Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

merry exmass to one and all , Informed by daughter that I was to play father Christmas this  year to the grand kids. [they live in Manchester] all parcells duly picked up wrapped from various outlets ,one more to pick up t, r, us, Scunthorpe. jumped in car, started ,into reverse let go the brakes  engine revs and there is no movement,no brakes on no electronic brakes on .nothing then a loud bang., car shot backwards at full tilt,had to stamp on brakes fast .sat for a moment thought it was stuck brakes, into drive and gingerly try car ,seems ok drive down to lights ,sit there.when lights change car again ,NO GO revs rise again then again loud bang car shoots forwards [not good image of one year old LEXUS,]. anyway turned around got home phoned up hull LEXUStold the story asked me to come straight in did a full check on car brakes found nothing wrong no sticking pins ect.car running perfect went home .next day  23 car was ok sunday drove [crawled] to Manchester on m62 car faultless and has been up to now? has anybody else had or heard of this before old friend said it could be the steel band in the cvt box .any info would be good  thanks all ,PS must put a big thanks for HULL lexus put themselves out for me at closing time and the offer of a curtesy car .

My guess would be the pads had stuck on the discs. Happens fairly often after washing the car and not moving it for a day or so. Has done on my RC and also on my Mercs.

Though I've never experienced again once the car has moved off.

If the GS CVT is the same as the one in the RC then there are no brake bands or clutches. Just constantly meshed gears. 

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

If the GS CVT is the same as the one in the RC then there are no brake bands or clutches. Just constantly meshed gears. 

Yes that's right, it'll be an eCVT which are in all Toyota/Lexus Hybrids cars.

Are you sure the footbrake wasn't on Brian ?:tongue_smilie:

As Peter already noted above, this does sound like the pads sticking onto the discs after getting wet. They can get properly stuck on in the GS - mine sometimes takes considerably throttle application to get it moving and then it really does let go with a bang!

I think I had that sensation just this morning. Started the car, went to set off in reverse and the brakes, clonked and unstuck before car moved off. Bizarre how quick the pads stick to discs. 

sorry for delay in answering, but been down with the bug ,on return trip from Manchester car seemed to be very sluggish needing a lot of revs to get/keep going.put it into sport to use paddles through road works, kept in gear 2/3 whilst clear of road works.when onto unrestricted road went upto 70[honest] car was feeling better in fact a lot better,back in drive car as should be .no more problems. next day car behaving as should so far, as you recall weather just before exmas was spring like ? been out sat/sun heavy frost but every thing ok .reading your reply's and LEXUS hull [just a satisfied customer] I am putting it down as stuck brakes .regards polish  p.s  happy new year

• Like 1