Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was changing the low beam headlight on the driver side which is a bit awkward to get to. It probably would have been easier if I had completely removed the filter housing but I didn't. Anyway, got the old bulb out, put a new bulb in and just loosely put it through the hole. I switched the lights on at this point to test that everything was working and it was fine. Now I should have put the lights off but I didn't, instead I went in to rotate the bulb to lock it in place. It fell out slightly, the glass of the bulb shattered and there was a bit of a bang. I put another bulb in and tested it but it didn't work. I tested with a second bulb and it didn't work. Turns out there is no voltage at the connector, I assume there was a short when the bulb smashed and it has blown a fuse.

My Lexus is a IS220D 57 plate and has the type A engine compartment fuse box. According to this the left and right headlights are on the same 30A fuse, but my passenger side light is working fine. Is there another fuse somewhere that just controls the driver side? I wouldn't have thought there would be two fuses in line. Any other ideas? 

Any help much appreciated as I can't seem to find anything online.

I recently had to replace a fuse for my drivers side power seats. There’s a small fuse box under the steering wheel,  which fuses do what are displayed in the owners manual and the lid of the fuse box has a key showing the same. Not sure this will help, the only 30amp fuse I saw under the steering column was for the power seat.

Thanks for the reply. I checked all those fuses and also the fuses in the box under the passenger seat and they are all fine. The manual only mentions the one fuse in the box under the hood for the headlights, but this one does both lights and the passenger side is working fine. If there isn't two fuses in line then surely the cable can't have burned through! The fuse stops that possibility.

Doesn't your car also have the Type B fuse box - a large squarish one just behind the left side headlight?

In there are two 15A fuses in positions 12 and 13 which also feed the headlights (the right side is no 12). I think you will find that has blown.

See pages 274 and 308 in the Owners Manual (if the you have the same edition as mine)

• Like 1

I think my manual is slightly different but it does show two types of fuse box. Engine Compartment Type A is the one I have with the single 30A fuse for both lights. It is fuse 14 and it isn't an individual fuse, the whole section needs replacing if it blows. It looks like the fuse is intact and certainly the passenger side is working fine.

My manual also details the Engine Compartment Type B which has a 15A fuse per side, but this in not the one in my car.

I think my manual is slightly different but it does show two types of fuse box. Engine Compartment Type A is the one I have with the single 30A fuse for both lights. It is fuse 14 and it isn't an individual fuse, the whole section needs replacing if it blows. It looks like the fuse is intact and certainly the passenger side is working fine.
My manual also details the Engine Compartment Type B which has a 15A fuse per side, but this in not the one in my car.
Remove the left side inner wing cover - you'll find the type B fuse box under it.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Remove the left side inner wing cover - you'll find the type B fuse box under it.

The 30A fuse is a main feeder to loads of things. The two 15A fuses are individual to each low beam headlamp.

Here are two hopefully useful diagrams.

One is the circuit diagram - you will find the two 15A fuses three quarters of the way across, next to the blue boxes representing the headlamps.

The other is a location diagram, showing the location, in particular, of Engine Room no 2 R/B, within which the two fuses in question are located.

HL.pdf

2018-01-14_165234.pdf

• Thanks 1

Ahh, so I thought the car had either a type A or a type B but it has both.

Found the second fuse box and the fuse is blown. I'll get a new fuse tomorrow and that'll fix it.

Thanks to all replies especially johnatg.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links