Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's snowy out there - about 6-8 inches in places.

Even in my ( wife's ) RX with winter tyres, it was somewhat stressful.

But we got 'there' and we got back again.

:xmas:

I've just come back from collecting my son from hospital in 6-8 inches of snow.

no issues and was very enjoyable in fact with winter tyres fitted.

it was great moving around abandoned cars on the road.

I felt safe and being a responsible driver getting my family home 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

lots of snow here in Holland. and as usual the country comes to a standstill, trains get canceled, traffic moves with 15mph, traffic jam galore. How do they do that in Switzerland?

I thought it was only the UK that came to a standstill with a millimetre of snow!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grantwils said:

What tyres are you using PCM?

On my wife's car, they are Khumo Winters...

( On mine, Michelin HP Tours, which are Mud and Snow, but NOT winter as such. Sometimes described as all-season  ... more due to their tread pattern than composition, I suspect?

On 10/12/2017 at 3:02 PM, Jaystar77 said:

My first time driving a gen2 RX in the snow.  Anyone else nearly bin theirs into a hedge too? 

I was wondering what the rx400h is like in the snow. I agreed to buy a 2006 model (is that a gen2) last weekend and hope to collect it next weekend, but by then the snow will have gone.  

From what others have said, there is a snow setting?

I've driven mine in the snow a few years back fairly deep and found it superb with plenty of grip and stability, standard tyres aswell, maybe the extra weight of the hybrid batteries helped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lurch said:

I've driven mine in the snow a few years back fairly deep and found it superb with plenty of grip and stability, standard tyres aswell, maybe the extra weight of the hybrid batteries helped.

I know that they have 4WD capability so that the hybrid system can deliver traction as part of normal driving.  I wonder if the 4wd system activates when wheelspin is detected as well.  

I'm in a 350 Peter, with old mismatched tyres on it the sensation was predominantly RWD.  Very interesting in a big heavy jeep with no traction.  I made it to work and immediately had a new set of tyres fitted (Hankook Durapro) which has given me the confidence that the gentlemen above have enjoyed.  Totally put any scares I had down to the old tyres and my lack of driving ability.

Snow mode seems to adjust the throttle response and gear shift in relation to RPM.  When pressed it gives a reassuring feel of additional traction and stability, I believe that most Toyota models have this feature built into their electronic transmission control.  Even my automatic Starlet has it.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

The rx300 is a permanent 4 wheel drive system I believe. I was very impressed with my first winter in the Rx, mine has been fab in the snow the last week had no issues and haven’t got stuck yet. Bridgestone normal tyres on mine 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW the CT200h on Michelin Cross Climates was a good combination today. In eco mode the throttle is smooth enough to avoid any wheelspin on ice/snow except when I got home and had to turn the traction control off as the computer said no to ascending the final incline of my drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JeffL said:

What is the 3RX RX450H 2012 onwards facelift model like in snow (and ice for that matter)?

Fine in snow. Any car in ice is going to be problematic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

with winter tyres fitted you can drive perfectly in any snow, and you even get used to it if it stays there for a week or so. The super careful driving of the first day is replaced by some confidence.

Ice is a different matter altogether, best to abandon the car and go to the pub..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

It is odd people still ask about how a certain car is in snow. It's either terrible or brilliant depending on what sort of tyres are fitted. 

Yes, quite right. Will change to Michelin Cross Climate when due.

• Like 2