Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drivetrain and fuel efficiencies in facelift 3RX450h?

I believe that the third generation RX450h was facelifted in 2012, where it acquired the spindle grille amongst other things. Hopefully, I'll soon be in the market for a 3rd Gen RX450h and I was just idly wondering if fuel economy was somehow improved in the facelifted version or was it mostly a cosmetic makeover?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not tight and I do know that the RX is a big car and drinks fuel for fun, having owned an RX300 for about 20 months now. However, I just don't like wasting money if I don't have to. Plus, I may be able to convince my good lady wife that we should perhaps spend a bit more on the purchase of a facelifted model if it's going to be better and more efficient on fuel than a pre-facelift one. We should have a budget of £20k which I think puts us in the 2010 to early 2013 model years (perhaps being a bit optimistic including 13 in there unless I'm very lucky) but may be able to increase that slightly if the facelifted model justifies it.

4 hours ago, sorcerer said:

We should have a budget of £20k which I think puts us in the 2010 to early 2013 model years (perhaps being a bit optimistic including 13 in there unless I'm very lucky)

Just under a year ago I bought a March 2013 3RX Luxury 450h for £19,950.  Two owners, Full Lexus servicing with 55k on the clock and the 60k service (including plugs) had been done at 53k.  So, your budget is not unrealistic John.  I was patient searching for it and have been delighted with it since purchase.  Here's a summary of my mpg since purchase:

rxmpg.xlsx

DSC01152.JPG

9 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I believe that the third generation RX450h was facelifted in 2012, where it acquired the spindle grille amongst other things. Hopefully, I'll soon be in the market for a 3rd Gen RX450h and I was just idly wondering if fuel economy was somehow improved in the facelifted version or was it mostly a cosmetic makeover?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not tight and I do know that the RX is a big car and drinks fuel for fun, having owned an RX300 for about 20 months now. However, I just don't like wasting money if I don't have to. Plus, I may be able to convince my good lady wife that we should perhaps spend a bit more on the purchase of a facelifted model if it's going to be better and more efficient on fuel than a pre-facelift one. We should have a budget of £20k which I think puts us in the 2010 to early 2013 model years (perhaps being a bit optimistic including 13 in there unless I'm very lucky) but may be able to increase that slightly if the facelifted model justifies it.

Mainly cosmetic but there were suspension changes, addition of sport mode and improvement of the centre console layout as well as the nav system. 

There were no changes to the drivetrain AFAIK

in terms of MPG I got about 27 mpg in town and up to 35mpg on a motorway run. Essentially i managed to do about 450 odd miles per tank.

Having had an RX300 I know it drunk fuel like crazy and my fuel bill halved.

Worth remembering that the facelift came out in 2012 as a 12 plate so these will be cheaper 

• Thanks 1

It was an independent John.  A bit sad really as he was selling it on behalf of a mate of his who'd been made redundant and couldn't keep up the payments on his pride and joy.  I p/x'd my IS250C with him at a slightly lower price than I had in mind, but I was buying the RX about £3k less than a Lexus dealer would charge.  Cost to change was favourable, that was the crux and the car had been well looked after with full Lexus SH.  Had it nearly a year now and still smile every time I climb aboard. :yes:

• Like 1