Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There's an SC 430  02 reg, 54,000 miles, estimated at £5000 at Wilson's Auction in Newcastle tomorrow night ( Wednesday 7/12 /2017 ).  Just in case anyone's interested as I don't think there's many about.  

Jim

If you Google the SC430 you will find there are a lot about not so many with 50 K on the clock but some nice examples.

I toyed with the idea of one for the weekend a couple of years ago but if you look at Hammond the hamster  review on u-tube he trashes it I did a lot of research and in the end I trashed it as I believe it was not right for numerous reasons.

The main one it was neither fish nor foul in respect of the drive( Automatic sports car?) and the actual ride experience was akin to a Triumph frog eyed sprite( I had one back in 69 so I know) hard is what I am trying to say.

Most of the reviews in the states where it was aimed at are very staid and it was mainly sold to middle aged rich women who did'nt want the Sedan .

As we all know the build quality is a Lexus through and through but the concept at the time was way off.

Phil,   some good info there but I'm not into sports cars, just thought someone may be looking  for one so it may have been "a not to be missed car".  Whenever I'm asked "do you not fancy a sports car" I always say  no,  I had motor bikes in my teens and none of them were under 500ccs.  For the record.....Sunbeam 500ccs in line twin/shaft drive, Triumph Tiger 100,  500ccs parallel twin,  Norton 650ccs Dominator and lastly  Norton 750 Dunstall Atlas.

Hi Jim

Appreciate your reply I never got a motor bike my old man put the block on said I was mad enough on a push bike did have a vespa scooter I bought for £20  for two weeks when I was at Catterick in 65 but it was used to get me back there after a weekend leave and someone gave me a tenner for it.

By the way in my previous post I referred to the frog eyed sprite as a Triumph when in fact they were Austin Healey , it was along time ago.

2 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Hi Jim

Appreciate your reply I never got a motor bike my old man put the block on said I was mad enough on a push bike did have a vespa scooter I bought for £20  for two weeks when I was at Catterick in 65 but it was used to get me back there after a weekend leave and someone gave me a tenner for it.

By the way in my previous post I referred to the frog eyed sprite as a Triumph when in fact they were Austin Healey , it was along time ago.

Frogeye Sprite, great little car which by today standards weren't much better than some of the karts we used to make out of orange boxes. I loved my Frogeye I wish I still had it.

It's not in Friday's sale but there's still time if it hasn't been sold. I think they'll give the sale price over the phone. At £5000 hammer/estimate price there's another £400 commission to add on.  Wilson's are pretty steep since taking over from SMAG Auctions.

I wish I still had the Sunbeam.

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Frogeye Sprite, great little car which by today standards weren't much better than some of the karts we used to make of orange boxes. I loved my Frogeye I wish I still had it.

Reminds me that a long time ago in the School Playground, I was asked "what is green and round and hard and comes out of the ground at 100mph?

I didn`t know, but was told that it was an Austin Healey Sprout !

On 12/6/2017 at 4:21 PM, ambermarine said:

Jim

If you Google the SC430 you will find there are a lot about not so many with 50 K on the clock but some nice examples.

I toyed with the idea of one for the weekend a couple of years ago but if you look at Hammond the hamster  review on u-tube he trashes it I did a lot of research and in the end I trashed it as I believe it was not right for numerous reasons.

The main one it was neither fish nor foul in respect of the drive( Automatic sports car?) and the actual ride experience was akin to a Triumph frog eyed sprite( I had one back in 69 so I know) hard is what I am trying to say.

Most of the reviews in the states where it was aimed at are very staid and it was mainly sold to middle aged rich women who did'nt want the Sedan .

As we all know the build quality is a Lexus through and through but the concept at the time was way off.

Interesting view Phil, did you ever drive an SC430?  

Some of the Hampster's comments were fair enough but do remember that the early reviews were with the SC on run-flats. That was a big mistake, proper tyres made a huge difference.

Having owned one for 3 years the only thing that really doesn't make sense to me is the silly back seats. They are good for a few bits of luggage or small passengers for 30 minutes only so think of it as a 2 seater sports tourer/hard top cabriolet and it makes more sense. As a 4 seat car it's a non-starter. 

I read all of the reports and reviews, I didn't really like the shape of it either but as a Soarer enthusiast it was always on my list to try. 

Ignoring all of the project modifications to mine, I'll admit I was convinced I would tire of it within the first year but I was quite wrong. They really are a good car. I would say the ride on the standard suspension is closest to a GS430, indeed it has a lot in common with the GS. With aftermarket adjustable coilovers it's even better. It's fair to say the later 6 speed SC is a better sports package than the earlier one. I agree it's a bit 'staid' in style and feature but it retained some of that earlier Lexus quality that the LS 400 scores over the newer models. 

Hi Neil

Yes I borrowed one that Lexus Glasgow had on offer for a ride round the city ,I have to admit the roads around there were not good but the M8 gave me a chance to open it up and I found the response similar to my LS but felt better because the car was tighter but not a sports car feel if you get my point.

I know that the looks put people off but I quite like the look which drew my interest in the first place.

Enjoy your car.

• Like 1

Ah, glad you tested one. Yes I know what you mean and I couldn't agree more. It's a fairly 'relaxed' cabriolet in standard form though the later 6 speed does help. It's a shame Lexus pitched it as they did with a heavy bias to sell well in the US. It ought to have been developed with a lot more 'edge' and tech as the Soarer was to the early LS400. Once you've had one, it's hard not to compare everything to an LS, it sets a standard difficult to equal.

Neil; you should post a link to your string on your work on your car (if only because I've lost it.....)

I was tempted by the thought of the 6 speed one in the (very short) low tax year, before it became £500, but decided that my head was still thinking I was 40.....not 70!

Phil; was your 'fish or foul' a deliberate mis-spell? (Fowl, obviously..)

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

And GHOTI spells fish !  (see google)

So Neil should have said  .....ghoti or fowl ?

@royoftherovers  John, I get lots of things wrong and fall foul of the spelling police very often but that wasn't my quote.:smile:

@Chris SkeltonHi Chris, you're never too old for a mid life crisis vehicle. I dare not post a link to the darker shade of grey mammoth thread elsewhere but there is an easy to locate 'cut down' version' in the LOC Build section if ever the sleeping pills aren't working. Have you seen the brilliant IS300 there too?

The SC is now somewhere just North of 307 bhp, Mark Levinson has been completely evicted, Alpine, DLS, Focal and JL Audio are resident but the orchestra is still in the process of learning to play together. I haven't quite got the K3 Focal Elite mid bass singing from the same hymn sheet yet (crossover and door build/sound deadening issues) but the signs are good. The shrill ML top end is gone at high output.

Have you found an even more rare Citroen or might you be tempted back to something with an L on the front?

20 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Neil; you should post a link to your string on your work on your car (if only because I've lost it.....)

I was tempted by the thought of the 6 speed one in the (very short) low tax year, before it became £500, but decided that my head was still thinking I was 40.....not 70!

Phil; was your 'fish or foul' a deliberate mis-spell? (Fowl, obviously..)

well spotted senior moment.

13 hours ago, Neil E said:

@royoftherovers  John, I get lots of things wrong and fall foul of the spelling police very often but that wasn't my quote.:smile:

@Chris SkeltonHi Chris, you're never too old for a mid life crisis vehicle. I dare not post a link to the darker shade of grey mammoth thread elsewhere but there is an easy to locate 'cut down' version' in the LOC Build section if ever the sleeping pills aren't working. Have you seen the brilliant IS300 there too?

The SC is now somewhere just North of 307 bhp, Mark Levinson has been completely evicted, Alpine, DLS, Focal and JL Audio are resident but the orchestra is still in the process of learning to play together. I haven't quite got the K3 Focal Elite mid bass singing from the same hymn sheet yet (crossover and door build/sound deadening issues) but the signs are good. The shrill ML top end is gone at high output.

Have you found an even more rare Citroen or might you be tempted back to something with an L on the front?

Neil, I realised it was not your quote and I should have quoted Chris, sorry,but do enjoy the SC.

• Like 1