Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

leak for top of A pillar/tube on A piller

Firstly happy New year to all.

secondly and thirdly:

2nd - found water mark on inside cover of A pillar ( see picture)   - removed it but cannot see where it is coming from but can see wet right in the corner, suspected a leak from somewhere for a long time as inside of windscreen gets wet/icy very bad condensation in the winter - seems i now know why - anyone had leak from top of A frame or somewhere near that can advise how i can resolve it. ( apart from the obvious of getting the screen replaced)

3rd- when internal cover of A pillar removed, noticed a tube - curious to know what it is any ideas ?

20171229_084658.jpg

For some reason the rear wash/wipe fluid supply tube on my wife's old Mondeo had a joint in it above the 'B' post in the roof lining and it came adrift at some point and she complained that the rear wash/wipe had no fluid coming out. On further investigation I heard the fluid trickling down inside the 'B' post when operating the rear wash/wipe without the engine noise.

Turns out this joint come adrift due to a new wash/wipe pump being installed in the front resivour and the pipe that fed the rear nozzle being pulled too much.

so has your wash/wipe system been touched in any way recently? Just my two penneth worth!

paul m

• Like 1

Has your car been exposed to freezing temperatures recently and does the screen wash have a good dose of additive in it and not just water? As the wife's pump froze and split open your hose may have froze and split! Hopefully not...

paul m.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hi Charlieboy3,

following various tests my current position is:

i have the windscreen edge (left side, right side and across the top covered by 2" gaffer tape, the drivers side roof rail has been removed and the whole length of the rain gulley has been covered with 2" gaffer tape, the headlining has been removed - today i let loose with the hose and drenched the vehicle - the test will be tomorrow -if it drips i am at a loss where its it coming in, if it does not i will have narrowed the problem down to the roof rail/gulley - the next step will be to seal the gulley - will keep you posted.

44 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Looks like there are joints in the rear washer pipe near your water mark. It's definitely something you want to get fixed as water near the curtain airbag isn't ideal.

5a889f38e42ed_ScreenShot2018-02-17at21_29_18.png.61a0e2beb0b016cedfca4a9349a83a98.png

Hi - do you have a picture of the rear suspension gas struts - interested to see how easy it is to replace them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N18RKS said:

thanks, its definitely is not from the washer pipe - its from outside getting in - i have the pipe and  the airbag curtain exposed. 

I guess the water could be running down that double skin from quite a way away :sad:

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I guess the water could be running down that double skin from quite a way away :sad:

unfortunately i think that is the case - no drips today so i think i can rule out the windscreen (good news) looking like its the rain gulley where the roof rails sit - there must be a drain away somewhere that is blocked and the water is backing up and coming out form a place where it would not normally be. i am going to remove some silicon i have applied and take a visit to these people :

https://cars.newagain.co.uk/car-water-leak.asp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi N18RKS

we have the same problem in our 450RX and it’s been back 4 times to the Lexus dealers it’s only 5 years old. 

they are saying it’s the amount of water when we put the hosepipe on and the slope of our drive, which is not steep, it’s a small slope. 

It rained all day Saturday night and Sunday morning the towel we put on the floor was soaking.

back with a them and they said there’s no blockage with pipes. The rails on top of car have never been removed. No roof box ever used. We are at a loss and it’s extremely frustrating.

how are you getting on?

oh, it only happens when the front of car is parked facing down the slope!

Edited by Charlieboy3
  • Like 1

Hi Charlieboy3 - i took off my driverside roof rail and tapped the whole length of the rain gutter - this stopped the leak instantly, i then (a bit extreme) in the end i took out the headlining and the A frame pillar covers and saw water coming on from the top corner where the screen/body work meet - i believe the rubber bonding between the screen and the bodywork had come away/perished or something - this allowed moisture in initially, then over the years due movement, expansion/contraction the gap got larger and made the problem worse until such time it allowed water in. It got so bad the whole of the interior windscreen was wet or iced when very cold.

i had the windscreen replaced today - so should be ok - finger crossed, time will tell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi N18KRS

thats very helpful and interesting to know. I’ve suggested the roof rail before now.

Keep us posted I really hope it’s sorted your problem out.

will let you know our out come in due course.

• 1 year later...