Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car is here. Why does it get dirty?

bvhout

Hi,

the car is at home. When you pick it up, don't put the manual in the boot. As you"ll never find that little button that you accidently hit and that makes that you won't be able to open the boot anymore. 

Ben

20171220_125548.jpg

266_1513799648638.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks very nice, looks like you are very pleased.

Is it possible to get a picture of the interior as that looks like a nice colour choice of leather, just wondering if it has any other colours in the door inlays. 

1 hour ago, bvhout said:

Hi,

the car is at home. When you pick it up, don't put the manual in the boot. As you"ll never find that little button that you accidently hit and that makes that you won't be able to open the boot anymore. 

Ben

20171220_125548.jpg

266_1513799648638.jpeg

Nice one, love that number plate.

This car is too good looking for off road parking - must be garaged always!

Yes, it looks fabulous. Let us know how you get on and if you have any issues.

As for dirt, where I live, in the country, just driving round the corner means you get filth (polite term) from the farm tractors all over your pride and joy. I have got a lot less sensitive about keeping the car immaculate these days.

My LC is looking like late January delivery at present.

All the best and Merry Christmas

• 3 weeks later...

Extraordinary! You have managed to spot two examples of a car on the road of which there are only about 200 in the UK.

I was expecting to get mine and then never see another (except in dealers). :wink3:

I see another Aston every couple of weeks or so but they sell 2000 p.a. and have done for at least 10 years. I must get our more.

BTW, I see the car park shown has the very wide spaces that I also never seem to see...

• Like 1

Hi,

No, I'm definitely not driving it around too much. Why not? 

First of all, I drive a lot, about 350 miles a week and if I'd use the lexus all the time this would add up to about 15,000 miles a year. I don't really want that. Most of the miles I drive are rather boring, the M1 and traffic jams in York and Sheffield. So, I haven't sold my mercedes cl 500 which I use for this. It's a 2011 model which has stopped depreciating. 

So, currently I keep the lexus for trips when I don't expect a traffic jam and the need to use cruise control.  

What do I think? 

I think it is much sportier than I thought. If I have to rate the car in a row of some of my previous cars I'd say that it drives less sporty than a lotus elise or an audi tts, more sporty that a jaguar xk 5.0, a jaguar xk 4.2 and much, much sportier than a mercedes 500 cl. About as sporty as a porsche boxter s. The Mercedes is - in my view – a more relaxed car. The comfort mode in the lexus does not make it that comfortable. It remains quite a sporty car.

I'm not quite used to the infotainment system. I'm a big fan of the colored head up display. I don't like the fact that not the whole steering wheel gets warm evenly (the outside gets warm much faster than the inside.) 

It's not fit for 4 people but for 3 people (my children age 12 and 11 and me) it is fine, we put the passenger seat a bit more forward and they are both quite comfortable. 

I didn't like the adaptive cruise control. I was continuously slowing down without wanting this. I do like all the other warning systems, including the lane departure warnings, forces me to indicate. 

In the evenings I get quite some people signaling as if I am driving with main beam on while I am not. Quite irritating. I have to see what I can do about that. 

I have washed it already a few times. Lovely car. 

Best thing, in my view is how it steers and how it responds to the throttle. And how, when you walk to it, you think, mmm that is a gorgeous car.

Question is, should I sell the mercedes? Or am I doing the right thing, saving the lexus a bit? 

Am adding some pictures (including one of the mercedes).

Yours,

Ben 

20171231_101037.jpg

20171231_101008.jpg

20171231_100854.jpg

DSC_0001_4.JPG

• Like 2

@bvhout A nice write up and I tend to agree with you about saving the car, if you consider it ‘the special one’ as such and it gives a sense of occasion why not.

The Mercedes is a good looking car I love the proportions of the Cl from that era, the new stuff is over styled and fussy.

Oh nice looking Home as well, you are clearly a man with an eye for proportionality, sorry it’s the builder in me !

Big Rat

Thanks Ben, very useful comments. on the LC500. I had a Merc. CL500 also but I had the twin turbo engine. Does yours have the normally aspirated engine being a 2011 model? I thought it was a very good car for cruising up the motorway (and very fast accelerating) but BIG to park in normal spaces. 

Regarding the cruise control, if the distance settings are the same as on the 4RX then I would agree that  the middle setting (2 bars on the display) is more intuitively in tune with my driving style than the default and longer distance 3 bars. However, I don't like the lane departure warning and have it switched off all the time.

Please give us some more feedback as you settle in with the LC.

Im a fan of that interior for sure 

Agree with comments regarding adaptive cruise control - I actually use the shortest distance which I find is best.

I get flashed in the RX as well - I tend to flash back and that just stops them in their tracks most of the time - the high beams are incredibly bright

Just amazing what color can do to a car. I find this a superb example of the right color matching the architecture of the car. Oh and that interior just blows my mind it oozes “ exotic supercar”. 

Just compare that to grey with a black interior..

You do need a strong character to drive up in a car like this though.

my compliments Ben!

Regarding the comments above about being flashed as if you are on main beam, are you using the AHBC system? I have this switched off on mine as some aspects of how it works are poor on rural roads (stays on dip too long) and I never get flashed in my 4RX under manual control.