Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I currently have a GS 450h 2012 and so far throughly enjoying it. The drive is excellent and can't fault the engine. 

However, one thing i have found lacking is the software interface not exactly the most advanced thing about the car. I think it also needs a sat nav update. 

So question is- what is the best way tl update the sat nav and/or software? Is there a way to download online or do i have to take into a dealer (and presumably pay an extortionate price)? 

Thanks 

For the price of one years map update from Lexus, i have a TomTom sat nav with free map updates and traffic updates for the life of the unit. Not as aesthetically pleasing maybe but i would rather move my eyes to another part of the windscreen than all the way to the central console, to see where i am going.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is also this website: https://toyotamaps.online

They are selling maps for the early MK4 for 79USD which is just under 60GBP right now. Anyone bought anything from them ?

I'm also curious if the product they are selling is some cracked version or they just got good deal with the manufacturer - probably 1st option :)

• Thanks 1

I made an update to my GS with hdd navigation, but for your GS that probably has a dvd based navi system the procedure is a bit different while I downloaded all online after sending my serial code (that probably you don't need to send to update).  They have better prices because of different prices where they usually sell ;-) , but at least in my case I am rather sure that sw is original.  I had some troubles during installation because of a memory I used initially not good and they were kind to give me all the support to solve the problem. An alternative solution if you have DVD navi is to buy one dvd of the original set of 4 with maps you need on eBay.

Hangie the HDD file is quite large, almost 32 GB when expanded, so better to ave a fast internet connection. I culd make the update because my navi system permits update trought USB port, if your system has not USB you can't. The procedure is rather simple, provided that you have the proper USB memory key , formatted in FAT32.

So the steps are:

order the update giving serial number of navi system

the dealer buys key code from Toyota/Lexus and receives the customized files for your navi

then he sends you by email the key code and the link to download updates

you download the rar files with update and expand them into a USB stick

connect usb and go to update menu , and when asked insert key code on navi system

the update starts , it needs many minutes so you have to leave the car ON (for hybrids not such a problem as gasoline engine keep off most of the time

when you read on screen procedure has come to end you can switch car off and wen restarting you can verify on navi menu you have new map version.

Hangie and Zotto, thanks for the advice, really useful.  I think I will take advantage of the cheaper map update through that website.  I have the generation 7 with USB under the middle console armrest so hopefully should work.  I'll let you know once I've completed the installation!

• Thanks 1

So I successfully downloaded the update and happy with how it went. I got the EU map update which includes UK and all european countries. 

I did a usb update for the 2012 GS450h (found out this is generation 7 for sat nav purposes). I have to say the support was excellent and you can easily contact the seller- I contacted the seller via whatsapp (number on his website) with questions before purchase and during the installation process and he answered pretty much straight away. 

In summary all you need is a pc with at least 40gb hard drive storage remaining, a usb stick (I ended up purchasing a 64gb due to size of download files being slightly larger than 32gb), a decent internet connection, and a bit of time. When I connected the usb to the car it took 93 minutes so I just left it on the car drive behind wife's car and stayed indoors! 

I also downloaded it all and extracted the files using Mac (although Windows is slightly easier). If using Mac there is a small program (free)  you need to download to prevent the Mac installing extra files onto the usb. Ask the seller on whatsapp if you need help with this, he provided me with a step to step guide over whatsapp. 

I'm not exactly the best with technology but I did get there in the end and it all works fine. Hopefully the update from 2012 to 2017 maps will make a difference. 

Overall highly recommend and much cheaper than dealerships I'm sure. 

No difference that I can see to the interface, just appears the map data has updated (although when I was updating it did do a ten minute software update). I presume any software update was done behind the scenes.

For me it was defo worth it because my maps were from 2012 and now I have updated maps for some major roads such as parts of the A1 north of Leeds which has changed since then.

Not sure if people with 2015 onwards maps will find an update that useful yet.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I used this website yesterday to upgrade my Sat Nav in a 2012 GS250 with 12.3 ML upgrade ... it cost me £82 .... communication with them was immediate. It still had the original maps from 2012 ...02-12-00 [2011-11-0] so now upgraded to the newest available with Lexus 02-19-00 [2018-11-0] It was exactly as @Zotto explained earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, Hangie said:

There is also this website: https://toyotamaps.online

They are selling maps for the early MK4 for 79USD which is just under 60GBP right now. Anyone bought anything from them ?

I'm also curious if the product they are selling is some cracked version or they just got good deal with the manufacturer - probably 1st option 🙂

Yes, I did and I have got the full and latest navigation installed. You will need a usb stick with a minimum of 32gb (if I stand correct) but I did have some issues at first to install the software in full from the download (not the supplier fault as I have a Mac and it can be tricky) but when I mentioned the issues I was having, someone kindly got back to me and took the lead to install the data onto my stick remotely and it worked perfect! So, I would not hesitate them for any navigation update. They are very good at what they do and know all about systems updates...

• 1 year later...