Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Springs, 1995 LS, Comments Folks

Re 1995 LS 400. I've noticed a few people have had springs go on cars around this age, I have 174k on my 23.5 year old & presume the springs are original, but, rather than tempt fate I'm minded that it would be a good idea to change either all of them or maybe the front springs as I assume (only assume) they might be the first to go.

Can folks comment on the above or point point me in the direction of where to get after market springs for a 1995 LS? thanks

the prior owner of my car was the Parts Manager at Lexus Poole,   when he reinstated the original set-up ( he had changed it to DHP type ) he found just one spring had broken whilst in his storage  ...........  he re-instated the three original springs and bought one new at a cost to him of @ £100  ........  in 2011

So three original now at 202k miles and one new spring about 80k miles ago the car still seems fine regarding the springs.................... BUY  OEM methinks if they are still available

I don't think the car was very long as a DHP conversion ....  just a few months

Malc

My 1995 LS400 when five years old and at 30,000 miles had a front spring break when reversing out of my perfectly flat driveway.

It was the only time the car stranded me in my 15 years of ownership and total of 95,000 miles.

Lexus Guildford reported they had never seen such a thing happen and advised against changing the other front spring, which proved sound advice.

Might be worth a call to the service manager to hear what he says now.

My Mk3 had over over 175k on clock and springs still all okay when I got rid of (UCAs were going though)

My Mk4 had a rear spring go at about 160K, (likely a big pothole did for it). Now on 183K, and all other springs see okay.

The way the spring had broke was it made next to no difference to ride, and was only picked up at MOT.

I did have a chat with my mechanic (ex-Lexus service eng) who said only replace when they do, as he had seen LS with over 300K and still on original springs.

Just avoid driving in UK, would be best advice, or have Relay cover for when a spring goes and strands you.

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

The way the spring had broke was it made next to no difference to ride, and was only picked up at MOT.

Good grief, & I was thinking that if one went the car would suddenly drop & be all over the place or something like that. Potholes not to bad now but a couple or 5 years ago I had few bangs with them.

I had a front go with a loud bang at about 60mph.....400 MK3......gave me a scare....

thought it was a blow out at first.....managed to limp the car home about 15 miles.....

replaced with OEM and Dampers on both fronts together.....me and the wife did it in the snow [what]....its all pretty straight forward.

A few weeks later he left back went.....local garage lent me their big spring compressors as he was a good friend of mine for many years.....

He said the recent very hard frosts had taken their toll on many springs......one lad said his went over night while on the drive....

He looked out of the window and his car was right down on one side......

The cold makes old steel brittle .....

I replaced the rears and the dampers.....tell you what.....it was a great car to drive before.....but with all the dampers and springs done together....W O W. !

OK, so it's not really a big issue, just a dangerous potential if it happens.

Thats interesting moriwaki about the tempratures & steel, I notice your in Cumbria, having spent some winter time months in Penrith I know the lengthy months of cold really are cold & lengthy compared to here in south, so, over the years that suggests there would probably be a difference in the integrity of steel

My nearside rear broke recently when stood in a hotel car park but I did travel down a really pot holed lane to the cattery on the way there, both sides were down but assumed this was because of all the weight on one spring.

I replaced both sides with KYB springs and all is good.

561733ED-30D2-4AE0-BEED-1CE7299E82E7.jpeg

D0889534-6555-4174-A1EB-2AD5143293BE.jpeg

19 hours ago, dendonc said:

So what did AA do as you had no springs when they towed it? looks in great condition BTW

This is the clever bit, the AA fitted some spacers which clip around the damper piston and sit between the top of the strut and the strut top to lift the car off the springs and prevent tyre to arch problems.

4B889798-D645-4921-B884-1EBD59039ABC.jpeg

On 16/01/2018 at 5:52 PM, steve2006 said:

My nearside rear broke recently when stood in a hotel car park but I did travel down a really pot holed lane to the cattery on the way there, both sides were down but assumed this was because of all the weight on one spring.

Steve, Did you get new Top and Bottom Insulators with the Springs or were the originals still in good shape? Been looking for these Animals and can't find any. Possibly cost as much as the Springs if i do?

8 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Steve, Did you get new Top and Bottom Insulators with the Springs or were the originals still in good shape? Been looking for these Animals and can't find any. Possibly cost as much as the Springs if i do?

No, the originals were still like new with no perishing or cracks, the only bits damaged were the concertina bits on the top mounts but I made some new ones from steering rack gators and superglued them on.

Top mounts or insulators as Lexus call them are around £40.00 each but there is no listing for the lower bush?

On 16/01/2018 at 5:52 PM, steve2006 said:

I love the way the AA have put some clingfilm on the wing to stop the cable from scratching the wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

No, the originals were still like new with no perishing or cracks, the only bits damaged were the concertina bits on the top mounts but I made some new ones from steering rack gators and superglued them on.

Top mounts or insulators as Lexus call them are around £40.00 each but there is no listing for the lower bush?

Good thinking that Man !

Cheers Stuart, it was a cheap and effective solution.

Yes Mike, the AA guy was certainly very careful with the car, it was a very close call getting it on the towing dolly with the wheel width as at one point we were thinking of putting the space saver on but it made it with mm to spare.

17 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Logic? Don't go to Catteries!

Cattery comes to us, well actually ..............  the local dog grooming parlour people come over to our house daily to feed our cats when we are away on hols ............ £10 a day per visit.

Malc

sorry, it's off topic ( I guess )..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links