Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattle/ vibration sound, feel

Daniellmoisa

Hi! I am experiencing something that is rather annoing! I start the car and select first to drive off! All normal! Then i select second and as the revs go up just after 1800rpm there is this rattle sound that i can feel in the steering wheel and vibration! When it gets over 2000rpm it stops and then changing to third is the same going after 1800 rpm when picking up speed the vibration comes back until it goes past 2000 rpm...

In this time i can feel the car vibrating like it struggles around this rev... all normal when 4th is selected! 

If i rev the engine when parked i dont get that! 

I recently cleaned egr and maf and after using shell v-power for months i put a tank of bp to see how it feels! Car accelerates and drives fine but i get that judder/vibration at that rev cound when picking up speed! 

It is something like a BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lexus is220d 2007 

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Tricky one to diagnose.

Can you post a video of it happening?

You say it vibrates 'like' the car is struggling?  Does it rev cleanly or is it stuttering?

it revs as it should and there is lots of power as well it is just that sport from 1800 until it passes 2000 rpm! there is no struggle on throttle just that vibration.... 

It only does this in second and 3rd gear! 

Very similar to selecting 6th gear at  under 70mph! 

It sounds like your phone when it vibrates on a table or like when you cross the rumble strip on the motorway  if you know what i mean i can't explain it and the video won't pick up on it...

I have been only driving the car to work after i cleaner the egr valve so  maybe i should take it for a drive! my house is 5 miles away from work...

Take it for a blast up the motorway and see what happens.  Keep it above 2000rpm for at least 15 minutes to get the DPF nice and hot.

No noise, just a vibration then?

Lastly, you sure it is only in 2nd and 3rd?

13 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Take it for a blast up the motorway and see what happens.  Keep it above 2000rpm for at least 15 minutes to get the DPF nice and hot.

No noise, just a vibration then?

Lastly, you sure it is only in 2nd and 3rd?

to be honest I don't think i used 4th gear this month at all! I work around Wembley stadium and the traffic is so bad! it sounds exactly like when you cross the rumble strip! it makes a vibrating sound! 

I had bp ultimate in it and i just came back from shell where i added 40 liters of v power diesel! 

In only a few hundred meters i could feel the vibration in second getting lower! earlier i could feel it in the car doors and steering wheel but now it is kinda settling down a bit...

It is like it is struggling for revs when you are in a higher gear than you should! 

I know the area well being originally from Kingsbury :smile:

Honestly, I would never run a diesel car around there unless it had some proper exercise regularly.  When was the last time it was taken for a run?

I have used nothing but Shell V Power in mine since I bought it.  I can't say it has been worth it since I can't test the alternative, but I hope it has done some good.

Go down the A40/M40 or M4 for a proper blast and see what happens.  Hopefully it is just clogged up and a good run will help clear it.

1 minute ago, Shahpor said:

I know the area well being originally from Kingsbury :smile:

Honestly, I would never run a diesel car around there unless it had some proper exercise regularly.  When was the last time it was taken for a run?

I have used nothing but Shell V Power in mine since I bought it.  I can't say it has been worth it since I can't test the alternative, but I hope it has done some good.

Go down the A40/M40 or M4 for a proper blast and see what happens.  Hopefully it is just clogged up and a good run will help clear it.

probably at the beginning of the month! it has only done this once before when going up a hill in 4th on the north circular! but i cleaned the egr and never got around to giving it a blast.... and honestly with this vibration going like that i was even afraid to go... 

My car had only 4 serious runs since i got it... And when i first bought it it sat for 3 months because of my lack of time...

Should of never put that bp in it anyway! The idle and the way it revs as changed within minutes of adding v power...

one more thing! Is this how this model really sounds? like a truck

and then there is this sound when i switch the car off l! I only had the car for 4 months and the mechanics around me avoid lexus or don't know about it...

On the video you can hear the wind at the end...

Please let me know if the car sound normal and maybe you know what that switch off sound is... it happens when i switch off the engine

20171216_230746.mp4

Well, first things first, take it for a run and see what happens.

As for the sound, yes, unfortunately that is how the engine is supposed to sound.  I compare it to a London taxi.

However, that sound at the end after you switch it off is not normal.  It is a strange one and almost sounds like a valve closing or something.

When I was around there the only place I took my car was the main dealer on Edgware Road, so I am afraid I can't help you with where to take it.  You could try them, and they are very good, but it would be expensive.

12 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well, first things first, take it for a run and see what happens.

As for the sound, yes, unfortunately that is how the engine is supposed to sound.  I compare it to a London taxi.

However, that sound at the end after you switch it off is not normal.  It is a strange one and almost sounds like a valve closing or something.

When I was around there the only place I took my car was the main dealer on Edgware Road, so I am afraid I can't help you with where to take it.  You could try them, and they are very good, but it would be expensive.

Morning! Last night I went on the M1 and I can say that the vibration has gone! I think the car was in need of some running as i could feel it slowly coming alive bit by bit! 

that sound at the end has been there since i bought the car from an authorized dealer and it has been services by Lexus! 

I will take it to lexus and maybe they will tell me what the sound is and go from there! 

I WAS SO WORRIED ABOUT THE WAY THE CAR SOUNDED AND NOW THAT YOU SAY IT IS NORMAL IT IS A BIG RELIEF... 

I really hope  you have a nice Christmas and a brilliant new year! Thank you for your time! 

Message me if you ever come to Kingsbury as I owe you one! 

Glad to hear the car is doing better :smile:

If you bought the car from a dealer then I would definitely take it back and try and get them to sort it out.  I assume you will take it to Lexus Edgware Road?  I have had very good service from them in the past and Leo (the service agent) was very helpful.

Let us know what Lexus have to say about that noise.

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you also.

Not to worry, my time is cheap :smile:  Seriously though, the helpfulness of members on here is one of the reasons I hang around;  they are a good bunch. :smile:

You don't owe me anything, but I do still occasionally come up to Kingsbury still, so if you want to compare notes some time I am sure something can be arranged.

Hi again! just message me whenever you are in the area and I will be happy to meet you! 

Since i took the car for a drive it has been behaving well after the long run! But now again after doing short trips around town with it the sound is coming back! 

I will visit Lexus Edgware Road after New Years and see if their diagnostics will find anything wrong with the car! 

I have been there for another diagnostic on mid-temperature white smoke and i am sure you saw posts around here about the car smoking like a train when or just before reaching the optimal temperature! They said that the car is operating normally and they find no reason for that white smoke with diesel smell! The smoke is still there and the car runs fine...! Maybe they know what it is but they cannot be bothered to fix the issue! Maybe a too inexpensive job for them to do...

This is the valve making the sound! My experience with this is very little! Can you please name this valve for me? I would like to buy a new one as well! THank you

On 2/18/2017 at 2:30 PM, Miłosz said:

Thanks, i am only driving in the city, so dpf smoked all the time :/ During winter diesel consumtion is about 8,5 but all the time i am using my small webasto. When temperatures will be +10 i will check once more my consumption. Theoretically egr off and dpf off should make factory paremeters 177hp and 400Nm if egnine and equimpment are good :D But in my opinion toyota cannot make a diesel engines and standard results are about 160hp and 360-380Nm i saw also couple of dyno results and everyting is near this result.

My ending scv cannot show any errors. From the date of purchase, there was no error, so diagnostics what is wrong with this car was difficult. My old bmw always show in ista what is wrong. So in my opinion another big ----------------------------- for toyota engineers.

If you want to make a good diagnostics use tech doc with reference parameters and live data, only reading errors it's not enough.

Correction in techstream is only for preview, injectors you can check only in special machine.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:43 PM, Shahpor said:

Glad to hear the car is doing better :smile:

If you bought the car from a dealer then I would definitely take it back and try and get them to sort it out.  I assume you will take it to Lexus Edgware Road?  I have had very good service from them in the past and Leo (the service agent) was very helpful.

Let us know what Lexus have to say about that noise.

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you also.

Not to worry, my time is cheap :smile:  Seriously though, the helpfulness of members on here is one of the reasons I hang around;  they are a good bunch. :smile:

You don't owe me anything, but I do still occasionally come up to Kingsbury still, so if you want to compare notes some time I am sure something can be arranged.

Thank you for that! I will replace that as soon as i can! 

Now, the problems with this car never seem to stop coming...

Now when i leave the car for the night in the car park for several hours it has a starting problem

It takes longer to crank and after it starts (IT DID NOT FAIL TO START SO FAR...) it has this uneven run for a few seconds like the engine is bouncing under the bonnet! Not smooth at all! The whole rough start and judder only last for a few seconds and then it evens out and drives perfect! 

I also noticed by mistake, that the headlights nearly faint when i start the car with them on... They nearly go off or flicker so the Battery being on its way out might be the rough and slow crank but after it starts i cannot understand the bounciness under the hood for the 2 seconds that it does it...

mechanic said today that there is no problem with it and it is very quiet and the engine runs pretty well but i had to drive it to the service and there it started very well and no signs of roughness! 

For me to be able to show to the mechanic he would have to keep the car for the night and start it in the morning but he said i worry too much...

When and where did you buy this car from?

Generally hard starting is down to the Battery, but that wouldn't cause rough running since these cars don't have spark plugs.

I wouldn't worry about the lights are long as they are running correctly when the car is running.  The drain on the Battery is high when it is cranking over, so the lights tend to dim.

Where did you take the car today?