Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote access not working

Strange one - I came out to start the car on Sunday morning and there was no response from the keyless entry system or the control buttons on the key fob.  I manually opened the door with the key held in the fob and of course the alarm started blaring out!!  

I quickly disconnected the Battery and called Lexus Assist, they sent out a guy and we got the car started (the ignition runs on a different system to the entry) and I drove it to Lexus Twickenham and left it there for them to look at.

I got a call yesterday that it had been fixed and that the problem had been a loose connection in my key fob.  Got home and not working again.... called Lexus they came and picked the car up and I said I wanted a proper system diagnostics run etc.

Has anyone else had this issue on an IS or ISF?

Hi, sorry to hear you’re having issues.

Stupid question, when did you last replace the fob Battery? Had similar issues when mine needed replacing......

Also, when was your main Battery last replaced? Sure I read somewhere this can also cause issues with starting/locking etc....??

Hope you get it figured out soon! :thumbup1:

Cheers.

Pete

Just now, Peter P18 said:

Hi, sorry to hear you’re having issues.

Stupid question, when did you last replace the fob battery? Had similar issues when mine needed replacing......

Also, when was your main battery last replaced? Sure I read somewhere this can also cause issues with starting/locking etc....??

Hope you get it figured out soon! :thumbup1:

Cheers.

Pete

Agreed, though any half decent engineer would try the simple stuff first, I'd hope that if they have had the fob apart anyway to diagnose a problem then you would look at Battery 1st.  Engine Battery is a good shout.

Also, if I manage to fix something and don't know how I did it then a loose connection is always a good excuse! Ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Thanks for the responses.  Apparently they did change the fob batteries (main key and spare).

The car battery itself seems fine, no start/power issues.

Hmm, seems unlikely, but what about re-coding the fobs to your car? Just a thought....

Don’t see why they shouldn’t be coded correctly, but it’s another thing to tick off the possibility list??

When you think not screwing the petrol cap back on properly can cause a CEL, it could be anything...... :wallbash:

Hopefully a proper diagnostic check will reveal some codes to help narrow it down. :yes:

Quick update on this - the car has been to Lexus again, they are now saying it is a local issue to do with radio interference where I live and testing it today all is fine.  Got it home tonight and it seems to be working...  In a way would have been nice if something has been 'fixed' just hoping whatever the problem was doesn't come back, but apparently the keyless system is very prone to failure due to wireless interference from other devices and networks etc :(

Thanks again for all the input.

My old IS F did this to me a couple of times. Once after leaving it for a week and once when trying to lock the car after driving it. On both occasions I changed the fob Battery to no effect and then about 5 minutes later it started working again. I can only put it down to either failing batteries and the fob taking time to sort itself out after getting a new Battery , or some kind of interference. I did see a report somewhere on the internet of IS owners having this issue and the cause being a complete mystery. Good idea to keep a spare Battery in your wallet.

As stevet said , if the battery's dead just hold the fob against the starter button and press the button to start the car.

Just a thought do you have a remote control garage door or conservatory fan or something similar. I found my key doesn't work if I keep the remote pressed for my garage door. My garage door doesn' work if the fan fob is continually pressed either.