Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The ISF has gone

Lost the silver bullet today, my second ISF, only had this one for around 11 months and aside from some small cosmetic stuff I had done , nothing was spent on it and it has been faultless, pretty much as my previous 09 that went with 120k on the clock. This was 08 with 95k on the clock, still driving superbly.

I finally scratched the 911 itch and now have a lovely black 60 plate 997 S convertible sat on the drive, had a good drive to Chester very early this morning in the ISF and then a nice drive back in the 911 which I was somewhat familiar with after a work colleague kindly let me borrow hers last summer.

Not the ideal time for a soft top, that said it was 12c and sunny on the way back but I did resist the temptation to lower the roof, I guess I will have to take the short term pain for the payback in the spring and summer. The car is under Porsche warranty and has been so from day one and has only done about 38k so I am not expecting any major issues. Not sure how long I will keep it for but am certain I will be back in another ISF or RCF/GSF at some point in the not too distant future.

Lovely chap I did the deal with, he had never driven an ISF before and has access to all sorts of nice vehicles but he is now talking about keeping the ISF as his personal runaround!

I'll still be keeping an eye on the forum and still have the LS400 and the RX450h in my Lexus stable. Will be interesting to see how the 911 compares over time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@Nick W858 Sorry to see you go Nick I came from 911Turbo to the isF, all itches have to be scratched did the 911 thing working my way up through the range Carrera, Gt3, Turbo wouldn't go back personally, but 2 things I'd say enjoy it not matter what others say......... and keep it under warranty with Porsche as unless it's a gt or turbo car, or a gen2 the engines are are not known to be without there major problems.

If yours is an S then it's 3.8 they sound lovely with a sports exhaust 🤓

🐀

14 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Lost the silver bullet today, my second ISF, only had this one for around 11 months and aside from some small cosmetic stuff I had done , nothing was spent on it and it has been faultless, pretty much as my previous 09 that went with 120k on the clock. This was 08 with 95k on the clock, still driving superbly.

I finally scratched the 911 itch and now have a lovely black 60 plate 997 S convertible sat on the drive, had a good drive to Chester very early this morning in the ISF and then a nice drive back in the 911 which I was somewhat familiar with after a work colleague kindly let me borrow hers last summer.

Not the ideal time for a soft top, that said it was 12c and sunny on the way back but I did resist the temptation to lower the roof, I guess I will have to take the short term pain for the payback in the spring and summer. The car is under Porsche warranty and has been so from day one and has only done about 38k so I am not expecting any major issues. Not sure how long I will keep it for but am certain I will be back in another ISF or RCF/GSF at some point in the not too distant future.

Lovely chap I did the deal with, he had never driven an ISF before and has access to all sorts of nice vehicles but he is now talking about keeping the ISF as his personal runaround!

I'll still be keeping an eye on the forum and still have the LS400 and the RX450h in my Lexus stable. Will be interesting to see how the 911 compares over time.

Nice write up Nick.

I can understand your itch. I owned a Boxster S and have driven a few 911s (993,996 & 997) in the past. All of them felt special to drive and got lots of attention. Something that is sort of lacking in the ISF (IMvHO).

I’m sure you’ll love it. Enjoy! 👍

10 hours ago, stevet said:

Pattern coming here. I sold my ISF for a 911 too. Think it’s just one of them cars that anyone interested in cars has to get that itch scratched.

Sorry I disagree, I have never had any interest in driving a sporty Beetle. 

It makes me laugh every time a new model is released the motoring press herald how amazing it is and the best yet, etc. etc. etc. ..................... but they forget to highlight that Porsche have been making the same damn car for over 50 years now, it ought to be perfect !!!!!  

I have no artistic skills at all, but I bet even I could swing a job at car design in Porsche for many years :laugh:

• Like 1

Itches definitely have to be scratched,we had a boxster S for a third car enjoyed driving it kept it cleaned and polished and then sold it exactly one year later for the same money.

Unfortunatly there are a lot of itches to scratch which drives the better half mad.

Congrats on your new purchase and enjoy.

29 minutes ago, Martin F said:

Sorry I disagree, I have never had any interest in driving a sporty Beetle. 

It makes me laugh every time a new model is released the motoring press herald how amazing it is and the best yet, etc. etc. etc. ..................... but they forget to highlight that Porsche have been making the same damn car for over 50 years now, it ought to be perfect !!!!!  

I have no artistic skills at all, but I bet even I could swing a job at car design in Porsche for many years :laugh:

😜

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yes agree the designers have definitely been engaging in some lengthy lunches over the years and it hasn't evolved much and it certainly has its flaws. That said, I think if you have an interest in cars then it's definitely an itch that is nice to scratch. You don't the bulletproof reassurance that you have with the ISF and whilst the 911 is more attention grabbing, that's not really my motivation, although these days I have noticed more pedestrians, passengers and even some drivers have their heads buried in their smart phones to be able to pay much attention to the cars around them. Big Rat, yes it's a Gen 2 and it has always been under the Porsche warranty and will remain so under my ownership. The sports exhaust was a must for me along with a few other nice bits that I wanted to have primarily to make sure it would be easy to resell and hopefully with very little depreciation. So here I am one day into the 911 experience and already looking forward to coming back to an 'F' 😀

• Like 3

@Nick W858 Nice little write up Nick it would be great if you did stay with us dipping in and out, we are all for cars at the end of the day and quite frankly at times who cares who the manufacturer is as long as you have the warranty 😂

You are right that particular exhaust is an absolute must I'm sure I can speak for others can we have some pictures please ?

Id be interested in the extras you wanted as well, the resale Porsche market is a feckle place !

You keep that warranty going don't want that Porsche Paranoia setting in without it 😁

🐀

• Like 1

Thanks Big Rat, yes I will be sticking around for sure, I have owned Lexus cars for much longer than any other brand and have real affiliation with the cars and the people that own and appreciate them. Spec is not over the top on the 911, it has the active suspension management (PASM), the sports chrono which is the little stopwatch thing atop the dash which I am not sure if I will ever use it but it seems important to the Porsche lovers, it has the turbo alloys which again seem to curry favour but I like all the different alloys to be honest, plus the extended leather pack, the Bose (which sounds weak in comparison to Lexus sound) and it has the PDK gearbox - the chap who took my car was really pleased with the 'box in the ISF. I'll post some pictures once it has been given a clean, it was immaculate on collection and then a 120 mile trip home from Chester soon changed things. Again, black would not be by my first choice, I like the GT silver and also the white but a bit like when I bought my ISFs, I just had to go with the condition, spec etc and largely forget about the colour as they all look pretty good and sticking with the prospect of resale, black seems to do it for a lot of people. If things do go horribly wrong on the reliability front, the warranty will take care of things and the dealers seem very generous with the courtesy cars so on the upside I might get to drive a few other Porsche models should things start to go wrong.

• Like 1

@Nick W858 Just the right spec IMO, Nick there is a lot more to sports chrono that the clock, it enhances all the drive modes chassis gearbox steering etc, important addition to have.

I agree with the wheels and the bose is ok, Black they do look good in it but the dirt 🙄

Important to have the software updates on the gearbox, never owned a pdk car had many as service loan cars I like it.

I take it yor aware how many Porsche dealers can take the warranty rules to the enth degree ie.... OEM Batteries fitted by them which are not a good quality but only there’s can be used......££££££

And Porsche ‘N’ rated tyres is another moot point.

But all this will pale into if significance when summer comes and the roof is down:yahoo:

🐀 

Agree, the dealers are notoriously picky re the warranty, and as you say even if it needs a new Battery then it has to be a Porsche one and apparently Bosch make especially weak ones just for Porsche 😀.

The upside being that you get great peace of mind and come resale time, it's a big selling point, they cover now up to 15 years of age so I'm less than halfway there. The next service is due Dec 18 as they are on two year intervals as you will know and at the same time the warranty will be up so I will need to have the 111 point check and the beauty of it being under warranty is that they replace anything that needs doing (under warranty) before renewing again, warranty is c£1000 pa and you can do two years at once so I suspect it will be a hefty bill combining the cost of the 111 point check, the cost of the service plus the renewal of the warranty but I knew all this before I bought the car and I have 12 months to save some pennies and if I want or need to sell on at a good price then it's definitely a necessary evil.

And yes, I know that on a sunny day on a good road, with the roof down and the sports exhaust doing its thing then it will all be worth it - roll on summer!

Happy New Year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

And yes, I know that on a sunny day on a good road, with the roof down and the sports exhaust, I’ll see an LC500 and think.........hmmmmmm, that’s an itch I have to scratc:wink3:

Happy New Year

Funny that, only yesterday I was thinking the same thing, will be interesting to see how the LC depreciation curve works out against the 911 and at what point the values meet, would definitely be a great motor to switch to from a 911, that said I will not feel short changed switching back into an ISF either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Funny that, only yesterday I was thinking the same thing, will be interesting to see how the LC depreciation curve works out against the 911 and at what point the values meet, would definitely be a great motor to switch to from a 911, that said I will not feel short changed switching back into an ISF either.

Can't imaging the LC reaching the £20-30k mark for a while personally.

Maybe never will, having sat in one, they do seem to be on a different level to the ISF/RCF but maybe that's just my personal taste talking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links