Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this something that we should be worried about ...?

3 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Why are keys 'active' all the time? Surely it should only transmit a signal when a button on the key is pressed?

My GS is keyless entry & start and I don't have to press a button to unlock the door or start it. If I walk near the approach lights switch on to.

3 minutes ago, capese21 said:

My GS is keyless entry & start and I don't have to press a button to unlock the door or start it. If I walk near the approach lights switch on to.

Ah, right. Maybe we've got too lazy for our own good if the price of not pressing a button is easy theft of the car  :ohmy:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no hero and if anyone threatened my wife or myself I'd basically throw the keys at them and just say take it. My main point is to ask, do we REALLY need keyless entry? Have we really got to the point where pressing a button is just too difficult or awkward for us to do?

Having a key/fob constantly transmitting a signal, just so that we don't have to press a button, insert key and turn it - especially when said signal seems to be an open invitation for the car to be stolen easily - just seems pointless technology to me and something that was added to the cars just because it could be done, rather than an actual need for it.

• Like 2

when there is demand there will be supply. customers are prepared to fork out hundreds of pounds for keyless entry so car manufacturers are happy as well.

who would order a brand new LC500 with a key alone that you have to insert into the door twist and again insert into the steering column and twist?

Maybe if this was a very expensive option you could tick and the snobs could brag in the pub, hey have you seen my key?? 

36 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Having a key/fob constantly transmitting a signal, just so that we don't have to press a button, insert key and turn it - especially when said signal seems to be an open invitation for the car to be stolen easily - just seems pointless technology to me and something that was added to the cars just because it could be done, rather than an actual need for it.

Keyless entry is mighty convenient & one of my favourite features on the GS.  It is very secure if you keep the fob safe.  I tried a biscuit tin & it still worked but inside a metal cafetière it didn't. So if I am worried that is where my fob will be at night.    

Back in the day thieves would just snap the ignition lock & join the wires.  As vehicles have got more sophisticated so have some thieves but more likely professional gangs stealing to order rather than joy riders.

The problem is if the gang has specifically come to steal your motor and find the signal blocked will really ***** them off and probably make them more determined meaning they will more than likely just break into your house to get the fob and probably beat you to a pulp in the process. 

meaning they will more than likely just break into your house to get the fob and probably beat you to a pulp in the process. 

Not going to happen. They want to be in and out, gone, without fuss. They expect most keys to be hanging up by the front door. People are creatures of habit. They can have a fight if they want but I wouldn't put money on them winning. And if they did defeat the Mrs then I suppose I may hand over the key ;)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, peachy said:

The problem is if the gang has specifically come to steal your motor and find the signal blocked will really ***** them off and probably make them more determined meaning they will more than likely just break into your house to get the fob and probably beat you to a pulp in the process. 

I doubt that very much - it's all about deterrent, which is why I always use a physical crook lock device on my steering wheel and why my house has a burglar alarm installed. The bad guys of this world want an easy 'in, out, gone' life so they see the deterrents and move on to an easier job somewhere else.

If they really, REALLY do want that specific car and break in to get the fob, that's when you hand it over and think to yourself 'well, it's just a lump of metal, I'll ring the insurance people tomorrow.'

Firstly I would like to say that I don't no the person or have anything to do with the company selling this product

i don't, no do any of my friends or family make this product

I just thought I would let you all no of a cheep product that would help keep you pride and joy safer.

after reading on this form about potential theft of our loved Lexus cars, and how they can now use a detector from out side your house and scan for your keys anywhere in your house  I decided do give this product a go, and can say that it works perfectly, once the keys were in the pouch I stood next to the car and the boot and doors would not open, I took the keys out of the pouch, got in the car, put the keys back in the pouch and the car would not start, ( a message saying " Keys not detected ).

I brought 2 of this , one for my spare set of keys and one for my general use keys.

At less then £3 each I think it was a very good buy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Key-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Bag-Version-for-Phone/232535957664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 2