Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 quick acceleration

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Quite.

Battle lines have been drawn it seems.

I have to agree with @dutchie01 on this one.  To me, acceleration and top speed are secondary to the quiet, refined and comfortable experience doing a journey in my IS affords me.  If you can have both then great, but if performance is a priority then the German brands would serve you much better.

Do I think the IS250 is a quick car?  No.  Do I like the engine in the IS200t?  No.  Would I happily cruise around in either?  Yep!

Well said!

Not sure why this obsession with 0-60, the IS200/250 is just dated, feels dated, looks dated, even smells dated!! There is a reason why you can get one for less than most DFS sofa’s.😀

I don't understand why someone posts about how fast an IS250 is and when someone begs to differ, they get flamed and abused. It's just opinions. If this is the way some people react when they read something they disagree with then they have some growing up still to do. I just don't understand the IS250 is a fast car argument. I've said on many occasions they are lovely cars. I've had two - a 2nd generation 2006 SE-L and a 3rd generation F-Sport. They are nice cars, lovely cars with smooth peachy engines that sound great. Great cars to own too. I never ever felt they were fast cars though. Maybe that's because I've owned and driven many faster cars and have something to relate them to. Maybe also because I don't race other people on the road and also perhaps because I don't think that everyone else is always trying to race me so that when I beat them then my car must be faster. Sorry to keep bursting your bubble peeps. I respect your right to post that you think it is a fast car. Just as I hope you would respect my right to disagree. Pop over to PH and tell them how fast your IS250 is, you'll get some good responses over there.

The best response to one of my posts above was from someone who said that his IS250 was much faster than my NX300h and yet never had any time had I even remotely suggested that it was or even posted anything to even suggest this. Awesome just awesome.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rebecca said:

What's even more laughable is you popping up like a jack in the box on this section posting comments to deliberately wind people up.

Nothing better to do I guess.

So the only people who can reply to a thread like this are the people who agree that the IS250 is a fast car then? I post that I don't believe it's a fast car and you post that I'm a jack in the box and I'm deliberately winding people up. Thank you. A lot of people on here need to lighten up a bit and debate and challenge and accept that not everyone will agree with their posts. Sometimes posts will be a little bit tongue in cheek too, especially when someone posts that their IS250 is faster than a current model Fiesta ST because they've just raced one on public roads and knew they were really trying. This made me laugh. Very much in fact.

• Like 2

Come on peeps.  We all have a right to our opinions without people being nasty to each other. Before you post something ask yourself one question would I say this to them face to face?

Let's all get into the Christmas spirit, not while driving of course, and have a little good will to all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I've been around a while. This is all very familiar.

But rarely on here. The IS250 forum used to quite a genteel place. Indeed back in the day when people were spending 20 grand on a 6 pot these cars weren't getting ragged from here to kingdom come. Instead people were losing their rag over a dashboard rattle.They never bought the car in expectation of a red light dust up. Obviously things change with time / price / age and the car being available to a wider market. 

I can understand the defence mechanism but its worth pointing out that people aren't deliberately rocking up on this forum to provoke a response and some of the replies to some less serious posts have been out of order.. If like me you simply look at 'latest posts' and respond then your post may well (as In my case) end up in the deeper darker recesses of the site.

That said I'm still intrigued as to how Lexus 'understate performance figures'  as posted by  @Rebecca and why I've only ever seen this on the IS250 forum. Does this not apply to other models ?

• Like 1

Thanks for returning this to what I think was the the original purpose of the thread. Yes in my opinion and experience, Lexus do sometimes slightly understate the acceleration figures. No doubt it's an average quote. Track timed SC430 owners in the US seem to get under the official numbers but driver ability, weight, fuel, tyres, environment, road surface, etc all play a part. 

A slightly awkward and at times amusing thread but it's good to read the passion for setting things straight. Those with a need to talk about speed or rapid acceleration might look to an older 6 cyl IS. :yes:

Has 'Lexus' traditionally stood for comfort and reliability over speed....yes maybe.... but take a look at the Soarer and the Aristo, speed had a high priority in those models. Do they count or are they 'greyed out' I'm not sure?

10 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Not sure why this obsession with 0-60, the IS200/250 is just dated, feels dated, looks dated, even smells dated!! There is a reason why you can get one for less than most DFS sofa’s.😀

This one made me chuckle, good point that the IS250 represents very good value. No matter what the car, every tenth of a second counts, if you don't understand the daft obsession some of us have with 0-60 times, I recommend the newly formed super-fast F forum where speed is secondary and most of the topics are ferocious arguments about paint colour, coffee, cake and exhaust note. Just skip over any rogue topic with 'Nurburgring' or 'supercharger in the title.' 

With my petrol-head on, in the matter of comparing it to other chariots, I think we may have lost the plot. I can accept that an IS250 might live with a Fiesta ST but comparing it to a DFS sofa is simply wrong and unfair. The 3 seat electric driver-less models are so quick off the line, in ludicrous mode they can pull wheelies.

41311293-mudarse-a-una-nueva-residencia-o-muebles-transporte-concepto-sofa-moderno-en-las-ruedas-con-las-almo.jpg.0ebaec9dd53123005900c6da91a11ae4.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

I'm still intrigued as to how Lexus 'understate performance figures'  as posted by  @Rebecca and why I've only ever seen this on the IS250 forum. Does this not apply to other models ?

If you would bother to read what I have said in my long-ish first post on this thread.... I have explained in detail why that is and to answer your question - Yes Lexus understates acceleration of each and every model they have (except LFA) and if you might ask - yes that includes IS200t too...

Why.. that is because brand doesn't stand for performance (except of F Marque), getting higher official 0-60 would at the same time reduce official MPG and increase official CO2 ratings. So in the way Lexus cheating a bit - they do not push their cars to the limits losing ~0.5s 0-60 which is not important for the brand and gaining few MPG and making less pollution... which is more important. 

On some other point raise - "why back in the day nobody complained that IS250 v6 was slow?".. that is because for the day it wasn't - it definitely is now... but the expectations you have buying 10 years old £4000 car are quite different, then buying new or 2 years old £20000 car. So that is expectations issue more than anything else.. same can be said about something like RC300h - you expect it to be fast just by looking at it, but when you get to drive it you quickly get disappointed.. not because it is bead car, but because you expected more. 

11 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Well it looks like all 250 owners should rush out and purchase the same model that you drive then @Casa1862

12 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

I guess that is why I am keep banging about how bad IS mk3 is.... I tend to agree that mk2 is getting old, I mean it is 12 years old design - what would you expect? The problem is that Lexus offers no replacement for it. IS250 mk2... especially earlier SE-L's are amazing value for money and if it really costs less than a sofa... then it is just proves the point even more. Contrary, I feel mk3 represent fairly bad value for money... yes it feels newer, but that newer at the same times feels worse, just proves the point that the newer is not necessary the better.

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

If you would bother to read what I have said in my long-ish first post on this thread.... I have explained in detail why that is and to answer your question - Yes Lexus understates acceleration of each and every model they have (except LFA) and if you might ask - yes that includes IS200t too...

Why.. that is because brand doesn't stand for performance (except of F Marque), getting higher official 0-60 would at the same time reduce official MPG and increase official CO2 ratings. So in the way Lexus cheating a bit - they do not push their cars to the limits losing ~0.5s 0-60 which is not important for the brand and gaining few MPG and making less pollution... which is more important. 

On some other point raise - "why back in the day nobody complained that IS250 v6 was slow?".. that is because for the day it wasn't - it definitely is now... but the expectations you have buying 10 years old £4000 car are quite different, then buying new or 2 years old £20000 car. So that is expectations issue more than anything else.. same can be said about something like RC300h - you expect it to be fast just by looking at it, but when you get to drive it you quickly get disappointed.. not because it is bead car, but because you expected more. 

I disagree Linas . People were still buying  IS250's at 20K when the Germans were ripping them up for toilet paper. The IS200 could never compete with the 3 series in the 90's yet half a million were sold and back then people knew damned well how slow they were. 

You simply fail to understand why people spend serious money on a Lexus. It just isn't all about 0-60.

If Lexus thought it was important for their market they would do something about it - they haven't. If someone wants performance they go elsewhere, always have done - when did this ever change ?

It sounds to me like you're in the wrong car. 

• Like 1

Get the ISF Linas...go on son :wink3:

It would absolutely change the dynamic of this place...and your constant moaning about performance :biggrin:

Fair play for sticking with the Marque when you could go N54 (that could keep up with F - for half the price)..my next will hopefully be the RCF once it drops to mid 20's and then we can be F buddies..:wub:

• Like 1

I drove an is 250 for 4 years and 140k kms.and still think it was the best car i ever owned ( in a looong series of vehicles). after this i had a short escape to a fully loaded BMW 320 touring and i thought it was raw, agricultural, no way near Lexus standards. So back to an IS300H and after some getting used to ( cvt, hybrid) i am now hooked to hybrid driving to an extend that i would prefer fully electric( if the range was ok for me). I think of myself as a Lexus guy full stop. My IS is just as fast as the German competition and propably faster in traffic light stints if that is your game.

I like the styling, the drivetrain, the performance and  if i compare the 250 to the 300H well... lets say time has moved on. The 300H is better  in the overall package, more room, better performance in daily driving ( faster than the 250 to 50mph if that matters) , fuel consumption,  comfort, seats,  damping, chassis, and last but not least Looks. 

In my opinion the 2 cars cannot be compared as totally different but still Lexus. The 250 was a great car of the last decade and the current IS is fully on par with the german competition.

the IS300h is a great successor to the wonderful 250 taking the brand to the next decade and whowever disputes that is maybe better off driving another make.    

• Like 1

I think the issue is that the Germans do such a vast array of engines to satisfy all needs. Fair play to them but as you state they simply aren't up to Lexus quality or reliability.

However if you want a scolded cat of a car ..its there..just go and buy one.

When Lexus move on you know a hell of a lot of testing has happened and it isn't a fag packet job -its in all areas.

31 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I think the issue is that the Germans do such a vast array of engines to satisfy all needs. Fair play to them but as you state they simply aren't up to Lexus quality or reliability.

However if you want a scolded cat of a car ..its there..just go and buy one.

When Lexus move on you know a hell of a lot of testing has happened and it isn't a fag packet job -its in all areas.

I take it there's no interesting conversation happing on the 200t section then or is because nobody else owns/wants one? 😅

• Like 2

My 320i had 4 recalls in 16 months. this was technical only. so not about the dashboard that had all sorts of creaks, cracks or other sounds especially in winter when when the car warmed up, also not about the metal sound underneath. With my IS250 nothing went wrong in 4 years not even a lightbulb. I would love to have a spin in a 200T as the overall opinion was very positive, especially as it has the 8 speed instead of the CVT and its engine is seen as one of the most composed and civilised 4 pot turbos in the industry.  It wont happen as it is gone due to  lack of sales due to fiscal stimulation towards hybrids. 

Yes the germans have a vast array of engines but that is only possible if you pump out the neccessary volumes. The Lexus sales are just a tiny drop in the ocean to be frank, maybe we have to be glad that Lexus is still here.. 

I had BMW 328xi, MB350 4-matic and Passat CC after my first IS250 F-sport, the reason I am back with Lexus is that Lexus materials and build quality is almost next level, overall package is much more comprehensive - no wonder that some less knowledgeable people compared IS mk2 with BMW 5 series E60 back in the day. It went from entry model in mk1, to something above it's mark with mk2 (I guess they made it loss leader to get where they wanted in US) - so much so that it was almost challenging BMW5 back in the day, the model whole class above. It is probably me being naive and hoping that Lexus is going to continue that with mk3 i.e. underselling the packed car, so I must admit my expectation for mk3 is slightly unreasonable. I guess where my problem starts is not that it is worse than 5-Series or E-Class, but that nowadays it is clearly behind 3-Series and C-Class... I am not talking about speed, but overall package - mk2 was simply much better equipped for it's time. We would really need whole new thread to compare how mk3 went downhill after mk2 and how BMW offers better package in both standard package and available options.

As for IS-F... it just makes no sense for me, first of all I would need to get rid of current IS250 for nothing. With it's current mileage my one is probably worth like £2500, whereas I know the car is in perfect shape because I had maintained it well. Secondly, I commute in the car so IS-F makes no sense what so ever and finally, I cannot keep 2 cars. In ideal word I would have like RC-F and RX450h.. or even NX300h, but neither I really need 2 cars, nor I have where to keep them. Btw parking 2x4m patch next to my apartment cost £20k... So I would need to spend IS-F or IS200t money just to have the space to park second car.

In this situation the only thing which makes sense for me is GS450h, but I don't like the looks.. so it is kind of strange situation - Lexus does make the right bodies and they make the right engines, but not the right engines in the right cars.... Ideally I woudl have RC450h which would be equally fast enough on my scale and economical enough as daily, and would be single car package as I need.

And finally it is not true that Lexus like Germans don't offer long list of engine options ... after launch mk3 IS was available as IS200t, IS250, IS300, IS300h and IS350... so it is only UK problem. The last car which I could swallow as daily would be RC350 - but it is not offered in UK..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I take it there's no interesting conversation happing on the 200t section then or is because nobody else owns/wants one? 😅

I had no idea I was on an invite only section of the forum :wink3:

I simply respond to latest posts with no idea where it takes me. My understanding is that your motor will soon be featuring on Pistonheads shed of the Week....it comes to most of us, so not such a bad thing. :biggrin:  When it happened to the IS200 it was time to get rid, like yours that was also very slow lol

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

And finally it is not true that Lexus like Germans don't offer long list of engine options ... after launch mk3 IS was available as IS200t, IS250, IS300, IS300h and IS350... so it is only UK problem. The last car which I could swallow as daily would be RC350 - but it is not offered in UK..

Incorrect...Lexus offer nothing like the list of engine options that BMW do as explained by a fellow poster above. Our choice is extremely limited.A large majority of Lexus owners left  the fold when the IS250 came out. It simply wasn't a suitable enough upgrade on the IS200/300 ..so they went elsewhere.

There are far more IS200's on the road than IS250's.. make of that what you will despite the latter being the formers successor. The motoring world was changing yet Lexus lost the plot. 

Are you just arguing for the sake of argument?

What I said is that Lexus does cover whole range, just not in UK - the list in US is sufficient in my opinion. Yes Lexus does not offer diesels, but with current trend that is not an issue - 300h more than covers the needs of average diesel driver. Obviously, hybrid is not as good on motorways especially in EU where in most countries permitted speed is 90MPH+, but it more then covers UK with outdated 70MPH limit... What 300h loses on motorway it more then covers in the city... so whole German diesel range is covered by one car... if it would be PHEV obviously additional tax benefits etc. would be even more attractive. Now in US Lexus still have Turbo/200t which is ok for entry model kind of equivalent to BMW 318 and 320, I don't even understand what is the purpose of this minute distinction in BMW range, then they had IS250 which again pretty much covered BMW 325, 328 including "xi" as Lexus offers "awd", then there is rather bland IS300, which sits in between BMW328 and 330 and finally IS350 which is covering between BMW330 and 340. For me that is pretty much whole range covered anything I am missing?

I cannot agree with second part either. IS200 and 300 were nice cars, but rather outdated in the design (engines pretty much from 80's). The cars were directly replaced by IS250 and IS350, which both were brilliant updates in any measurable way. For example IS250 was both more economical and much more powerful than IS200, much better equipped standard e.g. 13 speaker sound system, keyless entry and V6 engines were much more suited for luxury car. SE-L model was far beyond in any way then previous offering. Now I understand that maybe somebody with IS300 in UK found themselves locked similarly as I am now, but that is because Lexus replaced it with IS350, which they for some reason haven't introduced here. Even comparing IS300 vs IS250 the difference is no huge, I understand that IS300 is much lighter and being more powerful and easily modifiable it was potentially faster, though stock figures stands as 8.2s vs 8.1s (IS200 was 11.2s). Again times 0-60 doesn't mean much, but mk2 was a significant upgrade over mk1. Now you might say ... but what about IS220d, was it not meant to replace IS200... not it was desperate move only in EU to chip into German pie, which was not very successful and it was not replacement for IS200 either, because it was priced below sort of CT of the day. IS220d aside mk2 had completely new modern engine designed almost specifically for these cars, the equipment was much more comprehensive and what is important - almost all of it was included as standard. I am almost certain that was a move to introduce loss leader in US for the entry luxury market to push MB and BMW out (similarly as they did with LS back in 90's pushing S-Class out). They actually succeeded as well, because now Lexus is second by sales in entry luxury segment ahead of BMW in US, mk3 for them is time to relax a bit and recoup the lack of profit for mk2.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I had no idea I was on an invite only section of the forum :wink3:

I simply respond to latest posts with no idea where it takes me. My understanding is that your motor will soon be featuring on Pistonheads shed of the Week....it comes to most of us, so not such a bad thing. :biggrin:  When it happened to the IS200 it was time to get rid, like yours that was also very slow lol

I think it is much more likely that IS-F will feature in future classics magazine rather than "shed of the week", though it is even worse for IS200t as it won't future in either - you see to at least feature in "shed of the week" car must be good value for money, which IS200t isn't and never going to be.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links