Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scary how fast this is stolen.

24 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I can simplify that. Fit every new car with a tracker from the factory. If you walk around with a mobile phone you've got one in your pocket anyway so the snooping argument is moot. Your mobile provider has access to that information so the case against letting insurance companies have it too is also irrelevant. If you want to be off the grid then wear sheepskins and live in a cave. If you want to protect your £££££ vehicle then let it be tracked. Many vehicles already have this technology but at the moment we ask it to find the nearest supermarket.

There. Sorted.

If anyone wants me to look at Arab/Israeli two state solution or what we should do about the glaciers melting just give me a shout.

I also find contributions from people who watch too much telly amusing too. The sort of physical violence you may experience in real life isn't reflected in TV drama. It's nasty, vicious and it hurts. And trust me, you're allowed to try and defend yourself regardless of what The Daily Mail may tell you. Battering someone unconscious because they try to steal your car is a different matter entirely.

Hey Rich,

Thing is a tracker won't stop the car though.... Yes you can track them (although most thieves know how to disable them, or get them in a container or somewhere off the grid quickly), but that won't stop them ramming other cars, or worse, killing an innocent party that happens to be crossing a road etc.

My method actually renders the car useless to the thief/thieves. They can then be arrested if the Police have responded or can spare the manpower, or they have to abandon the car and go on foot.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Peter P18 said:

Hey Rich,

Thing is a tracker won't stop the car though.... Yes you can track them (although most thieves know how to disable them, or get them in a container or somewhere off the grid quickly), but that won't stop them ramming other cars, or worse, killing an innocent party that happens to be crossing a road etc.

My method actually renders the car useless to the thief/thieves. They can then be arrested if the Police have responded or can spare the manpower, or they have to abandon the car and go on foot.

Doesnt this already exist?

the most expensive alarms have gps trackers and ignition shut down after 10 minutes of being reported stolen?

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Doesnt this already exist?

the most expensive alarms have gps trackers and ignition shut down after 10 minutes of being reported stolen?

No idea.... If it does already exist, then it should be rolled out for all cars (not just the most expensive ones).

The premiums are high enough – why not let the insurance companies take part of the responsibility for a stolen car – They can recommend and have an alarm/immobiliser or whatever installed by them to endorse it. No come back on them turning a claim down if a car was stolen, likewise, a reduction in premiums for the car owner in having their recommended system installed. Hardly think it will stop the crime but it would drive the insurance companys harder to get something better done about the state of the stolen car issues.

Also ...

Can this weather be sorted?

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, JeffL said:

Fortunately for us, Lexus aren't in the top 10 of stolen cars in the U.K.  They're obviously underrated by all those who've never owned one!

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/

I am glad we own underrated cars - long may it live on ..... :wheelchair:

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Hi rich

Forget about the arab israel situation but how long exactly for a soft boiled egg??

hope you can help!!

About 4 and a half minutes but no longer.

3 hours ago, EvoStevo said:

Rich, can you sort Brexit for us?

That is beyond even my abilities.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I originally started looking for an 8v rs3, two months on the Audi forum and an insurance quote put death to that!

Someone breaks into my house where my child and wife are sleeping due to my choice of car knowing it might happen I’d struggle to forgive myself. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, C.B said:

I originally started looking for an 8v rs3, two months on the Audi forum and an insurance quote put death to that!

Someone breaks into my house where my child and wife are sleeping due to my choice of car knowing it might happen I’d struggle to forgive myself. 

The amount of horror stories I’ve read surrounding thefts of hot hatches... R/S3s, Golf R, Focus or Fiesta ST/RS  - it’d certainly make me think twice about owning one too. 

The post-theft story will almost invariably feature the words “but I live in a nice area”. Indeed they might, but obviously these areas are easily reached by ne’er-do-wells in their cars...

Its not even like the “good old days”, when the theft would take place on your driveway; with modern cars, you pretty much NEED the keys. The present spate of keyless thefts aside, the thieves have to come inside to get them.

In a way, it makes me a bit happier having a car that’s not well known, and doesn’t attract attention like a dog’s proverbials...

Ecu shut down does exist, it definitely exist on Range Rover as a friend of a friend came to realise when he couldn’t afford the repayments, they disabled his car on his drive, simple, pay or well collect it......technology exists in most areas like bank fraud, the cost to implement it are more expensive than the cost of covering the individual loss, all comes down to money, companies are profit driven, you I and everyone else are irrelevant on a “personal level”.......also wonder if the cabbie offered his services.........obviously at a price 😳

11 hours ago, C.B said:

I'm sorry but why should you let some tea leaf influence what type of car you choose to own? 

It's bad enough that they already influence your decision partially by the increase in insurance premiums for some cars, but to also allow them to affect your purchase choice because there is a higher probability they may choose to steal the car you wish to drive over another is ludicrous. How far do you take this decision, do you end up choosing a Mondeo over a Mazda 6 because even though they are the same car the Mazda6 is more desirable to tea leaf's ?

Don't forget you only tend to hear about all the cars which are stolen, not the hundreds which aren't, and out of all those which are stolen how many are actually aggrivated ? 

Life can be short, so why let some scum dictate what you do with it.

Well that theory is fine but i sold my bmw after 3 times in 12 months they ripped the interior clean. All happened in front of my house directly under my bedroom. My wife freaked out after the 3rd time telling me they would come into the house the next time and i just had enough of it. This does influence my decision as i will not buy another bmw again full stop so yes the tea leaves do win sometimes.

6 hours ago, Martin F said:

Life can be short, so why let some scum dictate what you do with it.

Because I care more about my family than a car?

How many front doors/windows are easily 'accessed'?

I see quite a few doors that merely have Yale locks (do they meet insurers' requirements?)

Toughened glass and solid-framed, multi-lever locks essential?

Agree re having some kind of immobility gizmo built in.

But it IS crazy to have £50K+ asset sitting in the street.