Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

tracker

bvhout

Hi,

Today, when at the Lexus dealer to finalize the purchase of the LC 500 (handing over the form for my number plate) I was asked whether I wanted a tracker installed. 

I remembered watching this video last week:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/mercedes-car-stolen-without-using-key-seconds-relay-theft/

And I thought, yes I should have that. 

Now, a bit later and at home I'm thinking: What if the people from tracker posted this video? 

Or have I seen too many movies about conspiracies? 

Yours

Ben

A tracker won't stop your car from being stolen and can easily be disabled unless one has purchased the very top spec unit. It may help in it's recovery.

The question I would ask myself is, would i want the car back should it be stolen? What damage may have been inflicted?

Some insurers may require a tracker be fitted. Some lease companies may also require it to be fitted.

Personally I would not bother unless forced to.

I had a Tracker fitted as standard on my Aston DB9. It cost £150+ per year to monitor and was only required by my insurers when the car was new. I eventually dropped the monitoring. It also caused a parasitic load on the car electrics meaning that the Battery would be flat in about 20 days parked up.

I would not bother unless you have insurance problems.

BTW, let us know how you get on with your new toy. :yes:

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 6:14 PM, bvhout said:

Hi,

Today, when at the Lexus dealer to finalize the purchase of the LC 500 (handing over the form for my number plate) I was asked whether I wanted a tracker installed. 

I remembered watching this video last week:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/mercedes-car-stolen-without-using-key-seconds-relay-theft/

And I thought, yes I should have that. 

Now, a bit later and at home I'm thinking: What if the people from tracker posted this video? 

Or have I seen too many movies about conspiracies? 

Yours

Ben

Get yourself a couple of thees Ben

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Key-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Faraday-Bag-Version-for-Phone/232535957664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

I got a tracker fitted to my previous RX as the then current insurer wouldn't insure otherwise. It brought my inaurance down by £200 in first year compared to cheapest without and £100 year on year. Paid for itself in 5 years as I got the lifetime subscription which is about £100 more than 3 year subscription.

Chances of an LC getting nicked is slim though. Not much demand. Id be more wary if I had a 911 Turbo or Audi R8/Huracan

I've got a tracker fitted but not sure whether to get the subscription. Should phone up and ask how much but I thought it was about 150 a year

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

On 16/12/2017 at 7:46 PM, Comedian said:

I've got a tracker fitted but not sure whether to get the subscription. Should phone up and ask how much but I thought it was about 150 a year

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I bought the lifetime one so didn't pay £150 per year. I paid about £300 for the subscription from tracker and £299 for the unit and fitting at Lexus Stockport

I was forced to get it through insurance though but didn't bother with the new one