Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keyless start disabling.

OK to answer my own question,  the start button works once you are in the car, because....

.....this is a TEMPORARY solution. This is due to the fact that, when you use the fob, even once, by pressing unlock  to open the door whatever,  it turns it back to keyless entry.  Glad I found that out before ditching my farraday pouch !

So if you disable it on the fob using the Battery saving method as Thackeray described, it will only be disabled until you press a button on the fob.

24 minutes ago, Slicendice said:

it will only be disabled until you press a button on the fob

This is exactly right. I used to think that the key was brought back to life by unlocking the doors. But, of course, it's also brought back to life by opening the boot. Any button will reactivate the key.

I used to think it was very convenient to be able to open the boot with the key because the boot would automatically lock when you closed it. No need to press the key again to lock it and a steady red light in the middle of the dashboard confirmed that the car was locked. But what I didn't initially think of was that although the car was all locked up when you closed the boot, the key had been reactivated. So you would have to turn it off again if you wanted to avoid thieves being able to pick up the signal and take the car away.

Depending on your spec option / year the menus might look different but should be the same/similar path to switch off the car accepting the smart entry signal from the fob. Once off buttons to open doors and boot, hover key over start button then press after beep to start. Screenshots on the original post linked below:

• 2 weeks later...

On the premium navigation cars [I imagine a similar option is available on the other set ups as well though], you can disable keyless entry/start by:

Set up

Car

Vehicle customization

Door locks

Keyless [on/off]

My local Toyota/Lexus dealership do this as a routine on the demo vehicles!

I have keyless turned off. It means you need to press the unlock button on the fob to get in, and hold the fob over the button start to allow the button start to work. No big deal in terms off loss of convenience in my view. I had a previous generation IS250 stolen, which the insurers felt was a keyless theft.

3 hours ago, PPD said:

I had a previous generation IS250 stolen

Off-topic: I see you replaced your stolen IS250 with an IS200T. This model attracts little attention on here (other than the odd outburst of abuse). How do you rate your car, Patrick?

21 hours ago, MartinH said:

Off-topic: I see you replaced your stolen IS250 with an IS200T. This model attracts little attention on here (other than the odd outburst of abuse). How do you rate your car, Patrick?

Hi Martin

I bought it in 2016 as a virtually new demonstrator. At the time, the non hybrid IS's were all being discounted significantly.

It has been great. Over 60000 miles, apart from routine stuff the only replacement has been a new battery, which was surprisingly cheap for a stop start. Fuel economy only so-so, and probably Lexus could have stuck with the 6 cylinder 2500. No obvious replacement in the Lexus line up, so will continue to keep it. The continuing warranty cover now offered by Lexus/Toyota is a great addition too. The infotainment system was never awesome, even in the premium version. I installed a Brodit phone holder [highly recommended], and can use my phone as an entirely adequate alternative. Satnavishop also sell the branded sd cards to update  the premium navigation [much cheaper than Lexus] as an alternative.

On the premium navigation cars [I imagine a similar option is available on the other set ups as well though], you can disable keyless entry/start by:

Set up

Car

Vehicle customization

Door locks

Keyless [on/off]

My local Toyota/Lexus dealership do this as a routine on the demo vehicles!

I have keyless turned off. It means you need to press the unlock button on the fob to get in, and hold the fob over the button start to allow the button start to work. No big deal in terms off loss of convenience in my view. I had a previous generation IS250 stolen, which the insurers felt was a keyless theft.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi - new to this forum. if you disable the keyless entry, and the fob, but have to press the button on the fob, wont the thieves be able to intercept that signal when you are opening the door to achieve what they want.  context is that in my area 3 lexus' have been stolen - all owners put their keys in pouches so the hypothesis is that thieves are waiting for you to unlock the car, copy the signal and return later to steal the car. thanks.

6 minutes ago, Kooliest said:

hi - new to this forum. if you disable the keyless entry, and the fob, but have to press the button on the fob, wont the thieves be able to intercept that signal when you are opening the door to achieve what they want.  context is that in my area 3 lexus' have been stolen - all owners put their keys in pouches so the hypothesis is that thieves are waiting for you to unlock the car, copy the signal and return later to steal the car. thanks.

My understanding is the system creates a rolling code that changes at each activation. The thieves may capture the signal/code but it wouldn't work a second time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

My understanding is the system creates a rolling code that changes at each activation. The thieves may capture the signal/code but it wouldn't work a second time. 

Thank you NemesisUK!

On 10/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, MartinH said:

How do you rate your car, Patrick?

Oh I see you answered this, thank you! In a nutshell, the turbo 2-litre has the same virtues as the V6 but brings little advantage over the model it replaced. A V6 IS3 might prove a good-value buy for one who does little mileage, then. However I have just today paid next year's VED (never say RFL!) — £340, ouch! Perhaps I am headed towards another Toyota Camry, eventually. It would be the third one!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links