Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another headlights on, with a scent

Lucazade

Well, it's a burning smell rather than a scent.

Windscreen replaced 11 months ago. Yesterday the lights wouldn't turn off with the key removed, regardless of auto mode on or off.

Replaced the Battery as it went flat overnight, and lights back on the moment it's wired in. Went for a a drive and a couple of miles down the road I started smelling plastic burning, so turned back home. On the way home, the lights turned themselves off, including high beam! Actually, high beam would work but only when flashing.

I'm now tempted to replace the anti theft module, as it's a cheap fix if it works and I presume it's simply a swap for another unit (please say so). However I'm bothered by the burnt plastic smell. Also, why did it short?

There's no water or sign of humidity inside the car or in the engine bay.

10 hours ago, Zotto said:

Short circuit on light relay, my suggestion is to find the fuse of lights and take it off then run to repair the trouble ASAP.

All fuses are fine. The light relay is fine too. There's still a slight smell of burnt plastic inside the vehicle but it was too cold and dark when I got home tonight to check the inside.

I have a strong suspicion that the fault is with the anti theft module, so I'll be looking at it tomorrow.

If the lights are the problem, why are you 'suspecting' the anti-theft module? Do you have any experience of electrical fault-finding? Do you have the necessary tools and test gear or at the very least, a multimeter?

There are plenty of Youtube videos showing the correct techniques so there's no point in 'reinventing the wheel' and going through it here, but one thing I will say is that you can't just pick a random item and think "it must be that". You have to take a methodical, step-by-step approach to testing and fault location, otherwise it'll eat up a lot of time and perhaps even money too, if you start throwing new parts at it until the right one gets changed.

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

If the lights are the problem, why are you 'suspecting' the anti-theft module? Do you have any experience of electrical fault-finding? Do you have the necessary tools and test gear or at the very least, a multimeter?

There are plenty of Youtube videos showing the correct techniques so there's no point in 'reinventing the wheel' and going through it here, but one thing I will say is that you can't just pick a random item and think "it must be that". You have to take a methodical, step-by-step approach to testing and fault location, otherwise it'll eat up a lot of time and perhaps even money too, if you start throwing new parts at it until the right one gets changed.

I'm certainly not pretending to know what the problem is at this stage, but in a thread in this forum a few people identified the problem in the anti theft module. Since I smelt burnt plastic inside the car, it seemed daft not to inspect it at least for visible damage,

I know that finding a broken part doesn't mean that'd be the root of the problem.

I do have a multimeter, by the way. And a Diaglink MD802 (which sadly doesn't support the IS200).