Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 quick acceleration

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who claims an IS250 is a fast car has never had a fast car. Lovely cars for sure but not fast cars. This thread is all about an IS250 being a fast car which is a bit laughable to be honest which is why I posted. Bit tongue in cheek and certain to garner a reaction but when I read some of the stuff in this thread I felt duty bound to comment. And an NX300h is not a fast car either. Lovely car but not a fast car. All relative I guess and depends where you've come from and what you've driven in the past.

What's even more laughable is you popping up like a jack in the box on this section posting comments to deliberately wind people up.

Nothing better to do I guess.

• Like 2

I don't know why you can't just all agree that any Lexus is faster than walking!  I thought the LOC was for helping each other rather than making abrasive comments. 

• Like 2

This individual often makes posts on this section to make a point on how slow the IS250 is despite owning the slowest car (except the 200h) that Lexus have ever made.

If we visited the nx section and constantly made a point on how slow the nx300h is I'm sure feathers would be ruffled. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, peachy said:

This individual often makes posts on this section to make a point on how slow the IS250 is despite owning the slowest car (except the 200h) that Lexus have ever made.

If we visited the nx section and constantly made a point on how slow the nx300h is I'm sure feathers would be ruffled. 

It's the same with every model, there are always comments that get the hackles up, it's just not worth it.  All Lexus models are fine cars, we should just agree on that instead of the "my dads bigger than your dad" thing.  

1 hour ago, peachy said:

Yet some folk take great pleasure at slagging the IS200t...a car that should rip the 250 a new one.

Its swings and roundabouts. If you cant take it don't dish it out is probably the best way to look at things. 

The IS250 is far from fast, however its a gorgeous motor. I nearly bought new in 2010 and again in 2014  but by then everything else had blown it away so went to the dark side. I came back but its ISF/ RCF or bust if you want genuine performance from Lexus.

Can I also say that these sort of threads go back years. Some people appear to think that the IS200 / IS250 are performance cars....they aren't. Why do a minority of owners think they are simply because they have a 6 pot..

5 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Yet you and Linas take great pleasure at ripping into the IS200t...a car that could rip yours a new one.

Its swings and roundabouts. If you cant take it don't dish it out. :yes:

That is because it is objectively slow car for 2013 model with 240hp, IS250 never meant to be fast yet back in it's time ~2005 it could have been considered reasonably fast, whereas IS200t cannot be considered anything but "unreasonably slow"... all in all I consider IS250 a better car, because you can have one for fraction of the price of IS200t, it is not much slower (and even then only at 0-60, probably quicker to 0-30), makes much nicer noises etc.

What is my problem? That, I am angry for Lexus not providing me any option to upgrade, but I want to stay with the brand.... overtime that really annoys me... from IS220d the way is kind of obvious - replace dirty diesel with rather "nice" hybrid IS300h, but from IS250 there is no way... either "slow" IS200t or even slower IS300h...  IS300h should have been PHEV and should have had similar acceleration to BMW330e (6.1s) - that would really have made it outstanding car - no need for compromised IS200t, great fuel economy even greater economy - best of all worlds... sadly that never happened...

It is fact that IS250 can do 0-60 ~ 7.5s and it was proven many times by many sources, by no means that is fast, but again for it's time it was respectable acceleration. Respectable enough so that hot hatches of the time can hardly harass this car of the road... This is I guess is key for me - Luxury saloon should be at least faster than contemporary hot-hatches.. IS250 is... IS mk3 is not...

What we need is a guy who owns a 10 year old car with 170,000 miles on it to chip in and compare it directly with the latest Lexus Tech.

Any takers :biggrin:

ps I made that previous post more user friendly as its Christmas and all that :tongue:

I think that only makes your desperation to prove IS200t worthiness more painful - I mean you own latest Lexus tech. with low miles as probably 5 times more expensive... but it is hardly better than 10 years barge (or to be more precise 8)... pity 

edit:.... sorry.. it actually just turned 9... 28/11/2008, but miles are actually already at 174500.

On the flip side I can relate and completely agree:

The IS250 is far from fast, however its a gorgeous motor. I nearly bought new in 2010 and again in 2014  but by then everything else had blown it away so went to the dark side. I came back but its ISF/ RCF or bust if you want genuine performance from Lexus.

And that is exactly my problem... The Lexus started quite well with IS250 (as an replacement for IS200), IS250 was faster, more refined car. However since release of IS-F they clearly abandoned "normal" cars... IS250 was allowed to slip down and you are completely right, by 2010-2014 they were far behind. The logical solution seems to be release next model to make the car appealing again. They did that very well with GS450h back in 2004, what they needed in 2013 was PHEV IS300h which would be much faster than IS250, yet more fuel efficient - that is what is called "progress".. What they did? they regressed obviously... IS mk3 is worse car than mk2 both considering the age and in many areas literally. And now as well spotted by you "its ISF/ RCF or bust"...

Different people different opinions. For me lexus does not stand for high speed or brute accelleration. Not for engine noise but lack of. Not for competing with other road users but ignoring them in silence.

lexus is not for everybody but for people in the know. You have to see it to recognize it. Overengineering, conservative buildquality, polarising styling and above all driving something special. A feeling a lifestyle.

For me it does not matter what type of lexus people drive from 20 year old ls400 to brandnew lc we all have something in common and i find all cars just as interesting. 

• Like 5

That is very nice comment, but I do not share sentiment when it comes to 300h and 200h options - for me they are hollow and have no soul.... Sort of fleet cars which can be explained in excel spreadsheet and company financial summary, but has nothing when it comes to driving pleasure. Fine for diesel replacement, but not driver cars by far.

Whereas Lexus does not stand for speed or acceleration there are lines behind which luxury car cannot fall i.e. being overtaken by rattle can with racing stripes. If you push IS300h there is quite a lot of engine noise and it is not exactly nice either... so your latter points maybe true for LS400,430,460, SC430, GS430, GS450h... but not IS300h...

The thing is Linas. No one ever pretended the IS200t would be quicker than a sub 7 second 0-60 4 cylinder motor which is massively quicker than anythng you will eek from your barge. Strangely enough before part exing my N55 I did a few test drives and decided that actually the IS200t was just as handy in 95% of cases as the N55 engine it was replacing and significantly quicker than a 250. I also decided in the reliability and looks stakes I would pick it over the BMW and Audi equivalent which quite frankly bore the arse off me.   

Lexus isn't all about ragging it with kids in ST's and 0-60 figures....you have your car because you like the engine...I like the engine, we all like the engine. Quick is isn't so dont even go there and exaggerate your figures. 

How can anybody say the 250 is a slow car? Several independent tests have proven this vehicle can hit 60 in as low as 7.1 seconds. Not bad for a car that was never designed to be a performance car.

Sorry @doog442 but your modern twin scroll turbo charged Lexus is only slightly quicker than the 250. Only slightly better on fuel and quite frankly the engine sounds naff.

Why have Lexus pulled the plug on the IS200T? because it's far to slow. People looking to buy a 4 pot turbo have performance in mind and the Lexus turbo simply does not deliver. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, doog442 said:

The thing is Linas. No one ever pretended the IS200t would be quicker than a sub 7 second 0-60 4 cylinder motor which is massively quicker than anythng you will eek from your barge. Strangely enough before part exing my N55 I did a few test drives and decided that actually the IS200t was just as handy in 95% of cases as the N55 engine it was replacing and significantly quicker than a 250. I also decided in the reliability and looks stakes I would pick it over the BMW and Audi equivalent which quite frankly bore the arse off me.   

Lexus isn't all about ragging it with kids in ST's and 0-60 figures....you have your car because you like the engine...I like the engine, we all like the engine. Quick is isn't so dont even go there and exaggerate your figures. 

Have a day off @doog442 its' like groundhog day with you.

Yes I understand you have spent around 20 grand on your high performance Lexus turbo but in reality it just pips the barge to the post.

• Like 1

lexus mainly stopped selling the T engines in markets that fiscally support hybrids and in some markets Lexus now even offers a 100% hybrid only range. In the biggest markets like the states the NX/IS/RC 200T are big sellers and they even get a good press..   

4 minutes ago, peachy said:

Yes I understand you have spent around 20 grand on your high performance Lexus turbo but in reality it just pips the barge to the post.

And no annoying turbo lag with the barge either @peachy and drone like sounding engine. The 250 has a delightful sounding V6 engine that sings.

• Like 2

People looking to buy a 4 pot turbo have performance in mind and the Lexus turbo simply does not deliver. 

Jag F Type 2ltr turbo 300ps - would appeal to similar people as RC200t I guess. A 300PS 2ltr rc is a missed opportunity maybe.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, peachy said:

enjoy hunting kids in ST200'S peachy

btw I look forward to your exhaust 'issue' :yes:

43 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Sorry @doog442 but your modern twin scroll turbo charged Lexus is only slightly quicker than the 250. Only slightly better on fuel and quite frankly the engine sounds naff.

Why have Lexus pulled the plug on the IS200T? because it's far to slow. People looking to buy a 4 pot turbo have performance in mind and the Lexus turbo simply does not deliver. 

You may want to do some homework before seeing why the IS200t was pulled.

The turbo is completely incidental ...no one cares. People simply wanted to move on from the pretty crap performance and MPG figures of your barge.:wink3:

2 minutes ago, doog442 said:

You may want to do some homework before seeing why the IS200t was pulled.

Touched a nerve have we 😁

Like you said, if you can't take it don't give it. 😉

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Why was it pulled? I did consider one.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

dutchie mentions it above I believe. Ryaans first reported it. Still selling well in the US and elsewhere....collectors item i reckon :wink3: 

58 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Bizarre thread.

Quite.

Battle lines have been drawn it seems.

I have to agree with @dutchie01 on this one.  To me, acceleration and top speed are secondary to the quiet, refined and comfortable experience doing a journey in my IS affords me.  If you can have both then great, but if performance is a priority then the German brands would serve you much better.

Do I think the IS250 is a quick car?  No.  Do I like the engine in the IS200t?  No.  Would I happily cruise around in either?  Yep.

• Like 1