Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help with flasher adjustment please

Some time ago there was a thread created about adjusting the flashers from three flashes to seven on the IS300h

Firstly, I can't remember if it was in this particular section of the forum or, if it might have been in the electronics section. .  I have tried searching but haven't found it yet.

Secondly, does anyone know if it will work on the NX.

Can anyone remember it or knows how to do it please?

20 minutes ago, S88HON said:

I've only adjusted it Via the Carista app matey. However there could be a 'hack' to do this incar. For the life of me I cannot see it in the standard menus...

Andrew, I remember reading the thread and I actually adjusted the flashers on my IS300h from the standard three flashes to seven.  Someone very kindly posted the instructions but I just can't find the thread.  I seem to recall that there were some funny bits of fiddling to do, possibly with turning the lights on at the same time.

Hopefully someone will remember it all.

Do you mean this Geoff? sounds like rubbing your stomach and patting your head lol

.) Ignition off, doors closed
2.) Hold the wiper switch in the full up position. (this is the wiper off position)
3.) While holding the wiper switch in the full up position, turn the IG on. (two presses of the start/stop switch)
4.) Hold wiper switch in the full up position for 5 seconds
5.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch", hold for 5 seconds
6.) Move the wiper switch back to the full up position, hold for 5 seconds
7.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch". hold for 5 seconds (same position as step 5)
8.) Move the wiper switch back to the rest position (neutral)

If this was done correctly, the right turn signal will flash once.

To adjust how many flashes you want, you change the intermittent wiper speed switch. P1 starts with the speed switch all the way at the bottom, P4 will be the top speed. This is found on the wiper stalk.

P1: 3 blinks
P2: 5 blinks
P3: 7 blinks
P4: Function turned off

Set the intermittent wiper speed to the desired setting.

Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate

If the turn signal blinks once, you change it to the "3 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks twice, you changed it to the "5 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks three times, you changed it to the "7 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks four times, you turned the function off.

Once this is done, cycle the ignition switch off, and back on, and it should be changed.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, matt8 said:

So what do we prefer? 5 or 7?

I think more than 3 is good, but 7 too many. I'll probably set mine to 5.

What have you all changed yours to? 

Mine's set to 7 which I think is perfect for motorway use and for lane changes at roundabouts. I tried 5 but if often stopped before I had chance to finish the manoeuvre. Cannot understand why 3 is the default. Finishes before even starting the manoeuvre. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this doesn't work in the NX.  Whilst holding the wiper arm in the fully raised position the wipers are going all of the time and only stop when I release it back to its holding position.

There must be another procedure for the NX methinks.

While on the topic of indicators, I wonder if there's any way of getting rid of one of the very few niggles I have about the IS300h. The problem is that the indicators turn off when going round a roundabout before I've completed the manoeuvre. 

Here's what happens. I'm approaching a roundabout where four roads join. I want to leave at the third exit, effectively turning right. As I approach the roundabout I turn on the right indicator to show I'm going all the way round to the third exit. But as I enter the roundabout and turn the front wheels to the left to enter the roundabout, the indicators cancel. If I want the indicators to continue as I go all the way round the roundabout I have to turn them on again. 

When I get past the second exit, I switch to the left indicators. But my wheels are now pointing to the right as I drive round the roundabout. If I'm lucky the indicators won't turn off but I have a feeling that in some circumstances, the left indicators are cancelled a second time by the rightward turned front wheels.

This is irritating. I don't think I've encountered it on mechanically operated indicator cancellation on other cars.

Is there any way it can be adjusted?

Well I just sat in the car and followed the video move for move and it worked exactly as described, the 3 flashes have been annoying me since I bought the car in March and I was going to have it changed by the dealer when the cars in for service in February. Happy days and thanks for the info. 👏

I find the cancelling of the indicators at roundabouts a little annoying too, but once you're aware it happens you lookout for it happening.

For those who are struggling, I took a few goes before it worked, I think the 5 seconds is the biggest thing people don't achieve.

Also, the 'first click' is the position that gives you the normal 3 flashes rather than constant flashing.

Oh, and my choice was 5 flashes.

Vince 

Now isn' it interesting what you find on a forum. The default 3 signal is standard wirh just about all manufacturers but it' good that it can be changed. 5 sounds good to me and I'll have a play soon.

As for the indicators going off after you've turned your wheel. It's supposed to happen like that otherwise they'd never cancel till you did it. Try a different turn angle with your steering wheel so you miss the detant that cancels the signal.

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

As for the indicators going off after you've turned your wheel. It's supposed to happen like that otherwise they'd never cancel till you did it.

What happens on most other cars is that if you're indicating right and you turn the wheel from centre to the left (like when you enter a roundabout) it doesn't cancel. You often hear a mechanical click as you turn the wheel past some cog. Then when you actually make the right turn, turning the wheels to the right, the indicator is cancelled when you turn the wheels back from pointing to the right to pointing straight ahead. I can't remember any other car that doesn't do that.

What I find irritating is that when I'm indicating right, the indicators are cancelled before I've even turned the wheel a fraction to the right - they cancel when I turn the wheel from straight ahead to the left, which is not the way you want them to work. Obviously, the car computer can tell that I haven't made the right turn yet.

Ah Thackeray I get you now. I' also find that irritating. I'l make a mental note to notice what mine does. But I'd suggest there may be a fault within the steering wheel/shaft causing that. My apologies for misreading earlier in your thread.