Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Abit of urgent help please

I am trying to take the dashcam out of my car and have run into a bit of a problem and am wondering if anyone might be able to help please.

I have managed to partly free the trim at the passenger side of the windscreen and have got at the cables.  I can't seem to be able to (easily) get the trim completely out though.  I have dropped down a panel that lies beneath the glove box and can get hold of the cables but, I think that I need to remove the glovebox itself.  I have removed the three screws across the top of the glovebox but cannot see any other fixings in order to get it out.  has anyone removed theirs?

The main power cable seems to go behind the centre console, is there a fuse box there or perhaps it goes behind the console to the other side of the car.

If anyone has any tips on getting this out, I will be forever grateful.

Many thanks

There's a fuse box in the passenger footwell, I'd have assumed that was the easiest to access for powering dash cams.

One of my first posts explains how I removed the panels and other things to get to the fuse box. Have a search. There's a possibility your fitter used the same cable routes I did. In which case, you have some fairly comprehensive instructions.

Hi Matt, thank you for your input.

As I said in my original post, I have dropped the panel that is beneath the glove box and I can see the power feed cable and it definitely either goes somewhere within the centre console or passes behind it to some power source on the drivers side.  It definitely doesn't go into anything on the passenger side.

I haven't been able to find your instructions yet.

Hi Bluenose

If you're struggling to get the trims that run down the windscreen (A pillar I believe they are called), they are a right pain. There's some black clip that must be rotated 90 degrees at the top, and if memory serves me correctly, the bottom too, before the trim effortlessly detaches. Getting this off is a faff and took me ages. It's important however, it keeps the trim in place if airbag deploys. Stops it hitting you in the face at high speed. 

Would getting the above trim off help at all? If so, it will come off if you persevere. Maybe you can see things a bit more clearly. If your fitter did what I did, I fixed the power cable in place at this point, so the air bag would not deploy with a thick cable running in front it. Could be dangerous otherwise.

Any clues here? 

Sorry I can't be of much further help. 

Leave it in for the next owner, it's only about £15 for a new hard-wire kit, which isn't much when you're spending thousands on a change of car anyway - just not worth the hassle of getting it out.

I have had another look this morning and the power cable definitely seems to go into the centre console at the back of it and not across into the drivers side footwell.  I'm wondering if they have made the connection to something in there.

How easy is it to get into this area, anyone done it?  Also, how easy is it to remove the trim (without breaking any clips!) around the base of the door openings.  If it's not too bad I might be able to get the rear camera cable out and just leave the power cable in situ.