Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low mileage Mark 4 - £8950

Well, we can't have it both ways. We all know the quality of the car. 'Worth'? Of course it's 'worth' in what you get.

It's only the UK and its -now set in stone? - serious depreciation culture. In europe, cars hold their value more.

I've been saying for ages that LSs are serious bargains. Even at £8K.

(Despite immaculate being mis-spelled in the ad! Here's me in my pedant alter ego?)

DSC01170.JPG

• Haha 1

All the more reason to keep the ones you have and look after them. The problem in the UK is we don't tend to like spending money on our cars because it's more than the cars worth. I've been looking high and low for a car to replace my 1996 ls and haven' come across anything I would spend my money on, therefore I don't mind spending 2 or 3k on getting mine fixed up so it lasts me another 4 or 5 years, I bought it 4 years ago for around 1500 can't remember exactly how much now. It's probably standing at 2k with the bits and bobs I've done on it so far. I've been researching over on the American forums and it looks like they put a lot more money into these cars than we do, i even found a fix for the heated seats. 😁

I wonder if second hand car prices are more driven by cheap car leasing that depresses the second hand car market, where as this cheap credit is not a feature of anywhere else. (Not that leasing is cheap, just a lot of people been bitten by the 'get a new car on the never-never bug'.

I bought a 2nd hand 1.6 Cavalier in 1995 for £6K,  then in 2001 paid the same price for a 2.5 Omega (same age), and then in 2007 paid £2.5K for a LS 400.  More car for less price as time went by.

I am sure in years to come the LS 400 will be held with same esteem a Morris Traveller is today, and that just like really well looked after Traveller £2K will not get you a lot.

On the view that Americans value their luxury motors (well at least prepared to pay a higher price), I think they do, but the run of the mill car drive in USA, seems to not worry if all sorts of things are falling off. Well that was my experience of working over their on and off from mid 90's to early 2000's.

20 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I am sure in years to come the LS 400 will be held with same esteem a Morris Traveller is today

I don't for the simple reason(s) the LS 400's were a top end very pricey car for the year's they were made, the traveler was not (using the same context). The travelers were plentiful in their timeline & many 'average drivers' of common makes in UK knew them, the LS400's were never a well known car, they were never an 'average' 'working class' drivers car, I remembered them from the 1950's as soon as I read it, the average child from the 1990's would never have heard of the 'lexus LS 400.......& so on.