Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scary how fast this is stolen.

Already keep my key in a "Faraday pouch". Theyre so cheap, its not worth the risk.
This is the exact one I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Genuine-Faraday-Bag-Block-Theft/122832724688
I got it for £1.99 though, so might be better offers now.

37 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Already keep my key in a "faraday pouch". Theyre so cheap, its not worth the risk.
This is the exact one I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Keyless-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Genuine-Faraday-Bag-Block-Theft/122832724688
I got it for £1.99 though, so might be better offers now.

Am I missing something, why is it showing a pregnant woman.....

• Like 2

Some people don't like excessive radio waves around unborn children... I think??

These pouches block signals from anything like phones, tablets, keys, contacless cards too.

Good idea but playing devils advocate, a theft like this is probably targeted...if they can't gain access using a scanner, would they they then try and enter the house? I'm thinking if the car is targeted and they want it that bad, let them have it, I don't want them in my house. Or are these opportunist? 

Interested to get views on this.... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Good idea but playing devils advocate, a theft like this is probably targeted...if they can't gain access using a scanner, would they they then try and enter the house? I'm thinking if the car is targeted and they want it that bad, let them have it, I don't want them in my house. Or are these opportunist? 

Interested to get views on this.... 

Can't just hand it to them on a plate mate!

I agree, you wouldn't want them entering your house but I'd guess the majority of them wouldn't take the risky next step and try braking your door down etc.

It only takes one.

I'm self employed, worked all my life, worked hard for the nice stuff, yada yada. But I don't care what car it is, they can have it if the alternative is them putting a hand on my front door. The possible consequences of them coming into my house and waking my wife or children doesn't bear thinking about. 

If it was up to me and keyless entry thefts were becoming widespread I'd encourage insurance companies to make the option unaffordable. I've had it on two BMWs and just thought it was dumb.

• Like 3

I don't want to sound heroic, but I am on opposite side - I would even open the home door for them. They way to get out is different story - would not leave a single bone unbroken.

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I don't want to sound heroic, but I am on opposite side - I would even open the home door for them. They way to get out is different story - would not leave a single bone unbroken.

I agree, if it was one would be thief...the problem is they probably work on groups so handling 4 blokes may be a bit tougher!

• Like 1

You are right, different groups will use different methods, but it is wrong to assume that thieves (even "muscle type" ones) looks or acts like Vinnie Jones... all of them would hope not to be challenged and focuses on speed rather than brute force, as such it is likely that if challenged they would flee rather than fight. The ones who are ready to fight would chose kidnapping and car hijacking, not thievery.

I tend to believe that new trend with signal boosters is partially catching on because of legal climate in UK. As long as nobody is injured and no other property is damaged Police in UK pretty much turns blind eye on car related crime. Be sure thieves got this message very clear - "if you do not injure anyone, we won't bother looking after you", as such there was 30% increase in car thefts in last 3 years. This pretty much directs thieves tactics - hijacking leaves person shaken and potentially injured, this sure to be priority in police list, braking into the house potentially leaves entire family shaken and it is 2 crimes at once - again police will have to do something, not to mention both methods will put the thief at risks as well... Signal boosters are quick, clean, leaves little to none evidence and it is great for police to ignore - "please contact you insurance sir, while we do nothing". Even if caught such thieves would get unbelievably lenient sentences (prison is not even an option).. so for them is small risk big gain game.

Finally, I guess it was foolish for me to suggest to challenge the thieves (even if they are more likely to flee). This is because my mindset I still stuck in another country and I still foolishly think that you are allowed to defend yourself - which is sadly not the case in UK. As such I would like my above comment back :yinyang:

• Like 2

@Linas.P Some good points there Linas I'm glad you retrieved your 'Rambo' comment it's just not worth it, a guy I work with had is Audi Rs6 stolen from the drive forced there way into the house one night and took the keys while he was working away they threatened his wife with rape if she didn't hand the keys over, she just got in the Police believe they followed her back.

Anyway the insurance replaced the car a while later with another RS6 and sure enough they came back, Steve was so concerned about what happened before that he had steel bar gate fitted at the foot of the stairs, they broke in having disabled the alarm he heard them and went to the stairs put the lights on and there they were ski masks and holding petrol bombs.

Suffuce to say he handed the keys over, they've since moved and he no longer drives these type of vehicles, as I said it's just not worth it it's just a car at the end of the day.

Big Rat

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Linas.P Some good points there Linas I'm glad you retrieved your 'Rambo' comment it's just not worth it, a guy I work with had is Audi Rs6 stolen from the drive forced there way into the house one night and took the keys while he was working away they threatened his wife with rape if she didn't hand the keys over, she just got in the Police believe they followed her back.

Anyway the insurance replaced the car a while later with another RS6 and sure enough they came back, Steve was so concerned about what happened before that he had steel bar gate fitted at the foot of the stairs, they broke in having disabled the alarm he heard them and went to the stairs put the lights on and there they were ski masks and holding petrol bombs.

Suffuce to say he handed the keys over, they've since moved and he no longer drives these type of vehicles, as I said it's just not worth it it's just a car at the end of the day.

Big Rat

Fortunately for us, Lexus aren't in the top 10 of stolen cars in the U.K.  They're obviously underrated by all those who've never owned one!

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/

• Like 2

Sad sad sad that it has come to this. I guess everybody on this forum will know someone whos car has been stolen or broken into. My BMW was ripped clean 2 times so i had to sell it. Mate of mine had a Panamera, first 2 times the headlamps were stolen third time the car. Anothers BM 130 just disappeared. Its not only the expensive exclusive cars but even Polos Golfs etc. 

Big Rat just as your mate rightfully concluded not to buy special cars anymore i wonder how many people would think thesame??

And yes i agree the exclusive vehicles are stolen on demand and the stealing of parts is likely done by organized gangs. Its no longer the old school amateur at work.  

• Like 1

@liambart Yes it is, unfortunately it's the times we live in Steve who suffered the attack pointed me in the direction of this YouTube vid Police told him it was most likely the same gang no easy fir the cops either as you will see..........

Big Rat

• Sad 1

On 10/01/2018 at 8:50 PM, Big Rat said:

@liambart Yes it is, unfortunately it's the times we live in Steve who suffered the attack pointed me in the direction of this YouTube vid Police told him it was most likely the same gang no easy fir the cops either as you will see..........

I can't help but root for the cops in this video but do love an RS6

Got a couple of ideas on this, Lexus/Manufacturers take note.

- Supply owners with a 'theft fob'. Identical in every way to the normal fob(s), except this one is programmed to safely shut-down the car after 10mins provided the car is below a certain speed etc. Wouldn't shut things down all at once, but would gradually shutdown to prevent accidents (last thing you need is a car travelling at over 100mph suddenly stopping dead and losing control). When they unlock/start the car with the theft fob, it would transmit that emergency signal to the ECU to start the shutdown timer, and also alert the Police to the theft via a third party or monitoring service.

- Codes should be available for the Police to use to wirelessly disable the car. Again it would need to be a gradual process, or work only when the car drops to say 10mph or less. You'd want the steering and brakes to remain fully functional, but the engine would gradually decelerate to a stop.

The key would be having a way to restore the car back to normal operation afterwards without incurring huge costs. Probably best to make it a dealer only option to prevent thieves from discovering the method needed to do this themselves.....

Taking the above RS6 video as an example, when they brake hard to reverse into the pursuing Police car, the ECU would have shutdown bringing the car to a stop as the speed trigger would have sensed the opportunity to safely operate. :smile:

I can simplify that. Fit every new car with a tracker from the factory. If you walk around with a mobile phone you've got one in your pocket anyway so the snooping argument is moot. Your mobile provider has access to that information so the case against letting insurance companies have it too is also irrelevant. If you want to be off the grid then wear sheepskins and live in a cave. If you want to protect your £££££ vehicle then let it be tracked. Many vehicles already have this technology but at the moment we ask it to find the nearest supermarket.

There. Sorted.

If anyone wants me to look at Arab/Israeli two state solution or what we should do about the glaciers melting just give me a shout.

I also find contributions from people who watch too much telly amusing too. The sort of physical violence you may experience in real life isn't reflected in TV drama. It's nasty, vicious and it hurts. And trust me, you're allowed to try and defend yourself regardless of what The Daily Mail may tell you. Battering someone unconscious because they try to steal your car is a different matter entirely.

• Like 1