Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here's hoping that someone maybe able to help / advise.  I have a 2002 ls430, and a few days ago I had the Battery replaced under warranty (It as not holding a charge) at the Lexus dealers - so far so good, however a strange problem has arisen.  I can release the bonnet from inside the car without a problem but, it takes quite a few goes to press it locked shut.  I am just wondering if it is an electrical fault or a problem with the bonnet release cable.

Please be gentle as I am no good with the spanners,

Many thanks and best wishes,

Bob.

Here's hoping that someone maybe able to help / advise.  I have a 2002 ls430, and a few days ago I had the battery replaced under warranty (It as not holding a charge) at the Lexus dealers - so far so good, however a strange problem has arisen.  I can release the bonnet from inside the car without a problem but, it takes quite a few goes to press it locked shut.  I am just wondering if it is an electrical fault or a problem with the bonnet release cable.
Please be gentle as I am no good with the spanners,
Many thanks and best wishes,
Bob.
I had that problem last week. I kept messing with the bonnet pull as it didn't seem as though it had returned properly. A few goes of pulling and pushing and the bonnet clicked shut. I guess it might have snagged somehow

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

If you are never in the engine bay which I assume from your spanner comment ,the cable will get a bit sticky from lack of use with corrosion forming between the inner and outer cable there is no electrical solenoid as far as I know on the bonnet catch it is a mechanical catch that pivots on contact with the u-bar section on the bonnet this pivot mechanism can get a bit dry and requires a smidging of grease on it from time to time.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your kind reply.  I'll try what you did - I've already oiled the catch mechanism (thinking that the cold weather might have affected it).  I'll try what you suggest tomorrow, as its too dark to do anything at the moment.

Hi Bob,

I had the same problem on my 400. Although oiling the mechanism will work, it can take a while for the oil to work its way into the cable and lock mechanism. I found a way to get it to close first time, every time.

If you look at the lock mechanism, just forward of the radiator, you will see a cable which actually does the operation. The problem you have can be caused by one of two things: the sliding bit of the lock is jamming or (in my case) the cable was jamming in its sleeve. I poured penetrating oil into the cable at the lock mechanism end and, eventually, it operated normally. However, while I waited for that - it took a few days - I found that if I tugged on the cable, the inner part slid into the correct position and the bonnet closed straight away. 

I'm sorry I haven't got pictures to illustrate what I mean because I now drive a 460 but it was a very simple solution.

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your advice, and sorry for not replying sooner.   I will try what you suggest tomorrow (Monday), as at the moment we are having quite a lot of snow, nice to look at but in my dotage it is just too cold, not having a garage etc etc.

Best wishes,

Bob.

Was washing my 430 last week and checking the engine. Decided to WD40 the locking mechanism and the engine bonnet latch.

These are purely mechanical and better for it!

It is a pull, that releases the bonnet contact. One then manually releases the 'hook' which is the second line of defence. If ever you have seen an engine bonnet go up, it truly is scary, as the forward wind gets under the bonnet and 'rips' it up in the air and usually smashes into the windscreen.

My friend had a Renault that was jammed solid and not just sticky. The problem is the gubbings are in the very front where wind (dries it out), salt (corrosion) and muck all contribute to making it stick. The solution is a good wipe around with white spirt cleaning everything. Then grease all the hole mechanism and WD40 all round, including the bonnet hook spring, and shooting it up the cable, maybe a few times. Jiggle the lot and reapply.

If it locks up, then getting the bonnet open could be a nightmare. A grease up/WD40 ever 4-6 months should be fine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links