Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thoughts on Grand Tour 2 so far?

Flytvr

I cannot say it is any different when it decides to enable HD for me, however my HD is 1080p and not UHD and sometimes I cannot even turn it on.

I don't like that amazon doesn't let you to actually choose the quality manually, but kind of tries to automatically set-it and often gets it wrong. So I have the fastest internet there is, but sometimes amazon set junk quality for me (I guess my internet speed goes of their scales and confuses the system). Closing and restarting browser sometimes helps, but it is kind of annoying. 

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

How do you get to load it in UHD? All I can get is 1080p even though I have chosen "best quality" in options and I have 1gbps internet... 

Could it be latency? Have to you tried pinging amazon? Have to got any QoS services running and can you prioritise video?

Do you have 4k equipment? 

Ping is 1ms, my equipment (well that is screen basically) is actually 1440p (3440x1440 or QHD to be precise), not 2160p (UHD)... but my point is that it would be better if I can manually choose what resolution I want. The quality is fine even on 1080p, the problem is that sometimes HD symbol becomes grey and it goes totally junk for no reason e.g. on youtube I can choose whatever resolution I want and it loads without any problems even on UHD which is beyond what my screen can show. Basically, it means internet is not a problem. Maybe amazon simply don't have option for 1440p and it is either 1080p or 2160p... which again would be fine as long as I can just set-it at 1080p and keep it that way.

Your internet speed is almost irrelevant it's so fast. Something else will be the problem, I was struggling with motogp live stream dropping quality on BT Infinity 2. I upgraded my media box from celeron to i5 and now it rarely drops out. Assume your are on cat 5 or 6 and not wifi?

Quality controls or lack thereof are annoying - you tube seem to have this nailed and Netflix is pretty good. I do notice amazon and Google Play not as quick to react as other 2. NOW TV is awful.

I have 1080P as can't afford the 4k upgrade just yet for how I watch.

No you need to have amazon Prime, or you can buy it on amazon and watch it on Prime... But if you ever use Amazon it is no-brainer not to get prime access and just get Grand Tour as a freebie in addition with free express postage and so on. 

So, if I get amazon prime does it then appear on the Sky planner like BT does?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

How do you get to load it in UHD? All I can get is 1080p even though I have chosen "best quality" in options and I have 1gbps internet... 

There is a specific UHD version you need to find. If you just select the main HD version it doesn't automatically detect you have 4k capabilities and switch to it.

If you don't have a 4k device with a built-in amazon app you won't see the UHD content.

• Like 1

@stevet I doubt, it is amazon service.

@ColinBarber - when you say built in "amazon app" I guess you have it on something like "smart" TV? I guess then it doesn't apply for me as I am watching it via PC.

@Comedian - The installation from internet provider comes as cat5e, from socket to the router and from router to the PC I use cat7 just because flat cables looks cool... even wi-fi should be ok as I have upgraded provided router with the one providing 2x750mbps connection (on provided router it was up to 80-90mbps over wi-fi max). As for PC itself... it is a bit old but I bought it for gaming long time ago... still i7, loads of rams and several video cards.. should not be the problem - I guess answer is above from Colin - you need dedicated app to set UHD.

Anyway looking forward for episode 3 now :yes:

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

@ColinBarber - when you say built in "amazon app" I guess you have it on something like "smart" TV? I guess then it doesn't apply for me as I am watching it via PC.

Yes, I'm using the built-in app on my LG TV. Unfortunately amazon don't offer 4k to computers yet. Netflix do but have some very restrictive requirements, i.e. Windows 10 Anniversary (needed for copy protection) and a 7th Gen Intel CPU or Nvidia 10x0 graphics card.

Watched 5 minutes of series one when it first came out and I've not had the urge to return to it. To be honest I really don't know what I was thinking as I'd long given up on Top Gear. Why I thought the three of them would be sufferable on a different channel I have no idea. I could probably just about watch something with James May in without removing my eyes with spoons but the other two? Not a chance. I have real trouble deciding which one of them I find most objectionable. I mean real trouble, as in I'll give it serious thought for quite some time before concluding that I really can't choose between them. 

• Like 1

Watched all of series 1 twice over. Haven't watched any of series 2 yet. I finished work today for the Christmas break so I'm looking forward to catching up on series 2. Just been busy at work and too many other things to watch and do. Happily, all the Christmas shopping is also done

So ... how is EP3... my though that Kia will be bargain of the century in 3 years time... Clarkson crossing many red light in Italy and... There is one weird thing - did you realise they always stand a girl (or say nice lady) behind Clarkson in studio.. It is definitely not coincidence, but I have no clue what is the reason behind it a.k.a. lady in second plan of him.

Finally, that celebrity nonsense it such a waste of time - I would rather give more time for them to talk bo**** in their conversation street for few minutes. Like in old TG times whne they were discussing more serious topics in more details ... like that speed cameras had completely no effect of road deaths and that government doesn't even spend 3rd of motoring taxes on the roads.. anyway... Great fun.. made me laughs several times.. 

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, stevet said:

So, if I get Amazon prime does it then appear on the Sky planner like BT does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, it is a dedicated amazon service.  As far as I am aware, there are 3 ways to access Prime video - from a computer, a built in app on your tv (if available), or with an amazon Fire stick or Fire TV.

See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW?ie=UTF8&tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=224385023008&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=817050420235069975&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006629&hvtargid=kwd-93083334562&ref=pd_sl_5a451lrvs7_e

@Linas.P is also right that it shouldn't matter if it is on wifi or wired as the bandwidth and latency requirements are relatively low.  Although, Linas, Cat7 actually refers to the fact that the twisted pairs are individually shielded for better crosstalk control, rather than the flatness. :smile:  As for the PC, again, pretty much anything modern will cope easily with the demands.  For example, my streaming PC uses the built-in graphics capability of my Intel Pentium G4560 processor to output via HDMI in 4K.

In regard to the background viewing behind Clarkson, it is definitely not a coincidence :smile:  Something for the predominately male audience to look at.  You have obviously not been paying attention because not only have they been doing it since the beginning of the Grand Tour, but during the old Top Gear as well, although in that case it was behind Hammond. 

• Like 1

When you mentioned it, now I definitely remember this in Top Gear... however during that time it was kind of ok... Obviously, they made better looking female to be in front so that they can ask some question or something.. or when they say something "sexual" everyone going to see her laughing or other impression. But now it is clearly every time over Clarkson's left shoulder in exactly same place.. 

As for cable I said... "only because flats looks cool"... internet comes as cat5e so there are not improvement for me to use cat 7 internally. 

I thought it was both Clarkson's shoulders :smile:

For the old Top Gear, it was always behind Hammonds right shoulder, but sometimes behind Clarkson too, when he ask them something.  I have read accounts of people who have attended tapings that state the ladies are hand picked and placed by the crew before filming starts.

As for the cable, I was just pointing out that you can also get flat cables in Cat5 and there is no advantage to running Cat7 in a home, as you have said.  But I can see what you mean if you bought the cable because it was flat rather than the shielding it uses. :smile:

Just now, Comedian said:

Un-Interesting non review of kia stinger. The 'challenges' are old hat. Fastforward the celeb bit.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

The celeb bit has to go. I’ve skipped every single one.

If they had pro-drivers doing laps round a proper track, then I’d be interested.

They introduced the new pro, forgetting to name her, then haven't really used her. It's a mess. But I'm sure their laughing all the way to the bank. Can't help feeling the format has run its course though. I think Clarkson can be quite funny and may is reasonably interesting when allowed. Hammond I would not miss.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wish they had done a proper review of the Stinger rather than that pointless race.

Also, speaking of pointless, the lunch time car park race wasn't great either.

I liked the Bugatti segment though.

Strange.. I found lunch time race "sort of" on the point... kind of parody of all "anti-car" culture nowadays. Obviously it was silly, but it was kind of perspective of what would it be if petrolheads would run the world.

I find presents to Hammond quite funny, watch on fire obviously silly, but "slot-car" reference was on the point. I am starting to think that crashing RIMAC was a stunt... I know conspiracy theory... but think about it... Great advertisment for RIMAC, loads of way to related during entire GT show, it was last run of the day, miraculously there were not a single camera inside or outside of the cars (when otherwise there are at least 8 cameras) etc. And ok.. cameras might have broken in the crash and fire, but memory cards are nearly indestructible, especially the ones in GoPros with waterproof case - where is that footage?! I know it is crazy to think that, but still fascinating.. 

And agree re: new racing driver why nobody gave her Stinger (if not Bugatti) instead of theta pointless (not really) celebrity bit...