Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d strange problem, possibly turbo?

Thanks for that.

I can see it is made by IHI, but I can't see a model number?

Also, I can see some slots cut into the turbine housing, but no vanes?  Typically, variable vane turbos look like this:

turbo_compresor_geometria_variable.jpg.6910332802e05916adbd7eb73753cf1d.jpg

How come you don't need it anymore?

12 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks for that.

I can see it is made by IHI, but I can't see a model number?

Also, I can see some slots cut into the turbine housing, but no vanes?  Typically, variable vane turbos look like this:

turbo_compresor_geometria_variable.jpg.6910332802e05916adbd7eb73753cf1d.jpg

How come you don't need it anymore?

Thats exactly what lives in the exhaust casing just its factory pressed together and when knackered its doomed unless you can get it apart as you can buy the vane set up online,,as said due to the assembly I cant picture it but I assure its this type and very well made,,this one was stuck hence the stripdown,,works bloody lovely now so might stick it on anyway and rebuild mine..part no..

17201-26012/ 11/ 10 VB15

2 minutes ago, Ado1379 said:

So the actuator that is at 45 degrees is the wastegate. And that is the one opening and closing when I get the fault. 

Interesting

Yes Ado its dumping boost for no reason hence the poor response but as already said as its actually working the fault is why is it being told to do this possibly a dirty boost sensor (behind the egr) split hose bad connection its just a process of elimination,

Well now I’m absolutely sure it’s the wastegate I’ll start fault finding.

first plan is to get it fail again then unplug the vacuum hose and see it’s pulsing 12v at the plug. Causing the vacuum to open and close 

Well I'm no mechanic but have looked into this hugely due to the smoke prob I was having..The wastegate is instructed to open when max or indeed overboost may be an issue..this is controlled by a sensor located on the intake manifold behind the egr..if its dirty then it may be throwing false readings to the gate..its a 1 bolt removal (depending on finger size!!) and blast it with carb/electrical cleaner,very similar to cleaning the maf just a bit more awkward.Itsa mixture of superbrain ecu working with mechanical items..the brain always wins!!

Ok, I’ll do that tonight. Would having the egr blanked off have an effect on that sensor do you know at all? 

Mum also having a slight smoke issue but I’m sure that’s down to the 5th injector and having no dpf 

no it just measures the pressure in the manifold but electronically operates a solenoid on the vac line between it and the wastegate could be something like pipe fatigue or dirt! oh the smoke again if its dumping pressure the superbrain may be telling the injectors its all go then suddenly it aint that fuel has to go somewhere usually out ya pocket and into the atmosphere..its a huge circle of gadgets which im mo not needed!!

This is quite interesting.

Don't normally have someone with one of these turbos on their kitchen counter. :smile:

We really could use some pictures from underneath to see what all the pipework under their looks like.  Specifically, it would be nice to see how the EGR cooler is hooked up down there.

Also, Steven, sorry for all the requests, but I don't suppose you have the actuator linkage for the vanes to hand?  Would be really good to see it. :smile:

Hang on, one thing has occurred to me;  Does the turbo have the vanes in the exhaust side instead of a traditional wastegate?

If so, what is the second actuator for since I can't see a second linkage on the turbo?

Sorry for all the question. :smile:

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Hang on, one thing has occurred to me;  Does the turbo have the vanes in the exhaust side instead of a traditional wastegate?

If so, what is the second actuator for since I can't see a second linkage on the turbo?

Sorry for all the question. :smile:

no probs the vanes at low revs direct more exhaust gas directly onto the turbine at higher revs they close off making it a more natural turbo effect making it easier for the gas to exhaust it only diverts a small amount..I have pic but keeps saying theres a problem uploading grrr

Thanks for that.

I have come across variable vane turbos before, but only on the intake side.

But wouldn't that mean that the second actuator in the photo posted earlier was for the EGR Cooler as the turbo only uses the actuator you have just shown in the picture above?

6 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Ok, posting at the same time just gets confusing :smile:

So is this the actuator for the wastegate?

16FCE9DF-1D4E-45C8-AEF1-2C025F3575C2_thumb_jpeg_1114246918d43a29bbb65d858a21a617.jpg.062a9a26302f5c794032cd4485c2678b.jpg

I thought this was for the EGR cooler as I mentioned before.

without removing the turbo its quite tricky to see what the actuator is actually attatched too and where the pipework goes it def operates some valve on the manifold but surel the waste should be on the compresor side?? got me intrigued now

11 minutes ago, Bigchad said:

The wastegate is actually attached to the exhaust minifold just prior to the turbo..odd but true

You don't mean this, do you?

Untitled2.jpg.0952844d97e4fbda009b1767d6556b30.jpg

Because that appears to be where the EGR Cooler gets it exhaust gas from?

Untitled.jpg.78c8ac8711e03a7189c3cb1970f8ff27.jpg

I am seriously tempted to go try and cram my camera down there on mine tomorrow :smile:

• Like 1

Just to answer ya previous question I thought the turbo was iffy but having never changed/serviced one I bought a unit from an accident damaged motor to play about with before embarking on having a go..my turboturned out to be fine so just decided to refurb this one just incase..ya never know

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I have a 2009 is220d, that i has the DPF deleted/deleted and EGR blanked, and have a similar problem to the one described in this thread.

When the car is idling with the engine up to temperate,  if I turn on the head-lights there is a very audible change in engine noise/smoothness (not the slight change you might expect from the additional electrical load).

The EGR cooler actuator opens & closes and as it does the tone of the engine changes with it. when I turn off the lights the engine's noise level smoothness returns to normal.

The car has no issues with power delivery, just the loud idling one

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin