Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

cambelt, peripherals, waterpump and starter motor brushes

Gentlemen good afternoon,

I've been trying quite unsuccessfully, to find the threads on here which would give me the benefit of your wisdom from time to time on the best sources of these bits and bobs.

I know you have all been kind enough to give your experiences but they have been amongst other threads.

My indy mechanic has asked me to seek the advice of The Forum on where he might best source the best of the necessaries for the upcoming event, in about 3k miles time, about 3 months.

Your thoughts and words of wisdom would be most gratefully welcome please guys.

Thank you

Malc

I bought & used this cambelt kit last May, everything is for my car/your car, the cambelt itself is japanese made & sold out of germany by a german company, if you prefer to use only the gates belt you could but that as seperate purchase, I also think someone said gates does a kit so you can try & check that out, I'm happy enough this kit.....my thoughts are that cannot be many more of these around due the 1995's being long since obsolete, so availablity may not be prolific for much longer

http://ebay.eu/2jaZrDM

I don't know about starting motor bushes, but, I do know that Lexus edgware rd, london do a part exchange deal for a refurbished providing the starter on your car is a Lexus starter, somewhere around 250quid I think, maybe check it out with them. Who says its 'only' the bushes? someone who checked it?

I'll tell you this much, its a big job, the starter is attached to upper manifold between cabin & engine, that means the top manifold has to come off & thats a big job in terms of time & cost of starter refurb, so,do check out the Lexus refurb deal maybe they have a deal about fitting it,

Well bless your mechanic.

I’m a fan of OE but it’s expensive and for brakes, plugs, oil filter, I have stuck with OE.

Admittedly the £ was good but went for a Gates kit TCKWP298 that had everything needed and I opted to replace the Idler pulley and belt tensioner too. I had a Circoli thermostat that I fitted having good experience of the manufacturer previously. The kit I bought from Rick Auto including tax an delivery. Noted a couple of pulleys were OE manufacturers...hope the spec was the same...😉

All went on smoothly. 

Please shop around as there are chancers and blagards around...whilst I respect Blueprint...I can buy OE for cheaper than that brand from the  Lexus dealers.

If you want original then call Lexus Birmingham and ask for a discount and best price...no I don’t work for them but I’m a repeating happy customer...burp😀

38 minutes ago, plexus914 said:

Look for starter repair kits on UK-fleabay (repairkitsuk)

Its not just the starter repair (whatever is needed) its the flaming fact that all the work that has to be done what by removing the top manifold etc all for what probably amounts to a simple job on the starter itself being where it is, I never heard of one so inaccessible as this:yucky: 

As far as the kits you mention are concerned if an owner is non-mechi skilled (me) they have to find someone to do the job whilst the car is laid up >somewhere< whilst the repairs take place

Having done this job myself I can personally vouch it is an absolute nightmare taking around 8 hours of back breaking effort.

The problem is the solenoid and the contacts wearing out giving intermittent starting.

The pictures show the components involved and the wear due to electrical arcing.

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

• Like 1

Had this car over 6 years now and the cambelt is due to be changed, as a run of the mill service  item  :winkiss:  ..............  the starter motor is absolutely fine and was replaced under the Lexus Recall for the Mk3 but probably 20+ years ago

now on 201500 miles, cambelt due to change at 204500 miles

Whilst all the gubbins is being taken apart by my indy mechanic and this mammoth job done,  I thought it prudent to replace the starter motor brushes now too ..... to make sure it lasts another 100k miles till the next major event 

Any more useful info on sourcing the cambelt, peripherals and waterpump would be gratefully welcome and also 

Steve2006, could you please put me in the right direction of the Starter Motor repair kit please, numbers etc if possible.

Thank you so much guys

Malc

Gentlemen good afternoon, well, if there's no more input from you guys of wisdom I'll convey this Forum link to my indy mechanic to prepare stuff

Thanks once again

Malc

• Like 1

Hi guys, a little query to resolve please.

Is removing the starter motor ( to overhaul ) an integral part of the process of stripping down and dealing with the cambelt etc ?

Thanks

Malc

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

Hi guys, a little query to resolve please.

Is removing the starter motor ( to overhaul ) an integral part of the process of stripping down and dealing with the cambelt etc ?

Thanks

Malc

It's not really.  The cam belt replacement is all at the front, whereas the starter is all at the top.  I think very little is removed from the top to make it worth doing the starter at the same time. 

• Like 1

I would think it unlikely as they are usually at different 'ends' of the engine, the cambelt is at the front and the starter at the rear.

After a few mins digging it seems that the starter is nestled in the v of the engine and it's removal might also need a coolant 'bridge' removing, according to this thread;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/194735-ls400-starter-replacement-a-story-by-bdr-4.html#post5240463

The cam belt is at the front;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/636730-timing-belt-help-cam-marks.html#post7256554

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

No, nothing at all.