Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All, I've just traded in my NX300 for an RC300h Fsport. I'd like to put some winter Tyres on my 19inch alloys. The only ones I can find are the Pirelli W270 - However the reviews on these are simply awful. Does anyone have any real world experience of these or know of an alternative Winter Tyre that will fit. I guess I have the option to buy a set of Winter Wheels and Tyres of a different size which might be the answer as it will save the salt attacking the alloys. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Best wishes to all Mixedgas.

Yay! Winter tyre thread!

I assume you've checked Blackcircles, MyTyres, Oponeo etc? All the usual suspects? Reviews shmoos. Do they explode if you go over 30 or burst into flames once the temperature rises? If the Pirellis are the right price then get them. They're winter tyres, they'll be fine.

Thanks Rich - but here's the problem

Pirelli put the W210 forward for the European winter tyre test and it was placed 9th out if 10 – oh dear! Worse still was the testers comments, “slight weakness on wet roads and in snow and ice”. Personally if I was investing in winter tyres, great traction in those same 3 areas would be very high up on my shopping list. I just can’t imagine how the manufacturers think this is acceptable, in their testing during development Pirelli must have realised that the tyre worked great in the cold, dry conditions but not so well in snow and rain! And someone high up at Pirelli must have passed this, its incredible really.

Unqte

Thats from in independent source - so to pay £1150 for 4 winter Tyres with that write up seems to make no sense to me.

Another option-

Hankook winter I cept evo2 for front and back:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/hankook/winter-i-cept-evo2-w320/235-40-r19-96v-742197

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/hankook/winter-i-cept-evo2-w320/265-35-r19-98w-750935

£1150!!! Who's given you that, flipping rip off that is. Even if you got these ordered and had Lexus fit them, they'd be £800 MAX

They also have rave reviews by the looks of it.

40 minutes ago, rayaans said:

£1150!!! Who's given you that, flipping rip off that is.

Agreed. My scepticism regarding the reviews aside, that price would automatically exclude them.

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Agreed. My scepticism regarding the reviews aside, that price would automatically exclude them.

£287.50 each fitted LOL

Thats Michelin PS4 money!

I've got the commercial version of the Hancock evo2 on my works Transit custom, put them on first of October to replace the previous Generation of Hancock commercial winters due to age, I keep them for five years irrespective of tread depth and switch them out in April for my Michelin summer commercials.

Ive found the Hancock good value for money, had all four supplied and fitted for £306.06, I can't comment on the passengers car version of the tyre performance wise, I've got Michelin winters on the IsF now great tyre but not cheap.

Big Rat

See if you can get Nokian in those sizes. Excellent winter tyres.

I find Oponeo to be the most user friendly site for searching by size, brand, vehicle, whatever. They can be the cheapest by quite a margin too but obviously take into account fitting.

I have just started my second winter with Pirelli Sottozero 3 (?-W270) tyres, and did 7200km with them last winter.  I bought them for

no other reason than they were the only readily available premium brand in the right sizes for the 19" alloys, paying exactly €1000 for the

set, fitted.  TBH I have never been too bothered about reviews of winter tyres from premium manufacturers, having had Continentals,

Michelins, Bridgestones and Goodyears as well as Pirellis in the past and found little to complain about any of them even in the worst

conditions.  Last winter was pretty mild, but the present generation of Sottozeros seemed perfectly good on icy patches and thin snow

and noticeably better in the wet than my summer Dunlop SportMaxxes.  Also, they show very little signs of wear, and, as is traditional

with the Pirelli brand, they look good.  If you can get them for an acceptable price, I would recommend them.

On 08/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, rich1068 said:

See if you can get Nokian in those sizes. Excellent winter tyres.

I find Oponeo to be the most user friendly site for searching by size, brand, vehicle, whatever. They can be the cheapest by quite a margin too but obviously take into account fitting.

Unfortunately, there is a Nokian available for the front tyres but there is no option for the rear tyres. 

The Hankook and Continentals appear to be the same ones front and back without costing £1000+