Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

BMW M4 v RC-F

When yo watch the video he's timing the lap using Auto sport+ and complaining about the shift program. 

If he'd gone into expert mode then it lets the rev limiter get hit and shifts faster

So i don’t technically own my ISF my business does....... not that I’m trying to............’ Sliver ‘my way into the poll by the back door I’m to ‘silver’ tongue to try anything like that. I accept that if ‘Silver’ doesn’t win in defeat I will accept that every cloud has a ‘silver ‘ lining and will on this occasion accept second place ‘silver’............ I can hear @Flytvr response now............

Stooooooopppppp !

🐀

• Haha 1

I have seen this review previously, I kind of like the attitude of the driver as he not overly punishes RC-F on the track even though it is arguably overweight... 

One thing which annoys me is that they always compare RC-F with M4+carbon ceramic brakes on the track. Whereas RC-F is excellent car in many aspects it is definitely not on par with M4 on the track... just isn't... with the weight, with the gearbox etc. Not only that they add optional Carbon ceramics brakes on M4.. which makes not much sense on the road, but on track they really add value... so how that is fair comparison?!

I guess they kind of consider that and balance it out in their review, but why add optional extra on BMW in first place?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I have seen this review previously, I kind of like the attitude of the driver as he not overly punishes RC-F on the track even though it is arguably overweight... 

One thing which annoys me is that they always compare RC-F with M4+carbon ceramic brakes on the track. Whereas RC-F is excellent car in many aspects it is definitely not on par with M4 on the track... just isn't... with the weight, with the gearbox etc. Not only that they add optional Carbon ceramics brakes on M4.. which makes not much sense on the road, but on track they really add value... so how that is fair comparison?!

I guess they kind of consider that and balance it out in their review, but why add optional extra on BMW in first place?

It's a tough one but the press cars are always going to be well spec'd and as a result is sometimes not a fair comparison.

If ceramic discs were an option on the RCF then who's to say that Lexus wouldn't do the same, I know I would!!  

Many car mags will publish as tested prices so sometimes that shows up the better spec'd cars but I'd like to think that if you have enough money for either car then your not daft and can see through the lap times!

Track battles are a little meaningless anyway to be honest, I know I wouldn't but an M4 over an RCF because it's a little quicker round a track.  The issues I have with BMW at the moment is the fact that it's a BMW.  It's a brand image thing for me!!

On 12/1/2017 at 4:33 PM, Flytvr said:

please note that in the USA, M4 is 13K more expensive than the RC-F. Here in UK, they both cost the same ( actually the M4 is a few grand cheaper considering discounts etc)

life is unfair this side of the pond...

13 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

please note that in the USA, M4 is 13K more expensive than the RC-F. Here in UK, they both cost the same ( actually the M4 is a few grand cheaper considering discounts etc)

life is unfair this side of the pond...

Or is it opposite? That I guess depends whenever you want M4 or RC-F...

@Jgtcracer - what is wrong with BMW brand? I guess some nut heads drives them (or used to... now it is Audi's).. but that Has nothing to do with the car brand, they simply make nice cars and if policies cannot prevent antisocial driving it is not their fault. 

31 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Or is it opposite? That I guess depends whenever you want M4 or RC-F...

@Jgtcracer - what is wrong with BMW brand? I guess some nut heads drives them (or used to... now it is Audi's).. but that Has nothing to do with the car brand, they simply make nice cars and if policies cannot prevent antisocial driving it is not their fault. 

I drive an ISF because I want to be different and own something that I know I'm not going to see going to work and back in.  That's not something that can be said about an M4.  I personally am not a fan of BMWs, never have been.  I almost bought an E46 M3 maybe 8 years ago when I was 23 and was told by main dealer salesman that I "should look at something a little more within my price range"

It pretty much sums it up for me.

@Linas.P, what's wrong with the Audi brand?????

• Like 1

It'll certainly be faster when the BMW's turbos have failed or vanos is acting up. Plus have you heard an M4 cold start? Sounds like a bag of spanners.

Interesting article though.

• Haha 1

But according to this gentleman the rcf is dope with cold interior. ( think that's a grade higher than cool but not as dope as ice-cold).

Bet y'all can't watch it right to the end. I couldn't.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Even room for one golf club in the boot :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

cold start and spanners.... It pretty much sounds like vacuum cleaner on steroids regardless if it is warm or cold... Just the property of triple quadruple charge tiny engine... nothing will ever sound as good as NA V8+ in petrol heads head.. so no point even discussing, but that bland sounding engine does it job on the track - M4 for me sounds almost like "track workhorse".

@Jgtcracer - so you base negative opinion on the popularity of the car and one stupid dealer? Though I guess that is UK issue where young people are discouraged from driving nice cars... sorry total nonsense I have just said - discouraged from driving full stop.... and especially from driving nice cars, because hey - you might even accidentally like it!

@Comedian - what I like more than the reviewer himself is his companion who is basically indifferent... like w'ever bro!

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

cold start and spanners.... It pretty much sounds like vacuum cleaner on steroids regardless if it is warm or cold... Just the property of triple quadruple charge tiny engine... nothing will ever sound as good as NA V8+ in petrol heads head.. so no point even discussing, but that bland sounding engine does it job on the track - M4 for me sounds almost like "track workhorse".

@Jgtcracer - so you base negative opinion on the popularity of the car and one stupid dealer? Though I guess that is UK issue where young people are discouraged from driving nice cars... sorry total nonsense I have just said - discouraged from driving full stop.... and especially from driving nice cars, because hey - you might even accidentally like it!

@Comedian - what I like more than the reviewer himself is his companion who is basically indifferent... like w'ever bro!

With the greatest respect, it's my opinion so I can base it on what I like.  That's how opinions are formed.

It's obviously more than that but you can't honestly claim to have no prejudices against any brands based on the fact you don't particularly like them though there's no real reason for it.

You know what, your right, I'm a knob.  Can we move on as the thread is about the M4, not how bigoted I am

• Like 2

I didn't say that.... actually I kind of agree. You asked what is wrong with Audi.... and my answer is - nothing, I just don't like their cars... I appreciate that uniqueness of the car adds to the charm and that is the only reason why Jaguar and Lexus exists in UK - to give alternative over German cars. However, at the same time I appreciate the car the way it is - if one car is going to be exceptionally better than others I don't care what badge it is on the car e.g. I like BMW M3 E92... I think it is great car and I don't care what badge is on it.

To the topic - I believe that BMW M4 is better car on the track, but exactly at the same time RC-F is better car overall in my opinion. BMW M4 does everything exactly right and with German efficiency - good if you are team racing driver. But if you are a human being who want to enjoy some driving experience and who not necessarily have skill or need to be on the closed track everyday... I believe M4 is rather bland (and most Audis), where RC-F has more character and more fun without a need for closed track and high speeds.

• Like 1

I see new M5 had torque converter.

BMW said they were phasing out DCT and Manuals - guess no-one believed them?

BMW fans rapidly deleting old posts from youtube :whistling1:

Wonder if M4 will get torque converter in next gen.

Beemers are great if you want predictable maintenance costs. The same stuff goes wrong at the same mileages across the ranges so for that they can be good. Knowing what mileage car is likely to have a hefty bill just around the bend.

Lexus approaches that in a different way..... Not much goes wrong.

I prefer the Lexus option as it means more of my cash goes on spangly aftermarket parts rather than un-spangly essential mechanical items.

Having owned 5 high performance Beemers in the past I wouldn't even want to know what they cost me in essential repairs over the years. Driving experience or no Driving experience. You can only drive them when they're not on a lift with some geezer about to tell you you need a new diff / steering rack / lower control arms / thermostat / PCV valve / rocker gasket / oil filter housing / injectors / turbos / cats.... Take your pick!

• Like 4

had a F01 730d for 75K miles ( truth been told, motorway miles)

Very low maintenance cost overall, no mechanical failure what so ever

Now the G11 740d xdrive, 10K MIles, no problem what so ever, first service after another 10K miles.

again, these are mostly motorway miles. So far so good, G11 is a big improvement over F01. Still interested in getting LS though

I've had more than a few Beamers in the past. Never went as far as M car however, so reliability in all fairness was very good.

Trouble is that all the modern beamers look the same. I'd even go as far as saying that the new M5 looks really boring :( 

8 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I've had more than a few Beamers in the past. Never went as far as M car however, so reliability in all fairness was very good.

Trouble is that all the modern beamers look the same. I'd even go as far as saying that the new M5 looks really boring :( 

I second that!

Looks like a base model.

• Like 1