Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low gears in freezing conditions.

Hi everyone, yesterday evening and this morining 250 would reluctantly only move into higher gears when I used more acceleration. It wanted to stay in the low gears. I phone lexus and one of the engineers said when it's freezing weather like this the engine will want to stay in the lower gears for longer until the engine warms up a bit. Can anyone give me some advice please. Thanks in advance. John.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Seems a reasonable explanation to me. Keep the revs up to warm up more quickly. Certainly how it was in my Mercs, both held low gears until engine and perhaps more importantly the CATs had warmed up.

Did you notice 'normal' or expected operation resumed once your engine had warmed up?

• Like 1

Seems a reasonable explanation to me. Keep the revs up to warm up more quickly. Certainly how it was in my Mercs, both held low gears until engine and perhaps more importantly the CATs had warmed up.
Did you notice 'normal' or expected operation resumed once your engine had warmed up?

It went back normal, but when I first drive off the car was reluctant to go over 30 unless I used more gas. Would you use higher revs when it's cold then to warm it up quicker.

Yes, of course in an automatic one has no real choice, the car will follow it's programming. 

I'd imagine labouring a cold engine by operating at low revs would be more 'damaging' and in the long run, more inefficient. Which would be why the manufacturer's have programmed the transmission as they have...

Yes, of course in an automatic one has no real choice, the car will follow it's programming. 
I'd imagine labouring a cold engine by operating at low revs would be more 'damaging' and in the long run, more inefficient. Which would be why the manufacturer's have programmed the transmission as they have...

This has only happened in the last 2 days when it's been the coldest I can remember. The wing mirrors and doors wouldn't open either. So would it be best to give a bit more of a kick on the gas then when it's freezing like this. Or would this cause other problems long term. It's only had the plugs and service done 4 weeks ago and has been running beautifully.

Drive to the condition, a "bit more of a kick on the gas" might so you loose traction...

As there are no warning messages/icons on the dash I would just let the car do it's thing and drive normally

Drive to the condition, a "bit more of a kick on the gas" might so you loose traction...

As there are no warning messages/icons on the dash I would just let the car do it's thing and drive normally

There are no warning signs on the dash. So I'll take your advice and drive normally, and see how I get on. Thanks for your help [emoji1360]

My is250 2012 would not select 6th until after the first few miles even on warmer days. 
It is the car looking after itself - let it.

The thing what worried me more than the gear changes, was when the speedo wouldn't go past 30 unless I applied more gas than usual.

7 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

The thing what worried me more than the gear changes, was when the speedo wouldn't go past 30 unless I applied more gas than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold air needs more fuel for the correct mixture. Maybe something not quite right there? If you're worried pop it to a dealer for a test. I missed that aspect of the discussion.

It is supposed to be warmer towards end of week so if the problem goes away you will know it is related to cold weather, helping with a diagnosis.

Cold air needs more fuel for the correct mixture. Maybe something not quite right there? If you're worried pop it to a dealer for a test. I missed that aspect of the discussion.
It is supposed to be warmer towards end of week so if the problem goes away you will know it is related to cold weather, helping with a diagnosis.

Thanks for your help. The guy from Lexus said bring it next week if the problem continues. Hopefully it's just the cold weather. [emoji1360]

Most if not all of the Aisin transmissions fitted to Lexus vehicles will not shift into higher gears until the transmission fluid has reached normal operating temperature, there is even a transmission coolant temperature sensor fitted to ensure this happens.

The reason is to avoid damage to the transmission.

• Like 1

Agreed with other members

Your gearbox will not get up to 6th gear until the engines warmed up - to see this yourself select the gear selection screen on the dash and take it for a drive in the morning and you will see for 3 or 4 miles or so it will remain in 5th gear. Obviously the cold weather will affect the time it takes to warm up.

Its important to keep your coolant changes up to date also as this cools the gearbox. The temp sensor for the gearbox is, I believe, on the upper side of the box and some can be affected by condensation, coupled together with the freezing weather then it may explain why its taking a while to get to speed but if at fault there will be an error thrown up. Its not normal to only get to 30. I would put a code reader on it just to see if there are any stored codes.

The dash board Christmas tree lights on mine came on last week in the snow and it was the MAF sensor that needed cleaning so it is more than likely weather related as it has been cold but I would get your codes read...

• Like 1

Most if not all of the Aisin transmissions fitted to Lexus vehicles will not shift into higher gears until the transmission fluid has reached normal operating temperature, there is even a transmission coolant temperature sensor fitted to ensure this happens.
The reason is to avoid damage to the transmission.

It seemed a lot better driving it home tonight as it was a bit warmer. It was back to normal. I'd be gutted if was something worse. I love the car.

Agreed with other members
Your gearbox will not get up to 6th gear until the engines warmed up - to see this yourself select the gear selection screen on the dash and take it for a drive in the morning and you will see for 3 or 4 miles or so it will remain in 5th gear. Obviously the cold weather will affect the time it takes to warm up.
Its important to keep your coolant changes up to date also as this cools the gearbox. The temp sensor for the gearbox is, I believe, on the upper side of the box and some can be affected by condensation, coupled together with the freezing weather then it may explain why its taking a while to get to speed but if at fault there will be an error thrown up. Its not normal to only get to 30. I would put a code reader on it just to see if there are any stored codes.
The dash board Christmas tree lights on mine came on last week in the snow and it was the MAF sensor that needed cleaning so it is more than likely weather related as it has been cold but I would get your codes read...

It wouldn't go above 4th yesterday morning and only 3rd this morning unless I pressed on the gas harder than usual. But when it was warmed up a bit it was a lot better. Then tonight on the drive home it was back to normal. So it looks like a cold weather scenario. Fingers crossed. But the mechanic from Lexus said give it a week to see how it goes. He said similar things to you guys on here. He said its normal for the engine to stay in lower gears for longer when it's freezing like this. Here's a picture of the car

Very interesting thread. Would this apply to my first gen IS too do you think? A couple of times over the last week it's felt as if the throttle/gearbox were holding back but after a few minutes driving the sensation disappears. I thought I was imagining it. It's not that I was trying to thrash the thing from cold, it was more when you've done a manoeuvre or driven a stretch of road a hundred times and you expect the car to behave a certain way and it doesn't.

Very interesting thread. Would this apply to my first gen IS too do you think? A couple of times over the last week it's felt as if the throttle/gearbox were holding back but after a few minutes driving the sensation disappears. I thought I was imagining it. It's not that I was trying to thrash the thing from cold, it was more when you've done a manoeuvre or driven a stretch of road a hundred times and you expect the car to behave a certain way and it doesn't.

I'd say after the information I've gathered up to now from Lexus engineer and the lads on here is that the engine will stay in the lower gears for longer when it's freezing like it was on min/tue. This is to the let the transmission flip warm up and the engine before going into the higher. Basically it's the car protecting the engine and transmission from damage. Mines been back to normal last night and this morning as of the milder weather

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links