Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car - a GSF

Nice one @mrfunex I made the switch from Isf to Gsf about 6 weeks ago, and as you do I love it, nothing negative to report as yet although I might just do the same with the exhaust as I did with the Isf, not quite decided yet.

As the engine in the GS-F is pretty much the same as the RC-F, can you do the simple hack to make it louder below 3500rpm? There is a thread on the RC forum, but I don't know how to make a link.

Below is the link to the internet version using Office Supplies. I used a pencil and masking tape and can confirm it makes a worthwhile difference.

https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rc-f/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-lexus-rc-f-making-it-louder-with-office-supplies.html

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark6pot said:

Done this to my isf back in spring, does sound better.

Does this have any adverse effect on the running of the engine etc & if not any chance of posting a photo of what you did? :thumbsup:

There is a vacuum pull on the flap. A small solenoid controlled by revs simply closes to block the vacuum and cause the flap to fall open.

Remove the tube and block it so there is no vacuum to the flap. You can use a golf t but you're more likely to have an m4 or m5 bolt knocking about the garage? Not even sure it needs blocking. Just pulling it off should be enough. Or clamp it.

I tried it briefly but didn't notice a worthwhile difference.

I don't really like the fact that there is no direct cold air feed to the flap so when it's open hot engine bay air will get in.

At speed there is probably enough cold air flow through the front panel, but at low speed or stationary hot air air may be pulled in.

Beyond this can't see any harm in it. But I would add a snorkel to the front of the car if doing it for keeps I think.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

All I've done is remove the short breather hose and plugged the holes with screws, will get pics tomorrow.

Back in summer sitting in traffic I did notice a drop in power when I did get a chance to give the throttle a good prod but power came back once you were moving and cooler air was coming in through the slots in the inner wing next to the air box flap.

Now in winter and it's averaging 4c during the day here in Scotland this diy mod gives you the maximum torque the engine can produce, the front of the car rises up at low revs.

I need to do a cold air feed from front of car to air box and seal it so it doesn't suck air from engine compartment when sitting still.

My miles per gallon are less after doing this.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Mark6pot said:

All I've done is remove the short breather hose and plugged the holes with screws, will get pics tomorrow.

Back in summer sitting in traffic I did notice a drop in power when I did get a chance to give the throttle a good prod but power came back once you were moving and cooler air was coming in through the slots in the inner wing next to the air box flap.

Now in winter and it's averaging 4c during the day here in Scotland this diy mod gives you the maximum torque the engine can produce, the front of the car rises up at low revs.

I need to do a cold air feed from front of car to air box and seal it so it doesn't suck air from engine compartment when sitting still.

My miles per gallon are less after doing this.

@Mark6pot Thanx for that be interested in the pics 👍

🐀

• Like 1

Congrats.. lovely motor. That is defo one for me when the price is at a reachable level. I love my GS300h i have now and im sure id very much enjoy the GS-F one day too.

• 1 month later...

I've got itchy feet.

A sensibly coloured GSF (sonic silver with black leather) has appeared in the dealer network not that far from home, at Lexus Teesside. Seems it's come straight from Lexus UK, one owner and low miles. I realise that others are for sale at other dealers in the effluent south but realistically its a days travel there and back to see any of them, then the same again to pick up, don't really want the hassle.....

I've had my ISF(2011 facelift) coming up to 2 years and 17,000 miles at the start of the summer and it is a great car. Utterly dependable, reliable, comfortable, quick, effortless on the motorway, rare and remarkably better on fuel than the M5 touring (known to friends as George, as in Best as it liked a drink) that came before it. And like the M5, depreciation is / has been glacial, but fortunately unlike the M5 though, I'm not on first name terms with the service department at the dealers!

The reliability of the thing is the main attraction of the GSF over all of its rivals - and to be honest it was the same for the ISF.I looked at all the options before I decided on the ISF - M3/4/5, RS4/6, C/E 63, Jaaaag XFR/F-type. But it came down to the reliability, the same questions over the potentials on the list are still there now. A mate has owned a RS3 from new (its now 2) - has been in countless times to Audi, one 10 week(!!!!!!) period for a misfire, and is onto its 5th set of front brakes due to squealing and juddering of the front discs. I couldn't and wouldn't put up with issues like this. Maybe I've had my opinions of the other manufactures cars clouded by this friends experience , in the same period my ISF has been to the dealers twice - once for a service, the other time for the airbag upgrade.   I'm not the most tolerant when it comes to the incompetence of dealers and their shortcomings, so keeping away from them is only good for them as well as my blood pressure!

I'm off to see the GSF over the weekend. The opinion of the OP and another poster on the thread is that it's been a positive experience moving to the GSF, has there been any downsides yet, any problems raised their ugly heads?

My concerns are it's size and depreciation. 

Size wise the ISF is spot on. We very rarely as a family use the car, but if we do, its big enough, if a little tight. The GSF is a class up - it may too big. My wife has a company e-class estate that does the family/dog stuff, the question to myself is do I need another big car?

I've been lucky with the last half a dozen or so cars I've had where depreciation hasn't happened or been very slow (except for a ruinous Merc estate). I realise that its part and parcel of owning a car - and as with all the GSFs up for sale its taken a huge hit to date - but as I'm tight I'd hope that the rate of decline in the value has slowed somewhat to make the depreciation more palatable.

Against the GSF the first offer for the ISF is quite encouraging certainly in the right ballpark. Its unlikely that the GSF in 2 years time would achieve the same level of depreciation!

So, that's where I am, anyone who has made the change to an GSF your opinions will be gratefully received, and I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend!!

• Like 2

@Killysprint I am just over 3 months in to ownership with my Gsf and the car just gets better and better for me, nothing gone wrong, no surprises there, and no niggles or things I don't like about it, quite the opposite.

The size of the car for me isn't an issue, I did think it would be, I parked my Isf next to it when I picked it up and as you say there is quite a difference, however on the road its a different story, when "making progress" the size seems to disappear and it really does feel quite different to the Isf.

One thing you will really need to get used to, the amount of attention the car gets, it has really surprised me.

I know what you are saying about the depreciation it is incredible in the first 2 years and while I do think about where the value of the car will be in 3-4 years it did not influence my decision and never has done really, once I have made my decision on a car then that's it I am having it.

Keep us posted..........

Time for some rambling input from me, I suppose...

I've had my GSF for about a month less than @Mark G and I can only echo his positive experiences.

Mine is a black car with a black interior. Mine is an ex-Lexus UK car too. The inside is more modern, with far, far more toys than the ISF, an alcantara dashboard (I can't tell you how much I love this!), and far more comfortable seats. The ISF wasn't exactly uncomfortable in this respect, but the GSF is so much better, if you catch my meaning! The seats are now cooled as well as heated, the radio is a class above, and it's obviously a bigger car inside (as well as out) - it'll seat 5 people whereas the ISF was really designed for 4. The boot is utterly collossal and the sunroof really brightens up the inside.

Outside, the carbon fibre accents really work for me - the rear wing and the front splitter look magnificent. The car manages to look purposeful as well as being subtle - after a few cars that really drew attention I realised that this wasn't necessarily a good thing! The headlights are excellent.

I suppose you'd like to know how it drives? Oh - go on then! It's smoother and more grown up than the ISF for sure. As mentioned before, it's obviously a bigger car to park etc, but once on the move it absolutely doesn't feel it - it sort of shrinks around you - for me, this is the sign of a well engineered machine. You'll have to drive one to see how you get on. The noise is broadly similar to the ISF, the engine revs higher and the gearbox is slightly smoother and a bit more intelligent than before. The different drive modes - economy, normal, sport, sport+ all subtley change the steering weight, engine response and the gearbox's willingness to change. Sport+ really feels like the car is ready to eat the traffic in front, however the lesser sport mode changes the rev counter to match the LFA, with a little persistence line on a gearchange to show what revs you'd reached! As mine is a '16 plate, it doesnt have variable dampers but the standard springs/shocks (remember this old tech?!) are nicely chosen for a good balance of comfort and sportiness. In cold, damp weather it has no problem bothering the TCS at the top end of 3rd...

Economy - urban driving (lots of 30/40 limits) my average is 20-22mpg, on a run you’ll get better than 30mpg without trying too hard.

As for reliability; well - nothing's gone wrong so far. Looking at the service history, I believe a few visits were required back to the dealer to begin with to get the HUD working correctly, but it's been fine ever since. Depreciation? - who cares! Maybe it'll depreciate less, there being only 50-55 of them in the UK as upposed to 200-210 ISFs; maybe it'll continue to drop like a stone as many expensive Japanese saloons seem to. Bear in mind, mine had lost £30k in 18months with the previous owner.

It's by far the most well-sorted car in it's class and can perform effortlessly as a comfortable cruiser, but change to a full on muscle saloon in around a second with a turn of a dial. I honestly had no idea what I'd ever find to replace my ISF, but it seems the answer wasn't so very far away! Here are some pictures of the filthy girl to whet your appetite...

As always, I'll answer any more questions if you need :-)

3624056F-E5B1-4D2B-BDC8-330BF734CBFD.jpeg

0B640C0A-3C85-42AF-B826-9F9DBEF3B35D.jpeg

E5066823-9424-45D0-B108-CA442158367B.jpeg

487CA23F-C894-4266-AD86-C94E60DDDFEF.jpeg

3DFE9F6E-B5A7-4BBC-A0BB-BFDF2B024B9F.jpeg

ED2DD2EA-9C0F-4790-84BB-DC4704F16CE4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@mrfunex Stop this now  you and the rest were supposed to working not hitting the ads looking at......hang on a minute that looks nice Swindon Lexus just advertising Blue 15 plate RCF 😂

🐀

That's same miles as mine when I got it. A little cheaper but not as much cheaper as I had feared last year.

Check the wheels for corrosion when you collect it tomorrow ratty as once 3 years old - no wheel warranty!

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@mrfunex Stop this now  you and the rest were supposed to working not hitting the ads looking at......hang on a minute that looks nice Swindon Lexus just advertising Blue 15 plate RCF 😂

🐀

That could be the one they sold, I remember seeing a blue one around Swindon quite often and I know they were the supplying dealer.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Comedian said:

in the effluent south

If the shoe fits......

Anyway, after a bit of digging and a call from our resident database oracle (thank you again @Big Rat) all is not what it seems with this particular GSF. It seems to have had a very hard short life so far, and consequently not for me. 

I may nip down and check out the car for size, if I like the interior etc,  at the weekend as I have family 5 minutes away from the dealer and I've not actually seen one in the flesh yet.

I'll leave it there and the hunt continues!

Regards from God's Own Country Newcastle Upon Tyne!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

That's same miles as mine when I got it. A little cheaper but not as much cheaper as I had feared last year.

Check the wheels for corrosion when you collect it tomorrow ratty as once 3 years old - no wheel warranty!

@Comedian Going to have a peak at it on Monday, yeah I remember your wheel thread thanx for the heads up..... I'm only going to look.......of course nothing more........😇

🐀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killysprint said:

If the shoe fits......

Anyway, after a bit of digging and a call from our resident database oracle (thank you again @Big Rat) all is not what it seems with this particular GSF. It seems to have had a very hard short life so far, and consequently not for me. 

I may nip down and check out the car for size, if I like the interior etc,  at the weekend as I have family 5 minutes away from the dealer and I've not actually seen one in the flesh yet.

I'll leave it there and the hunt continues!

Regards from God's Own Country Newcastle Upon Tyne!!

@Killysprint Happy to help fella yep go and see they are a fantastic car good colour that one :whistling:

So remember though you ain't just ' Going doon  toon to spend a pound' to get that one :yahoo:

Oh your pictures are on the way to your email 👍

🐀

2 hours ago, Mark G said:

That could be the one they sold, I remember seeing a blue one around Swindon quite often and I know they were the supplying dealer.

@Mark G Yep your right they were the supplying dealer, owner from up the road in Reading.

🐀

58 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I'm very tempted myself, hoping to free up some time to go and look at one.

How stiff is the suspension? Does it cope with poor roads at low speed?

Its a firmer ride - although nowadays it’s probably the same as any other car. (Why does nobody make a comfortable car any more apart from Citroen? Anyway, I digress...) There’s a lot more control over rough/bumpy roads and none of the jarring that I noticed in my 2008 ISF before I swapped over to ‘13 suspension.