Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter tyres

First chance I have had to properly try out my 390H Fsport in deep snow & I have been surprised to find it performed flawlessly.

Was expecting to have to dig out my drive but decided to give it a go & it was fine, just noisy as the snow was being compacted.

Worked well even on a slope, makes a big difference & is still a good benifit in sub 7 degree temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi all.
This is good news indeed did you use the winter button on the dashboard and have you got winter tyres on the is300h.:wink3:
65mike
Yes did also make use of the snowflake button, think it just reduced throttle sensitivity, but it all helps, have always switched to winter tyres when I started driving rear wheel drive saloons again.

65mike I've started another thread on here which you may well have seen called IS winter wheels. I have an F sport running 18 inch wheels but have purchased a second set of 16 inch for winter, great in the Snow. The winter wheels are 205/55/16 I'm running good year ultra grip 9, amazing tyres 

65mike I've started another thread on here which you may well have seen called IS winter wheels. I have an F sport running 18 inch wheels but have purchased a second set of 16 inch for winter, great in the Snow. The winter wheels are 205/55/16 I'm running good year ultra grip 9, amazing tyres 
Have you got them set up with tpms sensors as a second set?

Tried to take my IS250 out today - abysmal in the snow, I got stuck right outside the drive in slush. The snow button did nothing.

Fortunately my wife has an X-Trail so I'll be using that for my work trip tomorrow.

Ill be on the lookout for a winter set for next year.

18 hours ago, Ben1001 said:

Tried to take my IS250 out today - abysmal in the snow, I got stuck right outside the drive in slush. The snow button did nothing.

Fortunately my wife has an X-Trail so I'll be using that for my work trip tomorrow.

Ill be on the lookout for a winter set for next year.

Off topic but what do you think of the X-Trail? As a family bus if that's what you use it for.

I'd be interested to hear too. Was thinking of one, having had a Cherokee in 94-00. Good basic vehicles that are USEFUL! The current X-trail looks a bit to Quash-however it's spelled!, but the boxy one looks right for a 4X4.

The X-Trail is almost identical to the Qashqai, we had a Qashqai to start with but we out grew it. The dash, steering etc are identical. I have two babies and a very large Rottweiler (120lb) and needed the extra boot space.

There aren't many non-premium cars of this size on the market and given we only do 4k per year and it gets wrecked I didn't want to go premium.

If you time it right you can negotiate Nissan down around 27% off list price, my wife's is an N-Connect which is middle of the range: 19" wheels and sat nav. We paid £21k. This is our third Nissan, we get a call about 18 months in to swap for a new one for the same monthly payment. Despite the huge discount the car is in negative equity - we owe £19k and it's worth about £17k. We can return it under PCP though in 18 months.

The pros of the car are:

Fuel economy - always 50+ mpg

Size - might be the lowest cost 7 seater out there(?) well maybe not be it's a low cost option.

Spec/Tech - the navigation and all round cameras are excellent, general spec is very high (power boot, folding mirrors)

Performance - for a 1.6 diesel 130 hp it has a lot of torque and I don't find it underpowered

Negatives:

Traction is not great with 19" wheels

Depreciation - need to be careful how you buy, lease costs are low and Discount levels depend on the time of year and demand

Serving is affordable (£220-£320) however they stopped the 3 year £299 service pack which was a great deal. Annual services is a bit of a pain but if you own a Lexus you're used to it.

I pay a consistent £300 a month for the family car (last 3 Nissan's) and I'd buy another X Trail - we treat it very poorly (dog/kids) and treat it as disposable, never had any issues with trade ins or doing a deal. I've looked at leasing and found the large deposit outweighs the monthly saving so it's also around £300 a month.

22 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

I'd be interested to hear too. Was thinking of one, having had a Cherokee in 94-00. Good basic vehicles that are USEFUL! The current X-trail looks a bit to Quash-however it's spelled!, but the boxy one looks right for a 4X4.

Reading below it seems Ben is referring to the new shape X-Trail but my dad had one of the old ones and he loved it. Proper 4x4 too. Nothing stopped it.

16 hours ago, Ben1001 said:

The X-Trail is almost identical to the Qashqai, we had a Qashqai to start with but we out grew it. The dash, steering etc are identical. I have two babies and a very large Rottweiler (120lb) and needed the extra boot space.

There aren't many non-premium cars of this size on the market and given we only do 4k per year and it gets wrecked I didn't want to go premium...

Cheers Ben. I'd be leasing through my business so depreciation doesn't matter as long as I can get a good enough CH deal. But good that you give it a positive review. Looking at one of these or the Kodiaq vs. the usual Galaxy/S-Max/Sharan type stuff.

Yes, 4X4s should look like ......Land Rovers? The infamous chelsea tractor' scenario means that a lot are just glorified people carriers (which is what I thought a car WAS!)

One imagines that the current X-trail wouldn't last long in Saudi.

But then, I recall being up a mountain track in Pyrenees, in my Cherokee, feeling slightly intrepid to have lurched up there. We heard an engine coming zooming up the track; then see a Citroen Dyane van flying up the track, delivering bread! Softee tourists!

• Haha 1

To be honest I always perceived my dad's MK1 X-Trail as a bit of a soft roader but then I noticed that Nissan used to put it with their Pathfinder in terms of marketing and then one winter we had truly atrocious snow and I borrowed it to ferry staff around. It was amazing.

In the absence of smilies or other clues should I assume your comment is tongue in cheek? Based on the 7+ separate but virtually identical winter tyre threads started in the last few weeks I'd say you're mistaken.

:tongue:

What WAS the topic? Must be all the Xmas booze fuddling folk. I am even known to post Citroen reminicences......I claim age on my part!

Seasoned greetings ...LEXUS!!....folk. (-:

even though I no longer own one.......

• Like 1