Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy at tickover. Any thoughts?

I've recently noticed that my car has become quite noisy at tickover with an obvious tappity noise which seems to be coming from the serpentine belt area. You can't hear it from inside but I'm sure the car was a damn site quieter than this when I got it!

Any thoughts on this? Basically the car hasn't had a huge amount of use in its first 15 years (about 3-4k per year) but now it's very much my all weather daily driver.

• 1 month later...

Returning to this. Got to work this morning, pulled up to open the shutters and everything was very rattly. I'm sure this can't be right. It's not like this all the time but often is quite noticeable.

Note: Cold morning but up to temperature.

a cheap stethoscope may help - be careful when using that you don't get it near moving parts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-154006-Mechanics-Stethoscope-320/dp/B001C0RYPG

It could be one or more of the fuel injectors being noise, or valve clearance is too large.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to monitor this a little more closely to see when it does it and when it doesn't. The car definitely doesn't sound like this all the time and it still runs as smooth as it always has.

When were you belts changed last. I picked up mine recently on 110k and it wasn’t quite as noisy as that but was a lot of vibration especially under the vvt I cover. Now all belts and everything replaced it’s so much quieter, 

Only a thought 

Sounds perfectly normal for a vvti to me.

My previous IS250 sounded exactly the same. I found using shell V power did quiet things down a little but it does take a couple of fill ups to do the trick.

12 hours ago, Magic7032 said:

When were you belts changed last. I picked up mine recently on 110k and it wasn’t quite as noisy as that but was a lot of vibration especially under the vvt I cover. Now all belts and everything replaced it’s so much quieter, 

Only a thought 

Mine was done in 2010 at 33k. It's now done 57k-ish. Maintenance on the IS300 2JZ is 10 years or 100,000 I believe. I did have the belt cover off a few months ago and everything looked as clean as a whistle.

11 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Sounds perfectly normal for a vvti to me.

My previous IS250 sounded exactly the same. I found using shell V power did quiet things down a little but it does take a couple of fill ups to do the trick.

Cheers Rebecca. I might be worrying about nothing. I'm just aware that my Lexus warranty ends later this year!