Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear end collision shut off

Hi guys, 

I love my new NX300h (67 reg). Unfortunately, someone rear-ended me yesterday when I was stationary in a traffic jam. Damaged plastic bumper, waiting for insurance to sort out. Hope that they won't find hidden faults when they start repairing. Anyway, I can swear that the engine "stalled" and restarted immediately when I was hit but I was in such a shock that I could have imagined it. Could anyone shed some light on any automatic shut off systems there are in the model? Just curious to figure out whether the stalling sound and jerking forward was purely down to the impact, or something else happened.

Needless to say I googled it already but nothing significant came up. 

Thanks in advance 

3 hours ago, Ivelina said:

Hi guys, 

I love my new NX300h (67 reg). Unfortunately, someone rear-ended me yesterday when I was stationary in a traffic jam. Damaged plastic bumper, waiting for insurance to sort out. Hope that they won't find hidden faults when they start repairing. Anyway, I can swear that the engine "stalled" and restarted immediately when I was hit but I was in such a shock that I could have imagined it. Could anyone shed some light on any automatic shut off systems there are in the model? Just curious to figure out whether the stalling sound and jerking forward was purely down to the impact, or something else happened.

Needless to say I googled it already but nothing significant came up. 

Thanks in advance 

Not particularly sure but most cars have an emergency fuel shut off system which may have activated in a serious rear end collision.

In this situation, it seems unlikely as the engine wouldn't come back on once it went out. 

Because its a hybrid vehicle, it shuts on and off as it pleases anyway which is the most plausible explanation, especially in stationary traffic

• Like 1

Thanks, rayaans

Good points, it would not have come back on. What I remember happened is all kinds of dash lights flashed (indicators, etc) and then it showed the loading screen like it does when I press the start button to start the car (not just the noise when the engine stops and starts). But I am probably imagining it. 

Thanks for your input again.

With the traction Battery in the back a significant rear end shunt could of loosened some connections momentarily? I imagine there would be an electrical isolator similar to the petrol cutout.

Hopefully whoever is doing the assessment and repairs will check the hybrid elements

• Like 1

On 24/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, Ivelina said:

Thank you, NemesisUK. Will make sure I mention it to Lexus when they take it in to replace the bumper.

Did you get any pics of the damage? Post them up so we can see the strength of impact. As Peter said above, it could have loosened up some connections or cut the switch so to speak and then turned it back on when it realised it was all clear.