Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need advise. This is the first time in my life I have come accross a parking fine.

Got a courtesy car from lexus. CT200h (horrible car btw).

The place I parked it, last year it was free parking. This year some areas were free not all for reasons I do not know. There was no sings to indicate that. There were double yellow lines where I parked but they were 100% covered by leaves. I left the car there and walked away as I did nkt see the yellow lines.

Came back to find parking ticket. It was abvious someone moved the leaves and under the Ct200 wheels.

I was getting late but I took picture.

I tried to argue with council but they rejected my argument. Seems unfair to me. What do you guys say? Seems nasty to be honest.

Generally, if that is fine from private person/company you can throw it to the bin. As your fine is from the council it would be much harder, you would need to have very credible evidence to challenge them. Councils are always nasty, they set-up traps and money grabs, so it would be naive to expect them to let you off from their little schemes. What you should have done was to take those leaves back, cover the yellow line and only then take a picture. Then send that picture and say "look there are no yellow lines". Now it is too late...

Your theoretical next step is to appeal for Traffic Adjudicators, however if you just go with same evidence as you provided to the council you are almost 100% going to lose. Furthermore, if you really care I suggest to go to the hearing with Adjudicators in person because they are extremely retarded and will back council without even looking to the case. Now that means that you have to spend time and money doing it which will likely to exceed the fine (I guess £60).

Sadly, my suggestion would be to pay fine especially if you still have initial "discount". 

Seriously, you have never had a parking ticket before? :ohmy::smile:

It can be a tricky one because, if you look at it from the councils perspective, they must get people trying to make excuses all day.

Although, in this case, I do think it is unfair to you.

Unfortunately, unless you have a picture of the car parked with leaves covering everything, there is not much you can do.

You also say there were no signs, but there must be one somewhere close?

You say you argued with the council, so assuming you have already told them all this, then looks like you have to pay up. :sad:

if the signage is wrong, then you may have a case, just on technical grounds...  worth getting some pics with full coverage from where you parked.

Personally, I'd agree with the above, chalk it up as an honest mistake, some you get away with, some you don't.... take the fine and move on  (it will eat you up, and odds are you will have to pay more)

26 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

if the signage is wrong, then you may have a case, just on technical grounds... 

That doesn't work in this case - yellow lines means no parking and no other signs are needed, so even if there are no signs with information the lines alone would cover it.

Rule 238
You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.