Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having decided on Avon ZX7 tyres for my LS 400, I just noticed the speed rating which is H or up to 130 mph. Can I assume that these are unsuitable, even though I will never exceed 130, as my car's top speed is 155?

Aren't these tyres designed for SUV and 4x4 vehicles?

One shouldn't fit tyres of lower speed rating than originally specified for the car. Exception is for winter tyres. Check with the recommended fitments shown in your handbook.

Personally I would be looking for a different tyre with the correct rating.

I thought the same thing, yet they come in non SUV sizes. I know as pah fitted some to his Skoda last week.

He seems to rate them already. They were flippin' cheap too.

8 hours ago, Farqui said:

I thought the same thing, yet they come in non SUV sizes. I know as pah fitted some to his Skoda last week.

He seems to rate them already. They were flippin' cheap too.

I've had them on my RX300 for over a year now and I can honestly say they are excellent, they perform very, very well and really are great value for money.

I may as well show my ignorance in such matters though because I'd like to know - what difference does it actually make? Is it 'wrong' to put tyres "designed for SUV and 4x4 vehicles" on a standard car? My reasoning would be that if they are good for the size and weight of an SUV then they must also be good for a car - is that not so?

• Like 1

Road noise higher on these? This IS the quietest car in the world!

Costco won't fit a tyre if it is less in mph terms.

Life was easier with old Citroen. You fitted Michelins, specially designed for the car!

I recall the DS 23 handbook telling you that, if you fitted the lesser of the 2 choices, 'do not cruise (Cruise!) at speeds exceeding 100 mph'!!!

Roads weren't so crowded.

ds garden.bmp

12 hours ago, dendonc said:

what made you think of them if they are SUV tyres?

I would imagine that most people don't know they are SUV tyres if they are available in 'non-SUV' sizes. On my previous cars, I've just plugged the tyre size into a website and it comes back with a selection of available brands, from which I make my choice. If the website didn't specifically state that they are designed for SUVs, I wouldn't know.

I'd seen positive reviews for these tyres by owners, and they weren't fitted to SUVs. I had no idea that was their intended use, I've been more focused on trying to decide on an alternative size for my DHP 17" wheels

6 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I would imagine that most people don't know they are SUV tyres if they are available in 'non-SUV' sizes

It might be that it's nothing more than 'sales talk' which attracts SUV drivers with the implications, never loose sight of the fact all manufacturers of everything are in for the money, we're just punters.

H tyres at 130mph is surely more than enough for all UK cars. In fact, I suspect these probably have a safety margin that lets them do maybe 160mph.

The only problem might be insurance. The cars tyres have a specification 'from the factory'. This is not it, it is inferior. A really picky insurance company might pick up on that.

The speed tyre rating is saying the tyre should sustain that speed for 10 minutes. (I assume after that it overheats, possibly)

The RAC do say using lower ratings may impact insurance, so as Michael says a picky company may take a negative stance even if you were only doing 30mph.

I'm running Nexen nBlue (V rating), and they are pretty good tyres, not quite as quite as Dunlops on some of the rubbish roads, but on your average bit or tarmac pretty darned good, and fair grip and really long life (up tp 20,000) and probably just over half way through, and some of the roads round here are pretty rubbish.

I assume for a track day (not my thing) they would not hold out about 149mph

12 hours ago, MLW said:

In fact, I suspect these probably have a safety margin that lets them do maybe 160mph.

Some truth there - the koenisegg Aguera RS hit ~280mph on Y rated Michelin tyres (186mph limit)

https://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-agera-rs-achieves-multiple-production-car-world-speed-records/

4 hours ago, cornershop said:

Some truth there - the koenisegg Aguera RS hit ~280mph on Y rated Michelin tyres (186mph limit)

https://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-agera-rs-achieves-multiple-production-car-world-speed-records/

Another M4 maniac?

I thought I would add this link as so far it is about the best value for winter tyres by a reputable manufacturer, really intended for those who might travell to germany or austria.......225/60/r16

dunlop.......£ / pc. 99

Read more: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/dunlop-sp-winter-sport-3d
The content above is the exclusive property of Oponeo.co.uk Ltd.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/dunlop-sp-winter-sport-3d