Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Rear lights

Hi guys 

Do any of you have an issue with green slime / mould / something on the very edge of your rear light units ? 

My car is washed regularly but I seem to have this green stuff on the underside of the edges ? It's not actually Inside the light unit but in like a resess ? 

Any ideas how to  remove and prevent .

Thanks in advance John 

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Never seen anything like that - can you take a photo for us?

I will when I'm home fella, bit difficult at the moment I'm 175 miles West of Shetland in the North Atlantic at work. 

• Haha 1

This is very common, we had it on our old Rx400h, once a year I spent about 30mins painstakingly removing it all, I just used a very thin piece of cloth pushed into the gap with a tiny plastic tool (came in a kit with a replacement Iphone screen) and just keep moving around the edges repeating over and over again.

it all came out, till next year😂

Happened on my old 400h. The near side light actually started to let in water too, the rubber seal on the back came unstuck - had to seal it up again. Probably worth taking the light off and checking, you can then clean the mould at the same time :)

1 hour ago, goody said:

This is very common, we had it on our old Rx400h, once a year I spent about 30mins painstakingly removing it all, I just used a very thin piece of cloth pushed into the gap with a tiny plastic tool (came in a kit with a replacement iPhone screen) and just keep moving around the edges repeating over and over again.

it all came out, till next year😂

Well that's something to look forward to lol .

May do it using some antibiactol spray may help keep it at bay ? 

Thanks 

Noticed that myself when I removed the tail lamps of my own (investigating water ingress at the time).  Removing the units might give you more access than attacking them in place.

I used the very edge of a microfiber cloth as there wasn't much room  Think I had some Demonshine interior cleaner just to dampen the cloth.  Algae usually forms on the window slot seals too depending on climate.  For prevention I'd imagine something anti-bacterial would be a better product to use instead.

50 minutes ago, Crowtree said:

Well that's something to look forward to lol .

May do it using some antibiactol spray may help keep it at bay ? 

Thanks 

Possibly, but will no doubt come back at some point.

Take the lights out, check the seal at the back to stop water ingress, and use a toothbrush to get rid of the mould in that gap. It might be worth filling in the gap with some clear silicone sealant to prevent it from happening again.