Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cheap IS-F

It's such a good deal on the warranty, IMO it's just not worth running without it and ruining the ownership experience due to a rare issue (bad luck). For example a broken motor on the electric seat will cost you £2600, plus the cost of transferring the leather cover onto the new seat. The AA package alone must be worth close to £300 over the 2 years. 

• Like 1

@Flytvr I though it comes with warranty from new anyway? Do you actually need extended warranty for new car?

As for 2008 performance car it always going to be good choice to be covered. As well talking about specific example above - it failed MOT twice for worn tires... it is beyond me how can you miss such thing. I understand advisory for wearing close to legal limit, but to miss that tires are worn to the cords means it probably had bit of hard life. 

1 minute ago, emjay82 said:

It's such a good deal on the warranty, IMO it's just not worth running without it and ruining the ownership experience due to a rare issue (bad luck). For example a broken motor on the electric seat will cost you £2600, plus the cost of transferring the leather cover onto the new seat. The AA package alone must be worth close to £300 over the 2 years. 

Agree.

Don't talk to me about seats however. It is well known that Lexus warranty won't pay out for seat issues. 

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

I though it comes wit h warranty from new anyway? 

As for 2008 performance car it always going to be good choice to be covered. As well talking about specific example above - it failed MOT twice for worn tires... it is beyond me how can you miss such thing. I understand advisory for wearing close to legal limit, but to miss that tires are worn to the cords means it probably had bit of hard life. 

Yes, not a great sign. I would like to think most of us are on top of tyre wear on a 400+ bhp car. Only excuse I guess would be the the IS-F is a devil for wearing the inside edges on the front tyres.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Agree.

Don't talk to me about seats however. It is well known that Lexus warranty won't pay out for seat issues. 

No they certainly don't pay out for seats....😉 

1 minute ago, Flytvr said:

Yes, not a great sign. I would like to think most of us are on top of tyre wear on a 400+ bhp car. Only excuse I guess would be the the IS-F is a devil for wearing the inside edges on the front tyres.

That is not IS-F only - I believe this is true for all IS mk2 due to the factory suspension alignment, both in front and in rear. However, that is not the case for car in question - both fails were for tire "worn to the cords" and not on the inner edges either. If that would have been inner edges they MOT would record something like - "fail - uneven tire wear, inner edges worn below the legal limit". What current MOT says is the entire tire was below legal limit... 

Yes so talking about going abroad.......... I had a call from a customer this morning....... I know it's Sunday morning......Paul about 15m of fencing have come down overnight....... please please. ....... I hate hearing a grown man cry....... well I did until he said we're going out to St Lucia on Wednesday can you repair today and complete by Wednesday for our 5 week break, and while we're away can you replace the remaining 95metres...........

Not to enthusiastic with so much on then these words starting coming into my head.......Rcf fund Rcf fund Rcf fund.............so this was my Sunday afternoon well you know boys can't do enough for a good customer........Rcf Rcf..........IMG_3501.thumb.JPG.19f139e4f905aec2392f69d2addedba2.JPG:whistling1:

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

Yes so talking about going abroad.......... I had a call from a customer this morning....... I know it's Sunday morning......Paul about 15m of fencing have come down overnight....... please please. ....... I hate hearing a grown man cry....... well I did until he said we're going out to St Lucia on Wednesday can you repair today and complete by Wednesday for our 5 week break, and while we're away can you replace the remaining 95metres...........

Not to enthusiastic with so much on then these words starting coming into my head.......Rcf fund Rcf fund Rcf fund.............so this was my Sunday afternoon well you know boys can't do enough for a good customer........Rcf Rcf..........IMG_3501.thumb.JPG.19f139e4f905aec2392f69d2addedba2.JPG:whistling1:

Multiple spelling mistakes in that post.

G S F

37 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

He doesn't talk to me anymore. Buggered off abroad!

I live in Buckinghamshire, it's known as the palm County.  Very mild compared to the weather you are having.... 🤔 

DSC_0939.thumb.JPG.3952c561263abaae10204961e8e7e490.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Agree.

Can you lot please stop posting so quickly? My inbox can't take it! :smile:

But seriously, Dav, as you know they do sometimes cover seat issues, like in my case.  Having said that, from the 5 warranty claims I have made, the fact that they agreed to change my seat still staggers me to this day.  My car was 9 years old and had over 130k miles on it when the claim went in, so if I was the claims assessor, I wouldn't have agreed to it!  What is even more strange is that there was no visible damage to my original one.

Perhaps you should have brought your car down to Lexus Reading.  As the service guy told me last time, the wording on the claim form makes a big difference on whether it will be accepted or not.

• Like 1

I guess there being no damage on your seat was positive factor e.g. if there would be visible damage it could amount to you having damaged it somehow and therefore not covered by warranty, now as there were no visible damage it was correct to assume it was faulty rather than damaged...

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

I guess there being no damage on your seat was positive factor e.g. if there would be visible damage it could amount to you having damaged it somehow and therefore not covered by warranty, now as there were no visible damage it was correct to assume it was faulty rather than damaged...

If only it was that simple

My point is that maybe it was a factor in this case... As for your case - what was the excuse for them not to cover seat? Is that somewhere in small print that seats are not covered, they not exactly wear and tear, disposable or service items?

36 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes and no.

If I had somehow managed to damage the seat, although I am not exactly sure how I would do that, then I agree it wouldn't be good.  However, the conclusion was that the spring must have been worn, which would suggest wear and tear.

I suppose it depends on your definition of faulty.  Are seats eventually meant to fail?  They do suffer some abuse from all the getting in and out (especially when you weight as much as I do), and you could argue that all springs will eventually loosen.  On the flip side, most people wouldn't consider a car seat a wear and tear item, at least not the frame anyway.  So I think it is a bit of a grey area.

From what I remember Dav, your car didn't have that many miles on it when the seat failed?  You would think your claim should have had a higher chance of success.

@ShahporShahpor I have a contribution to this thread and it's in defence of Lexus as you see @Flytvr really should be fessing up as to why his seat failed and I have documented evidence and here it is........ oh by the way he is the big unit demolishing the cake I have no idea who the little old man is stood next to him :whistling1:

IMG_2671.thumb.JPG.434f1dc48adf917f97cc1bc95bb041a1.JPG

Big Rat

Well, if you consider that large, then Lexus should definitely have denied my claim! :smile:

Perhaps the warranty company should have a weight-in before deciding if it is the seats fault or not? :smile:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

My point is that maybe it was a factor in this case... As for your case - what was the excuse for them not to cover seat? Is that somewhere in small print that seats are not covered, they not exactly wear and tear, disposable or service items?

Yes Shahpor is correct - only 47k on the clock. Seat was (still is) immaculate. 

Lexus warranty argued that seats fail from wear and tear. This view was confirmed by several dealers, one I will quote having said “Yes, Lexus warranty are funny about paying out for seats”.

I had to make two claims to Lexus warranty. One claim very successful, the other proved how hard nose warranty companies can be. I presume that the first  claim for a new steering rack was immediately sorted as there is a dangerous design fault with the ISF steering rack, Lexus were happy to pay out. A click seat - different matter.

I have seen many V8s running on no warranty (around isf ages) with a worrying list of common pdoblems but never had a issue. Personally if i had a german car id stick a warranty on it. Having a fair few Lexus/toyotas now i feel confident runnung my Lexus without one.. im not mad nor am i loaded. All i have is trust in what i bought.

They do very rarely to go wrong, so its a personal preference. I might one day decide i want a warrenty, who knows. Another thing i would say is £900 for 2year cover is a very very good price for a V8 performance car.

Hmmm. . .making me think again now lol

• Like 1