Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 quick acceleration

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Same goes for IS200t/RC200t - cars with 241hp, but just slightly faster than IS250... something is not right. 

Under 7 seconds for the IS200t is substantially faster than the IS250..not slightly if we were to go by official figures.

That said if you want 'fast acceleration'  you would probably look elsewhere. Been there seen it done and It gets boring after a while mind. Like the ST driver mentioned in this thread you always feel as if you have something to prove. 

21 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Under 7 seconds for the IS200t is substantially faster than the IS250..not slightly. There is little comparison between the two.

This has been discussed before. We can keep going round and round here but the IS220T is slightly quicker than the IS250 and slow for a modern 2 litre twin scroll turbo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peachy said:

This has been discussed before. We can keep going round and round here but the IS220T is slightly quicker than the IS250 and slow for a modern 2 litre twin scroll turbo.

I don't disagree with that. However pop over to a BMW forum and see how many times their turbo charged engines have issues. I think we all know that Lexus run their cars far within potential capabilities for a reason. 

How do you define slightly ?  

12 hours ago, iwonder said:

Wrong and I never claimed RXs were fast, although quicker than the 250. It's just my opinion that a N/A V6 with performance figures like the 250 is slow. I rarely do 0-60 sprints but I do push hard when in gear and I find them under powered in that respect. Agreed it's not really its purpose but this thread was about racing a hatchback. I would of thought having an ISF, everything would feel slow to you :laugh:

Plenty of hot hatches that will eat an IS-F. The IS-F is 10 year old technology now. 1 series Beamers, Golf R's and even fast beamer diesels will nibble the bumper of an IS-F

interesting topic, i drove a 250 for 4 years, then a BMW 320i for 2 and now in 3rd year with my IS300H. 

if i compare the accelleration between the 250 and the 300H it is safe to say the 250 will be faster to 60mph BUT the 300Hybrid definately feels faster to 50Mph!

it are 2 different cars really, old school 6 pot and modern hybrid connected to 2.5 4 pot atkinson. The 250 engine was truly wonderful but below 4000rpm a bit weak. When accellerating under full throttle it sings through the gears with a wonderful sound and changes up and up until 60mph, It is fun although i found the car better suited for driving at 70% and no more.

The Hybrid gives a totally different sensation as first of all it does not change gears as it is an CVT. So the experience is different. When in Sport floor the throttle and the accelleration is instant, it does not build up as the E-motor gives full power from the start. Then the engine kicks in and revs climb. I have no idea about the 0 to 50 time but it feels considerably faster than the 250 with a wide margin. After 50 it quickly runs out of steam however as the power from the e-motor disappears and the engine takes over. 

It could be my perception as i have no hard facts but after some getting used to i would now never change my IS for a 250. Time has moved on.

And the BMW? strange but i can hardly recall that car, found it just a bag of bolts, very crude and agricultural

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Plenty of hot hatches that will eat an IS-F. The IS-F is 10 year old technology now. 1 series Beamers, Golf R's and even fast beamer diesels will nibble the bumper of an IS-F

True, all of these smaller engined turbo cars are pushing silly numbers these days, although I much prefer a V8 growl any day of the week. Lexus would be way more reliable too, which is always a bonus.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I don't disagree with that. However pop over to a BMW forum and see how many times their turbo charged engines have issues. I think we all know that Lexus run their cars far within potential capabilities for a reason. 

How do you define slightly ?  

I only had the IS220T for 1 day but I gave it a good run and put it through it's paces.

The worse thing about the car was the lag from a standing start. It's very noticeable. The IS250 has a fast launch and would be ahead of the turbo up to about 40mph. Once on boost though the IS220T would make fast gains on the 250 and pip it to the post at 60. The turbo would continue to make gains on the 250 but not by a great margin. Slightly quicker in my opinion, not significantly quicker.

Where the turbo shines is mid range. Boot it to overtake and it shifts. The 250 is a a fair bit slower to react and dosnt pull you back in your seat like the turbo does.

Don' get me wrong, it' a great car to drive and fun too.

13 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

Timed my 3rd Gen 250 today - 8.1 seconds to 60.

Apparently the gen 3 is a tad slower on the sprint. Something to do with the longer wheelbase I believe. 

How did you time it? is there an app I can use as I want to test my wife's. 

1 hour ago, peachy said:

Apparently the gen 3 is a tad slower on the sprint. Something to do with the longer wheelbase I believe. 

How did you time it? is there an app I can use as I want to test my wife's. 

.... it is simply heavier.

@dutchie01 - cannot agree with that... IS300h is not that much slow as much it feels slow... it sounds and feels much slower than IS250. I wonder maybe you have ASC ON in which case it can give some false sensation of speed, even at 30MPH is sounds like you maybe already doing 60... Some people really like it, but it drives me mad I notice the fakery coming out of the speakers and literally go mad, therefore I have to switch it OFF. When off, car sounds just awful when you push it ... just jumble of different and unpleasant sounds.

@doog442 - reliability is not the point of owning turbo car... It must be fast and if it is not then there is no point. IS200t is slow and if you want slow car why not have IS300h then? Anyway that is my logic. Lexus tried to hit in the middle somewhere, make it turbo and make it somewhat economical, what they ended-up with is the car which is neither.. it is slow and uneconomical for it's time and to be honest this is the only possible outcome there was - when you starting to make compromises that is what you get. Now obviously it is both slightly faster and slightly more economical than IS250, but IS250 is incomparable... it is nearly 12 years old now and it is pointless to compare 2 cars 8 years (or more) apart. 

14 hours ago, Ben1001 said:

I used the clock app on my iPhone it has a stopwatch tab.

ohh ... that must be accurate... did you as well measured it by speedometer which is at least 10% over the real speed?

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

ohh ... that must be accurate... did you as well measured it by speedometer which is at least 10% over the real speed?

I used reached 64mph on the clock which is where my GPS says 60mph.

Sorry for being little bit rude. Most of reviews quotes times from "racelogic" or similar devices. Now just to be clear even devices like race-logic are not 100% accurate, GPS itself is accurate +/- 5m. As I mentioned I have used OBD2 + GPS to get my numbers and this is the most accurate way to get 0-60 times, yet it is still not 100% accurate. My point is that it is impossible to accurately measure 0-60 with stopwatch on the phone. Secondly, mk3 is slower than mk2 because it is heavier so it is really a different discussion altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Awesome. Another IS250 rocketship thread

It' a rocketship compared to your painfully slow NX300H old bean 😉

• Like 1

Everything is relative and so is speed. Hot hatches from today have the speed of supercars of 10 years ago. 30k now buys you a new SUV that takes some 5 seconds to reach 60. 2 liter 4 cylinder engines now can be had with more than 400 hp, all standard. Time has moved on. The debate if an IS250 / IS300H / NX or RX reaches 60 in 7.5 or 8.5  seconds seems irrelevant to me, neither of them are fast cars in todays standards, as long as you enjoy them it should be just fine?   

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Everything is relative and so is speed. Hot hatches from today have the speed of supercars of 10 years ago. 30k now buys you a new SUV that takes some 5 seconds to reach 60. 2 liter 4 cylinder engines now can be had with more than 400 hp, all standard. Time has moved on. The debate if an IS250 / IS300H / NX or RX reaches 60 in 7.5 or 8.5  seconds seems irrelevant to me, neither of them are fast cars in todays standards, as long as you enjoy them it should be just fine?   

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who claims an IS250 is a fast car has never had a fast car. Lovely cars for sure but not fast cars. This thread is all about an IS250 being a fast car which is a bit laughable to be honest which is why I posted. Bit tongue in cheek and certain to garner a reaction but when I read some of the stuff in this thread I felt duty bound to comment. And an NX300h is not a fast car either. Lovely car but not a fast car. All relative I guess and depends where you've come from and what you've driven in the past.

15 hours ago, peachy said:

It' a rocketship compared to your painfully slow NX300H old bean 😉

Your reply sums it all up doesn't it. Well done, you drive a faster car than me. Looks like it's important to you. Just as it was important to you to show that lad in the Fiesta ST no doubt.

From IMDB:

The Lexus IS250 V6 2.5 will feature in the upcoming Fast and Furious movie - subtitled "Furious Pensioners".

After discovering Brian O'Conner was working on restoring an IS250 Dom Toretto flys to Essex to take on Kane Mitchel in his Fiesta ST around the streets of Basildon in some of the most exciting traffic light races seen on the big screen. Will Kane regret those searing YouTube comments about Grandads in IS250s or will Dom beat him to the post office ? Also featuring some random fit birds pretending to be impressed by cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links