Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I use my GS450H for work only.  I opt out the co. car scheme, spend the majority of the money on the family car and run the GS450H for work only miles.

I am considering selling the GS450H early next year and was looking at getting a 2012+ model.  But I'm put off by the cost! 

An equivalent 5-series or E-class with a big lump of a diesel offering similar/better mpg, bigger boot etc. is quite a bit cheaper.  Granted the GS has more kit/tech but I'm not sure that it justifies the extra.

Anyone experience the same?  I suppose it might be due to rarity.  Are dealers sticking to ticket prices on used GS450H?  Anyone bought one recently?

It's a similar story on the LS vs 7s. S-Class, A8s etc

Chris, I think that what you have observed might apply to all Hybrids not just Lexus and the GS 450H.

Many, if not all, of the major manufacturers of motor cars are committing themselves to the production and sale of only Hybrid or Electric vehicles early in the next decade commencing with 2020. This will mean that demand for combustion engine only vehicles, (petrol or diesel,) will fall rapidly.Thus it makes commercial sense for manufactures to discount such vehicles that they currently stock.

Lexus, having Hybrids throughout its range will not be so affected, thus demand for their vehicles should remain steady or perhaps increase.

That`s my perception anyway and I`m sure others will have their own views.

I fully agree diesels aren't brilliant vs a nice 6-cyl petrol hybrid, but the diesel does come with a proper gearbox... 

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201710210515309?quoteref=92490834-6203-45ed-98a9-08c2dff1b72b

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-F-Sport-Mark-Levinson-r1bkzuw

I suppose the point I'm making is I bought my 07 GS450H after looking at similarly priced 530d and E350Ds, the Lexus was far better value for money.  Cheaper, less miles, newer.  Now if I do the comparison I'm really struggling to justify the lexus!

Question is how much the BMW or Merc cost when they were new ? Lexus was/is at £50k+ where competition was at £40+ to just start with.

Then there is a lot of 530D E350 on market which creates bigger pressure on price and finally Diesels are not trendy any more so you got big selling market but not so many buyers.

If you don't want to spend in £20k area maybe just look for the 2010-2012 ? Like:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-SE-L-qxblclc

Or GS250 like:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25-Luxury-kmblaum

You're right, the GS450H did cost more new than  535d/E350, hence my comparison with a similar 6-series which was £60k+ new.

I think the differences must be explained with the numbers available. 

Thanks for the links, the GS250 doesn't appeal, neither does a newer version of my current car. 

I may just decide keep my current car and run it to the ground but thought the high residuals of the current GS450H were worthy of forum comment! I also wanted to see if the dealers were offering heavy discounts off the ticket price on used GS450Hs.

I once started a conversation with a dealer about 2012 GS450h Premier with price tag of 25k. They weren't really willing to lower it by more than few hundreds. Car disappeared after week or two so I assume some just bought for asked price.

Thanks for the info.  

It is interesting. 

People would be put off buying a GS new because of the perception of poor residuals (which Lexus did have previously when compared to the Germans) now the residuals seem amazing!  40-50% after 5 years + 50k miles!

There are a few reasons.  

1) the GS450H cost more to begin with and it's a very rare car. They mostly end up at Lexus dealers who can govern the price to their liking

2) Lexus used vehicles at the dealership will only have £500-£1000 discount no more which keeps prices higher 

3) that Lexus is fully loaded. It has things that even the 6 series has got like rear wheel steering. It genuinely handles well and the mid range performance is better than a 640d no question. It just flies. 

4) diesels at the moment are attracting bad press and there's uncertainty around diesel future and taxation

5) there's so many 5 series around that dealers need to be competitive on pricing hence why the cheaper prices

6) technically the GS is still going as its on the same body whilst there's a new generation of 5 series and E class out pushing the prices down

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cpk said:

I fully agree diesels aren't brilliant vs a nice 6-cyl petrol hybrid, but the diesel does come with a proper gearbox... 

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201710210515309?quoteref=92490834-6203-45ed-98a9-08c2dff1b72b

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-F-Sport-Mark-Levinson-r1bkzuw

I suppose the point I'm making is I bought my 07 GS450H after looking at similarly priced 530d and E350Ds, the Lexus was far better value for money.  Cheaper, less miles, newer.  Now if I do the comparison I'm really struggling to justify the lexus!

It looks as though someone justified the Lexus; it is now marked as sold.