advice on whether my climate control is working as it should. On my 450h 2010 with sat nav i select the auto on the climate control - on the display page i can see that the fan is automatically controlled when i move temp up/down however the "mode" is always set footwell and does not change - should it change automatically ? i can manually change the mode ( air vent selection), the auto light goes off and the vent location does change where the air come out from.

picture attached showing on auto  mode and footwell always set.

hope that makes sense and that someone can compare if theirs does the same or confirm if a setting needs changing or there is a fault - fingers crossed its a setting.

thanks up front

IMG_3042.JPG

Hot air rises so the best way of heating the cabin is to have the air come out at the lowest point and it warms things up as it rises. If your hands are cold or if the screen needs defrosting then you can manually point the air where you want it, but on auto, it'll always come out of the footwell. During summer the air will usually come out of the higher vents because cold air falls.

I thought mine had a fault too as I couldn't get it to do feet and dash on auto.  But on auto mine defaults to screen and feet rather than feet only.  Is this a setting issue?  I'd much rather it started off where I want it rather than where it wants it!

9 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Hot air rises so the best way of heating the cabin is to have the air come out at the lowest point and it warms things up as it rises. If your hands are cold or if the screen needs defrosting then you can manually point the air where you want it, but on auto, it'll always come out of the footwell. During summer the air will usually come out of the higher vents because cold air falls.

A very simple explanation but perfect sense. I'd never given it thought before, thank you John. Ed

• Like 1

Sorcerer - thank you for your logical explanation, thought i 'd put your theory to the test - put it in auto, to the footwells it went, decrease the temperature to 18  and it moved to footwell and face vents, went down further to 16.5 and it went to face vents only - took it right up to 28 and it moved to windscreen and footwell - bugger me, it and you are clever.

Bottom line is there is no fault - if i want them to come out of the face vents when i first get in, i will have to move to as warmer climate

Ian M - fluffy dice are a no go area - the wife's of course - got them from the Aerosmith Rock 'n' Roll ride in Disney about 14years ago - sorry not for sale !

Glover - i is jealous

still would be interested if the default can be changed.

• Like 2

On 19/11/2017 at 12:03 AM, Glover said:

I'd much rather it started off where I want it rather than where it wants it!

At the risk of sounding pedantic, wouldn't that defeat the object of it being 'auto'! ;-)

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, N18RKS said:

Hi all,

looking for advice on whether my climate control is working as it should. On my 450h 2010 with sat nav i select the auto on the climate control - on the display page i can see that the fan is automatically controlled when i move temp up/down however the "mode" is always set footwell and does not change - should it change automatically ? i can manually change the mode ( air vent selection), the auto light goes off and the vent location does change where the air come out from.

picture attached showing on auto  mode and footwell always set.

hope that makes sense and that someone can compare if theirs does the same or confirm if a setting needs changing or there is a fault - fingers crossed its a setting.

thanks up front

IMG_3042.JPG

You should also leave the left hand button on AUTO. The system will then automatically switch air recirculation on/off depending on ambient and outside temperature, dampness and air pollution. For instance, you will notice that recirculation will often switch on if you are stuck behind another car in a jam, or in a tunnel, or while the car is warming up.

At any rate, you should never leave air-recirculation permanently manually switched on.

8 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

At the risk of sounding pedantic, wouldn't that defeat the object of it being 'auto'! ;-)

I understand what you're saying but other cars I've had (admittedly German (sorry!)) have allowed any outlet setting on auto.  But having set off on a journey on Monday and monitoring what it was doing I must admit the system choosing the outlets is far better as in the winter it waits until the air is to temperature before bathing your upper body and face with warm air; in previous cars I've had a chilled blast on my face and feet until it got up to temperature.

Just another example of Lexus brilliance.  These cars never cease to amaze me!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glover said:

I understand what you're saying but other cars I've had (admittedly German (sorry!)) have allowed any outlet setting on auto.  But having set off on a journey on Monday and monitoring what it was doing I must admit the system choosing the outlets is far better as in the winter it waits until the air is to temperature before bathing your upper body and face with warm air; in previous cars I've had a chilled blast on my face and feet until it got up to temperature.

Just another example of Lexus brilliance.  These cars never cease to amaze me!

I agree Geoff. Of all the cars I've had with climate control the Lexus is the most effective I have come across.  I can set it to where I want it safely in the knowledge it'll keep me comfortable. I've also got my seat heating/ventilation set to auto which is great.  It got me thinking about other cars I've had in the past. Many years ago I had a Vanden Plas 1300 Princess which didn't have AC let alone climate control. However, what it did have was the ability to have warm air to my feet and cold to my face. That was brilliant. Haven't sen that in any modern car!

Aah, a Vanden Plas 1300 Princess, my very first car, bought it from an old lady for £25 in 1975, ran it for a year until my father pulled up beside me at the traffic lights (I was 15). I sold it for £40, the only car i have ever made money on in my life. Walnut Picnic tables in the back, very classy. Remember sweating when a transit full of cops gave me a push start outside the Botanic gardens. I was big for my years....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eame64 said:

Done some of my first driving in an Austin 1100, always fancied the vanden plas,but liked the 1300GT better or the quite rare MG model.

My first car was an Austin 1300 Estate in a lurid purple with wooden side stripes! The VP was my second.

3 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

Aah, a Vanden Plas 1300 Princess, my very first car, bought it from an old lady for £25 in 1975, ran it for a year until my father pulled up beside me at the traffic lights (I was 15). I sold it for £40, the only car i have ever made money on in my life. Walnut Picnic tables in the back, very classy. Remember sweating when a transit full of cops gave me a push start outside the Botanic gardens. I was big for my years....

I ended up having to sleep in in one night in the middle of nowhere when me and a friend decided to 'test' the walnut picnic tables out with a bottle of scotch! It had little chrome insets for the tumblers!

I had a Honda Accord 3 door hatchback in 1984 that could give cold to my face and warm or hot to my feet.  Great car, fast for it's time, comfortable and economical too!

Never drove or been in a 11/1300 but driven/been driven in it's small (mini) and big (1800 land crab) cousins.  Both brilliant for their day