Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX350 Glove Compartment Query

David1412

Gentlemen, and Ladies too (if applicable).

I am contemplating the purchase of a Lexus RX 350 LE and the glove compartment does not open.  It has two keys, one grey and one black.  There is no manual, which may or may not be in the glove compartment, is it difficult to get open with a view to finding out why it appears not to work?  One key does turn in the lock but that's all.

The service history is not complete, but all advisories on each years failed MoT have been attended to and the last owner kept it for six years.  Mileage is mid 130K, is it likely to be viable or should I walk away?  It is being offered through a trader with a 12 month warranty, underwritten not the trader's warranty.

David

Edited by David1412
Punctuation mark omitted

• 1 month later...

Hi David1412,

You will find that one of the keys is a 'valet' key. The main key (black i think) allows you to safely store 'valuables' in the glove compartment while handing over your car to a parking attendant with the valet key. This is more aimed at the US market where valet parking is very common. However, it sounds like the lock may have gone. Perhaps you contact a local mechanic and ask how much it would cost repair this and discount it from the sale price.

You will find that Lexus is a very reliable car although for piece of mind a warranty may not be a bad idea.

Hope this helps!