Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC-F Tyres

Just doing a bit of pre-buying research and thought I'd post this here so I can find it in a few months:

EVO summer Tyre test results: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-EVO-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

My preferred supplier is Tyres on the drive - I find it easy and the guys take great care of your wheels - taking photographs before and after.

My 2 choices are:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s comes in at £967.96 the set fitted

Falken FK510 (only a smidge behind 4s performance) coming in at £607.97 the set. £360 saving - nearly enough for a years tax or warranty.

Any good suggestions welcome.

I have fitted 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to rear of my ISF in 275/30/19 fitment.  Previously had Conti Sport 6's in same size.

So far so good.  Really pleased with them so far.  Good grip.  Good level of noise and randomly....  they look ace as well due to random finish on sidewall.

The review appears to be on the Pilot Sport 4 though which is a different tyre to the 4S but I may be reading your 2 choices wrong.  The 4S is available 19 inch and above.  I think the 4 only goes to 18.

41 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

The only experience I’ve had of Falkens were FK452s, and they were pretty good. 

How many miles do you do a year/what kind of driving? 

4-5k in the RC just road - you know - fast in a straight line until I get stuck behind next the Hybrid driver staring at his MPG :whistling:

4 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

The review appears to be on the Pilot Sport 4 though which is a different tyre to the 4S but I may be reading your 2 choices wrong.  The 4S is available 19 inch and above.  I think the 4 only goes to 18.

You're absolutely correct - I didn't spot that but found this info (which suggests a bigger performance difference for the £360 and according to the US site a 30,000 mile warranty (do we get that?)):

To add to the confusion, Michelin also has the new Pilot Sport 4. That tire doesn’t hold the same ultimate performance focus as the PS4S and is exclusively a European-market tire, outside of a handful of OEM applications. That’s why there is an ‘S’ in ‘PS4S,’ signifying a level of performance beyond the Pilot Sport 4, similar to Porsche’s badging scheme for the 911 Carrera S versus the standard 911 Carrera.

@ComedianI tend to err towards OEM tyres for high performance vehicles, I believe that Lexus tend to fit Michelin to the Rcf and Gsf, I was contracted to Michelin for tyre development work in a previous life as to their tyres use in fast road/performance applications and I'm a great advocate to this day of their products. 

But as you mentioned in the beginning-cost- I've recently replaced my isF set of four and have stuck with OEM Bridgestones £600.00 all in, the tyre is still in my option still suitable for the vehicle and purpose it's put to.

The Michelin is a premium tyre and priced accordingly, paying slightly less for the next best is the way I'd go.

🐀

Agree and fully appreciate Michelin quality when the car is pushed on. However in reality I will be exploiting a limited percentage of what it / they capable of.

I would prefer the Michelin. But saving 3rd to get 90+ percent is a strong temptation to try the others.

I don't know why but I've never liked Bridgestone on bikes or cars. They seem to demand you trust them without convincing you.

I'm not sure how many more miles I can get yet, need to measure tread but they appear to be holding up quite well.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

[mention=54052]Comedian[/mention]I tend to err towards OEM tyres for high performance vehicles, I believe that Lexus tend to fit Michelin to the Rcf and Gsf,
[emoji232]

Forgot to add. Pilot super sport currently fitted.

I can recommend the Michelin  PS4S. Just replaced the OEM Bridgestones. Noticeably softer compound giving more grip, during both normal and spirited driving. Big rat is correct about Lexus fitting Michelin's to the RCF. Seems they're using the Pilot Super Sports at the moment, which the PS4S replaced. If you can get a cheap set of Super Sports, go for them. I've run them before on a 350Z. They were amazing.

Pilot Super Sports are discontinued now. The PS4s have replaced them. I have just fitted them to my ISF and they are so much better than the OEM Bridgestones in everyway. Grip, noise and performance in the wet. I would never go back to Bridgestones.

• Like 1

Super sports available to buy but listed dearer than 4s so discounted them. They may come up as clearance at some point I suppose?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Super sports available to buy but listed dearer than 4s so discounted them. They may come up as clearance at some point I suppose?

Once they are gone they are gone which is why they are a bit more.

As far as I am aware the 4S is as good as Super Sport in dry but monsters it in wet hence the discontinued Super