@ continuation sheet
This phenomenon seems to be tyre dependant. My car does it with michelin PSS fitted, but not with the winter tyres it has now, or with my previous set of summer tyres (Hankooks).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Couldn't believe this topic appeared as I had been thinking of mentioning it myself. I have experienced this previously on my current GS300 (2007) and many years ago when I had several Volvo 940/960s which had fantastic turning circles. My current GS300 has Goodyear Efficiency Grip Performance 225/50 R17 W (98), 4 new tyres fitted at mileage 59,385. Current mileage is just over 65,000 and I've noticed this problem over the last few weeks so would agree that cold weather might have something to do with it. It is a similar noise to that heard on the Mercedes video above kindly upload by NemesisUK and I would described it as feeling like the tyres are sticking and the jumping. So it appears to be what he/she is experiencing i.e. the comment below. I get it mainly when reversing off my drive at full lock but the other day got it moving forward on full lock in a car park when the weather was extremely cold.

On 14/12/2017 at 1:50 PM, NemesisUK said:

Most of the movement is in the tyre itself. Flexing then snapping back, which what one tends to hear and feel.

So that's Lexus, Merc and now Volvo do it. John is gonna be busy redesigning all these systems. 

17 minutes ago, Comedian said:

So that's Lexus, Merc and now Volvo do it. John is gonna be busy redesigning all these systems. 

Compression, combustion & ignition are my thing, wouldn't know where to start with suspension geometry.

This morning was the coldest we've had down here this year and it juddered when I drove forward after reversing off the drive. That's a first so it definitely seems to be temperature related. When I get home this evening I'm going to reverse off the drive straight after I've parked on it to see if it happens then. The tyres should be warm by then. It does seem odd though that manufactures think it's acceptable. It really does feel as if some damage is going on down there when it happens. Surely the vibrations can't be good for the suspension components?

The unavoidable physics of wide low profile tyres.

Unless you want the turning circle of an oil tanker!

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The unavoidable physics of wide low profile tyres.

Yes, I can understand the wider the tyre the greater the problem. Gee, am I glad I don't have a Lamborghini!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Yes, I can understand the wider the tyre the greater the problem. Gee, am I glad I don't have a Lamborghini!

No your not, not really 😜

• Like 1

My IS250 used to do it at my old house which required full lock to reverse off the drive, as I went across the pavement and onto the road itself. It was worse the quicker I did it. Rolling backward very slowly eliminated it.Being RWD there is a lot of angle available on the front wheels and you literally drag one of them across the surface if you go too quickly. When doing the turn which causes it, do it as slow as possible, especially at or near full lock.

The juddering is entirley normal and worse in cold temps. I've experienced it in Mercedes, Audi and Subaru and my daughters Yaris does it as well. Winter tyres help as they are a softer compund.

Yep as mentioned completely and utterly normal.

I've got it on my 4RX. It skips when reversing at low speed no matter what the weather. I've been told tyres make a difference but it won't fully go away. 

It's particularly worse on vehicles with a hefty rear tyres or long wheelbases.

The last Porsche 911 I drove did it, as did a few Mercs and BMWs with wide tyres round back. The 911 was particularly bad. I swear it barely turned whilst reversing and actually skipped for a few cms.

It's basically due to the front wanting to go straight rather than turning when reversing. There's also less contact patch on the tyres when turned. 

• Like 1

My RX does it when driving forwards off my drive every morning.  I enter a narrow lane and I'm on full lock.  Only appears to do it from cold, if I return home then go out again it doesn't judder.  Manoeuvring on the drive is ok as it's gravel.

• Like 1